Does anyone else make separate meals for their s.o/kids and not hate it?

Options
2»

Replies

• amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, why worry what others think!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I do quite a bit as we just have a kind of crazy schedule. Working on more family meals is a goal. We all eat the same on the weekends.

This is a really good point... Often during the week, we just do what we can to keep our heads above water. I am a single mom with two boys. Between sports and school, it gets a little crazy around here. But when we have Sunday dinner, I make one meal and we enjoy it together.
  • sommerrosee2
    sommerrosee2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    Kids get wet/dry food. We get people food.

This made me laugh so hard! Totally sounds like something my dad would’ve said hahaha
  • sommerrosee2
    sommerrosee2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Nice to see different opinions! Yeah it definitely doesn’t bother me doing it, it just sucks when the people that give you crap about it are your family members. I mean, I get it. My parents ate what was made for them or didn’t eat. I grew up the same way, and I’m not necessarily sure when I have kids I’ll be much different. Plus, it’s kind of fun for me because I get to have my “cheat” foods on certain days that are his normal dinners. Ie, usually Mac and cheese once a week(I just eat less and have veggies too) and mashed potatoes which are probably my favorite thing on weekends ☺️
  • FitSeachely
    FitSeachely Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you loved or didn’t mind doing it then I would say go. If you don’t, I would find ways around it. Most of the time i would give him leftovers for sides and freshly cooked meat. Or cook supper for 11 and then eat the leftovers for you supper the next day.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Making your kids/s.o a separate meal is a good excuse to be more active than you would've otherwise.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I love cooking for my spouse, so if she didn't like something I made I'd be fine with making something else. I do prep both of our lunches every week, and I cook meat for hers and vegetarian for mine. Dinner she does tend to eat the same meals as me, but the toned down version. For example I'll separate out her portion before adding a lot of spices, or I'll grab one of the chunks of parmesan garlic butter I keep in the freezer for her instead of the tomato based sauce I made for myself. It's nice because it encourages her to eat more vegetables, in a more comfortable way, but also doesn't mean I'm stuck eating bland food every meal.
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it, not hard to throw some other ingredients together to make another dinner.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    OP I've done this for years. My husband eats fish, but no meat, since he was a child. I have 3 sons, now men, and 2 still eat at home. We eat together, but I make alot of food and everyone eats what they want. It's more work, but I'm just used to it, and everyone is grateful and doesn't say a word. If I get mad, I go on strike. Outsiders never comment. Do what you want, it's your life and nobody's business.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Nope and I feel no guilt at all! I tried to cook for SO but he doesn’t eat veggies or fruits so every meal I cook he will turn down. So I don’t cook for him anymore-he’s on his own, I only cook for myself. I’m losing weight and he’s gaining, to each their own
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    I think if you are ok with it then it's ok. Plus it's a nice way to show him how much u love and appreciate him. BACK OFF HATERS. lol B)
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. Because not everyone wants to eat how I’m eating. But what I’ve noticed is that my friends & family return the favor. Usually during cook-outs they’ll include healthier options for me. They’re awesome.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Last guy I was dating did that for me. And I provided acts of services (along with other "love languages") that were meaningful to him.

If it costs you nothing but a little time to show devotion to your partner, why wouldn't you? If your partner is appreciative, loving, and supportive, that's a healthy and happy cycle.

Sounds like bliss.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    thanks guys! it's just always something that has bugged me i guess. we have been together for almost two years, lived together for almost a year.it's just always what i have done. plus, i am home from work/gym by 6pm usually. i do not want to wait until 11pm to eat dinner lol and i definitely try to not eat carbs, so that is no fun for him. usually on the weekends we eat the same thing for the most part, but like some of you have said it is just modified. for example, saturdays i usually make burgers and potatoes, so i just don't have a bun and i eat a small amount of potatoes/sub in a pile of veggies. i'm okay with it like i've said, but sooo many people rag on me for doing it.

Are the people who rag on you engaged in the type of relationship you'd like to have?

If not, ignore them and smile inside.
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    I make different meals every day. I don't mind it at all because I enjoy cooking and I can usually bring one of my kiddos in to help me. I'll get help with the cleaning too, so its more of a communal thing. My parents have an opinion, and I'm sure others do too, but I figure its my house my rules my kids.

As far as my SO goes; that man gets whatever he wants with a smile...