I guess "Whole" Foods does not mean "healthy"...

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    But 700+ calories.... ouch! :/ a home made scone of same size/ weight wouldn't top 380 cals so I know which one I'll be sticking with.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Was that muffin about half the size of your head? Your math indicates that the thing should have weighed about 200 grams, which is roughly 7 ounces. Since a slice of white bread is a serving for about 1 ounce, the muffin had the calories of a tower of bread 7 slices high. Wow. They should give a prize to people who get the 'whole' thing in their mouth.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Found out a muffin Iiked from Whole Food bakery - a vegan chocolate chip muffin - has - are we ready? 780 calories. I was stunned. that is more than half my daily calories. That means a quarter of the muffin - which is not much - packs 195 calories. I wont be eating that muffin any more. What I dont get is how they can offer such an item in the bakery - and what the hey is in it that packs that many calories? I think cheesecake is even less caloric than the muffin!

There is plenty of garbage to be bought at Whole Foods.
    Having said that, which part of that muffin is whole food exactly? Because as far as I can tell its all processed.

Yeah, Whole Foods doesn't mean they sell only whole foods (and a muffin obviously is processed).

WF also sells a whole variety of stuff, including B&J's vegan ice cream, which you'd better believe is high cal.

Also, at my store, they sell Jeni's, which is not in my usual grocery.

They sell tons of high cal prepared foods, and some excellent cheese options, and -- again in my store -- a decent variety of wine and beer. Not sure why someone would think that something from WF would be low cal (or a "whole food").

They also have a really good selection of fruits and veg in my local store, and plenty of other things I like, I enjoy shopping there and am not slamming them for having a wide variety of foods like any other decent grocery.

I love my WF for their quality of fruits and veggies (organic or not), seafood and fantastic grass fed / organic meat. This is "whole food".
    Any "junky" stuff can be had MUCH much cheaper elsewhere.

Valid point. If you are going to go to a place like Whole Foods not sure why you'd go there to buy a muffin.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Found out a muffin Iiked from Whole Food bakery - a vegan chocolate chip muffin - has - are we ready? 780 calories. I was stunned. that is more than half my daily calories. That means a quarter of the muffin - which is not much - packs 195 calories. I wont be eating that muffin any more. What I dont get is how they can offer such an item in the bakery - and what the hey is in it that packs that many calories? I think cheesecake is even less caloric than the muffin!

Having said that, which part of that muffin is whole food exactly? Because as far as I can tell its all processed.

Yeah, Whole Foods doesn't mean they sell only whole foods (and a muffin obviously is processed).

WF also sells a whole variety of stuff, including B&J's vegan ice cream, which you'd better believe is high cal.

They sell tons of high cal prepared foods, and some excellent cheese options, and -- again in my store -- a decent variety of wine and beer. Not sure why someone would think that something from WF would be low cal (or a "whole food").

They also have a really good selection of fruits and veg in my local store, and plenty of other things I like, I enjoy shopping there and am not slamming them for having a wide variety of foods like any other decent grocery.

I love my WF for their quality of fruits and veggies (organic or not), seafood and fantastic grass fed / organic meat. This is "whole food".

Valid point. If you are going to go to a place like Whole Foods not sure why you'd go there to buy a muffin.

Some people will just naïvely assume that it must be "healthy" if it's sold in a "health foods" store.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Some people will just naïvely assume that it must be "healthy" if it's sold in a "health foods" store.

To me getting mad that a "health" food store sells a high calorie muffin because you personally are trying to restrict your calories to a low level is kind of like someone getting mad that a "health" food store sells peanuts because they have a peanut allergy and therefore peanuts are clearly not conducive to health.

Oh, I agree completely. I was just making an observation. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Finding *vegan* chocolate chip muffins elsewhere is going to be tricky (depending on where you live, of course).
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member

They did used to have baked goods and hot bar items that were marked to indicate that they were free of oil, refined sugar, and salt. I wish I could remember more about the line, I just remember the labels were pink and they had this vegan, No Oil Banana Date Muffin that I absolutely loved. I'm certain it wasn't particularly low calorie either, but I had no issue maintaining while eating one several times a week for dessert! It was on my way home from work and I guestimated 300 calories for it. v47qsuus3ubc.jpg
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    saragd012 wrote: »

They did used to have baked goods and hot bar items that were marked to indicate that they were free of oil, refined sugar, and salt. I wish I could remember more about the line, I just remember the labels were pink and they had this vegan, No Oil Banana Date Muffin that I absolutely loved. I'm certain it wasn't particularly low calorie either, but I had no issue maintaining while eating one several times a week for dessert! It was on my way home from work and I guestimated 300 calories for it. v47qsuus3ubc.jpg

Okay fair enough I mean if I found Whole Foods made an extremely tasty muffin then I might go to Whole Foods to buy a muffin. Point was more centered around the concept that one goes to whole foods to buy "healthy" foods and that "healthy" foods don't have a lot of calories. A concept I don't really agree with.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Was that muffin about half the size of your head? Your math indicates that the thing should have weighed about 200 grams, which is roughly 7 ounces. Since a slice of white bread is a serving for about 1 ounce, the muffin had the calories of a tower of bread 7 slices high. Wow. They should give a prize to people who get the 'whole' thing in their mouth.

Back when I did Weight Watchers in the early 00s, points had a bit more relation to calories (fiber and fat skewed things, but in general, if you assumed 50 calories=1 point, you could ballpark). At that time, they told us that muffins averaged about 100 calories per ounce. I believe bread is usually around 80/oz, exception existing, of course.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member

Because their baked goods are delicious. (And sadly, loaded with calories, which is why it's a once every month treat.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Because their baked goods are delicious. (And sadly, loaded with calories, which is why it's a once every month treat.)

I personally have never had anything from the Whole Foods bakery that wasn't delicious. And my husband says the non-vegan stuff is really good too.