How to look less approachable at the gym?

Options
I recently re-joined the gym and although I'm glad when I go, I find myself constantly trying to get away from people that just want to chat. I've tried to make sure I'm not using a machine near other people, I avoid eye-contact, I've tried looking really moody, I've tried putting my headphones on (with no music as it gives me a headache), but maybe I just have a really friendly gym, nothing works.

I'm probably coming across really mean, but I have limited time when I go to workout, I'm usually clock-watching the whole time I'm there and have to rush to fit everything in. I'm also very socially awkward, always have been, so I hate the thought of other people listening in to my conversations, I never really know what to say, over-think things after and cringe about it.

What is the best way to deal with this? I don't want to be rude and ignore people, but at the same time, I'd really rather not chat. Especially when I'm all sweaty and gross.

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    headsets.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    OP: Sounds like you're on the right track w/the headphones and absence of eye contact.

I would add the suggestion to NOT smile at anyone. Don't frown but don't smile either. Just project a flat "I don't care about you/leave me alone/I don't want to be bothered" affect.

It also helps to be totally focused just on what you are doing, rather than paying any attn to others, which requires you to ignore everyone else in the gym. Something that you say you don't like to do.

However, if you can do this, no one will want to approach you unless absolutely necessary. If you do this and people are still "bothering you," you must be giving off a contrary vibe.

Can't say what that might be w/o seeing you in context but, if you are female, it almost certainly will have something to do with your being a woman, who people view as more approachable by both men and women, and not necessarily anything that you are unintentionally doing to invite the interruptuons.

Good luck!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I wear headphones, don't wear makeup, don't smile, and don't make eye contact. If someone talks to me I give curt but not rude answers as needed and keep doing what I was doing.
  • danniej312
    danniej312 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am introvert and headphones are my best friend. I just pop them in and go about my business. No one talks to me.
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you want to be left alone you have to establish dominance:
    1. Grunt really loud during all of your lifts.
    2. Scream "lightweight baby!" after you're done a set.
    3. Find the biggest guy in the gym and slap his rear then call him soft.

That's literally it.

Thanks for the tips, I will give it a try next time I'm there :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Say you are too busy to talk right then and keep doing what you are doing.
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    OP: Sounds like you're on the right track w/the headphones and absence of eye contact.

I would add the suggestion to NOT smile at anyone. Don't frown but don't smile either. Just project a flat "I don't care about you/leave me alone/I don't want to be bothered" affect.

It also helps to be totally focused just on what you are doing, rather than paying any attn to others, which requires you to ignore everyone else in the gym. Something that you say you don't like to do.

However, if you can do this, no one will want to approach you unless absolutely necessary. If you do this and people are still "bothering you," you must be giving off a contrary vibe.

Can't say what that might be w/o seeing you in context but, if you are female, it almost certainly will have something to do with your being a woman, who people view as more approachable by both men and women, and not necessarily anything that you are unintentionally doing to invite the interruptuons.

Good luck!

I think that's just it, I look more approachable and friendly than I actually am lol. To be fair, the gym I go to is full of super friendly people, lots of stay-at-home mothers who are looking for an adult to chat to, lots of men that want to help you out. I think once I've been there a while people will get it that I'm an introvert and prefer to be left alone, maybe it's just because I'm new.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    People who are SERIOUS about training will have NO PROBLEM telling people "Just gotta say I'm limited on time. Can we chat later?" Concise and direct without being mean.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Best answer so far !
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Say "have a great day" and keep on lifting.