How Often Do You Weigh Yourself?

13»

Replies

• AuroraErratic
    AuroraErratic Posts: 9 Member
    Every day, only because it helps keep me mindful.
  • tomedog
    tomedog Posts: 33 Member
    I weigh in every Friday morning. I stopped weighing in daily because there were days I did not lose anything. I have found that I lose about 1.5 to 2lbs per week on average.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    I weigh myself every morning. But I track it only once a week on MFP.
    It's mostly just to keep myself in check, and see where I'm at. I am down 45 lbs so far!
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    JamesEfird wrote: »
    I go against "common practice" too. I weigh myself every morning, and every night. And I'm a bit of a nerd... So, I enter the weight, BF%, and BMI (cheap but fancy-ish scale) numbers into a spreadsheet which then averages out each day. Then all of the daily averages for a week get averaged out again. And those weekly averages are the numbers I really pay attention to. I can lose/gain as much as five pounds in one day, and keep up with the averages is the best way for me to track what my body is really doing.

I always weigh first thing in the morning after peeing, so there should be some consistency, but I still see ups and downs of more than a pound. I think once a week is good, but I'm not very systematic about it. I like this idea of taking a weekly average to track progress. Would be more accurate than only weighing in once per week.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Every morning. Sometimes I lose weight sometimes I gain a little but that is okay as long as it continues to follow an overall downward trend.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    daily
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    I weigh myself daily and record it on my Fitbit app. I record once a week on here (on a friday). It helps me see a trend and monthly fluctuations (I'm up 1.5lbs today on Wednesday but I'm mid cycle so I know it's ovulation gain and am not stressing about it). It's just numbers and, as long as long as I continue to log accurately etc, I know they'll go in the right direction eventually.
  • Nama_Slay
    Nama_Slay Posts: 24 Member
    I weigh myself every Sunday... That may be too often, but I used to weigh myself every week in high school and that led to nothing but horrible things! Is once a week too often??

Rarely! Scale measures everything ( water , fat, muscle etc) body fluctuates day to day, even hours to hours, my best tool is my measuring tape, how my clothes fit, and my food diary( logging honestly and logging everything)!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I see once a week as pretty reasonable, and it seems to be the most common. I usually weigh once a week, sometimes twice.

I think what matters more than how often, is your attitude to it and relationship with scale weight. If you can weigh frequently and take it for what it is / not get too hung up on a number then fine. If mentally weighing less often is more beneficial for you then do that.

Ultimately, we all have fluctuations and several things can influence how much you weigh at that time, so weighing more often can obviously show more of an up and down, which is not just going to be fat or muscle. If you can deal with that, do what makes you happy.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    every morning, second thing, with the same (no)thing on
  • sorrias123
    sorrias123 Posts: 13 Member
    I weigh daily to keep myself on track. Each morning on empty stomach/bladder. I currently average about half pound loss daily. In 19 days, I've lost 8 pounds. It's really whatever works for each individual. This works for me.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    every morning at 6:45 am Pacific time
  • slovany
    slovany Posts: 9 Member
    Once per week..same time..usually in the morning before breakfast.
  • tiffuhnee13
    tiffuhnee13 Posts: 163 Member
    Every Monday morning at the same time
  • Polybius1981
    Polybius1981 Posts: 16 Member
    I also weigh myself every Sunday. I feel like once per week shows the most significant changes when you've made progress.

I found when I was weighing myself daily I'd get discouraged due to weight fluctuations now I just get discouraged on my rest day, work out my emotion and head back to the gym the next day haha.