Temptation In The Home...

Options
So I have been making way better choices with foods than I have in the past... my fiancé likes to eat whatever he wants and will keep it in the home... how do you get past that temptation of unhealthy food in your home?!?

Replies

• DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    So I have been making way better choices with foods than I have in the past... my fiancé likes to eat whatever he wants and will keep it in the home... how do you get past that temptation of unhealthy food in your home?!?

I am dealing with that currently. Self-control is a huge key, I have to sternly think to myself: If you eat that snack cake, you'll end up eating that whole box and you'll end up like your old self.

I know deep down I probably wouldn't allow myself to eat a ton of snack cakes, but the thought that I could start going to my old ways kinda steers me away from snacking on "unhealthy" foods (ex. brownies, pizza, fried chicken, sweets with added sugar.) It's perfectly fine to have a snack that may not be very healthy to you every now and then to satisfy the craving. I found if I don't do that, I'll binge on that food without even realizing it much until after.

Each day I'll have like a few pieces of sweetened cereal (frosted mini wheats, yum) each day, or like 3 chips every so often. Not only won't it cause weight gain, it helps me get my fix. I usually eat these before a workout anyway. It might now work for you though... If you are prone to overeating on a food then I'd try and keep it away from you so you can't see it (Maybe your finace can hide it somewhere special so only he knows where it is? I used to have an intense craving for peanut butter and I had someone hide it from me because I didn't want to go out and buy more lol.)
  • amandawhatup62
    amandawhatup62 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

I am dealing with that currently. Self-control is a huge key, I have to sternly think to myself: If you eat that snack cake, you'll end up eating that whole box and you'll end up like your old self.

I know deep down I probably wouldn't allow myself to eat a ton of snack cakes, but the thought that I could start going to my old ways kinda steers me away from snacking on "unhealthy" foods (ex. brownies, pizza, fried chicken, sweets with added sugar.) It's perfectly fine to have a snack that may not be very healthy to you every now and then to satisfy the craving. I found if I don't do that, I'll binge on that food without even realizing it much until after.

Each day I'll have like a few pieces of sweetened cereal (frosted mini wheats, yum) each day, or like 3 chips every so often. Not only won't it cause weight gain, it helps me get my fix. I usually eat these before a workout anyway. It might now work for you though... If you are prone to overeating on a food then I'd try and keep it away from you so you can't see it (Maybe your finace can hide it somewhere special so only he knows where it is? I used to have an intense craving for peanut butter and I had someone hide it from me because I didn't want to go out and buy more lol.)

I wish we could hide food in my home lol
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Ooh, is the food perishable, or do you think you'll find it?
  • amandawhatup62
    amandawhatup62 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

My biggest temptation is ice cream
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about buying lower calorie items to replace the food you want to eat? I'm not an ice cream person, but I know there are products out there. I'm a big chip person and I've been doing pretzels and baked chips when I want them. Funny, I don't seem to get the urge to eat chips as much anymore. It does take some work to get over those humps, but I have realized (finally after many years) that I would rather lose the weight then have chips, and other salty crunchy snacks.
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've been a binge eater for years. When I first started losing on mfp I was controlling it a LOT better, but that was about 2-3 years ago. Doing terrible lately. Just going to not buy any chocolate because I end up eating the whole box..
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options

My biggest temptation is ice cream

[i]...oh...I was going to suggest to stash it all in the freezer...
    I actually have to keep my stash of temptations in the trunk of my car. Probably wouldn't work in your situation though since it's your guy's food. Can you talk to him about your struggles and maybe you guys can work something out.

Good luck
    [/i]
  • iamabeetle
    iamabeetle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I threw everything out! lol. I know that may not be the best answer but when I had an overhaul of my diet, I did the same to my cupboard and I don't allow crap in the house. My husband and 3 children don't particularly like this but they know that it's the best for them as well (we did used to have a lot of crap). I only became really serious about my weight loss and health in October last year and that's when I took such drastic measures. It's worked for me so far.
  • neville1202
    neville1202 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I can do a 300 calorie burn out in the gym each day, or a jog round the block for 40 minutes it gives me a lot more headroom firvthe odd snack.
  • tonyv325
    tonyv325 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I threw some chillis from my garden in my stirfry last night and not being aware how hot they were I overdone it. Tasted delicious but man it was hot. With my mouth on fire I went into the kitchen and seen my son scooping out huge wads of chocolate ice cream. Beautiful cold ice cream. I turned around and walked out. Nothing to see here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of really good nutrition...like the bulk of my diet. I also eat a little junk food and have something for desert most every night.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I try not to eliminate all the foods that I love (ice cream) totally. I try to work them into my calorie plan, but with a reasonable amount. If I can have a small portion, I am finding I CAN be satisfied by it. Would that work for you>

This is me too. Greasy french fries is my downfall. If a coworker comes in with some I steal one then I am fine.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    That's on you.
    I don't see why he should compromise because you do not have he willpower. Who are you losing weight for yourself or him?
    We have cashews, peanuts (my weakest link). Every time I enter the kitchen we both look at each other, and I say to them not today.
    This is not to say I do not eat them, but I leave that for the weekends when I allow myself some peanuts/cashews as my weekend treat. The rest of the time, not interested.
  • Gracegen14
    Gracegen14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @amandawhatup62 I do not know how far along you are on your journey but I have lost 105 lbs and had the same issue but with my adult kids having their snack foods around and other items that I just could not eat any longer. I will say that continuing to fuel your body with better foods will reduce the cravings you have for those foods that contain empty calories - for example: I LOVED donuts and ice cream before losing weight and getting fit but now even the thought of that is not appealing to me. I do have cheat days wherein I allow myself some of those indulgences but I often do not feel satisfied after eating them so those are few and far between. If you are doing this to get healthy and feel better, then you have to stay focused on that. You will find the strength and willpower to do it!