Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Options

Replies

• ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Well after staying the course because I didn't loose any weight last week, even though I was AF, I'm happy to report that I'm down a pound this week! Thanks guys for recommended more water, I pounded the water bottle hard this week instead of the bottle, LOL. Happy Friday!

A big drop like this called a 'whoosh'. Congratus.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I keep seeing this thread pop up and just really debated on whether I should comment or not. I am actually a recovering alcoholic and have been sober for a year and a half. I wanted to say hello and also add that since I’ve gotten sober, the sky is the limit with my health and fitness goals. I’ve never felt and looked better. So I commend all of you! I for one know it’s not easy :smile:

welcome
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I'd love to participate in this group. For right now my goal is to moderate. I'm hoping that will work. This past year has been a tough one (suffering from a bit of depression after a death in the family) and I found myself drinking way too much. And when I drink, good eating habits go out the window.

I managed to gain a lot of weight in one year and it's taken a toll on my body. My husband is helping me with both. I'm actually having him lock the liquor cabinets so I'm not tempted to just have a drink during the day. When we drink it's together and I'm counting the alcohol calories just as I do with food.

So far so good. But last night I found myself pouring a little extra wine. Unfortunately I'm all about the buzz more than the savoring. We'll see how it goes. I want to be able to drink with him. We love doing wine tastings on our trips, quite often to Oregon and we love really good beer. I'm hoping I can get it under control.

Down 6 pounds since Feb 1 and know less alcohol is a big factor.

Great weight loss! It's nice you have a supportive husband. Looking forward to hearing how youre doing this month. We're here for you. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Alcohol gave me wings then took away my sky.

(4+ years AF).

Beautiful quote. I imagine very, very true. So happy for you- 4 years and going strong. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Yesterday was day one and it was easy because I had a lot to do after work. It helps that I have been moderating for a while because now I don't think about not having alcohol. Today is Friday and I am looking forward to a sober evening. I have come to really enjoy waking up early on Saturday with energy and a whole day in front of me. As others have mentioned, looking at it from a positive angle rather than a sacrifice has made a world of difference for me.

Totally agree. The feeling of waking up refreshed and ready for the day - especially on a weekend when the days is all yours - really can't be beat. It may be hard to shift our thinking of being AF from negative to positive, but we have to keep reminding ourselves that it really is about freedom.

Now, having said all that, I still find that witching hour tough (for me it's about 5 to 7 p.m.). One thing that works for me is having a distraction or having something to do/somewhere to go that doesn't involve drinking. Tonight, we're off to the movies. The only thing I will be indulging in is popcorn!

I'm with you and @lporter229 ! Waking up on a Saturday morning hangover free is an amazing feeling. I'm going to bed now, but I look forward to waking up after a calm sleep and having that first sip of coffee.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    ehseeker wrote: »
    Love this thread and the insight shared by all. It has helped me moderate my drinking and given me a new way to look at it. Instead of thinking "it's been 3 days since I had a drink" I'm focused on the opposite end of the stick, as Abraham would say and think "I'm 3 days af." It feels more like gaining something as opposed to losing. For those that can't moderate and are refraining, it is such a good thing you are doing for yourself and your loved ones. Being married to a 'functioning alcoholic' for almost 20 years I've experienced the harm it does to the alcoholic and to their loved ones. My ex, and other heavy drinkers, miss out on so much of the good in life and, eventually lose their health. I'm so moved by those of you who recognize there is a problem and are working for a better way to go on. My new run, 1 day af.

True, Abraham says focus on what you want and NOT on what you don't want or don't have.

Regarding alcoholics who miss out on so much good in life... I was reminded of a video I watched on YouTube. A young man made the video about his mom , who is a drunk. It was very hard to watch. I felt for both of them. He wasn't shaming her by making the video. But he was showing how her drinking affects everyone in the house and breaks his heart to see her like this. It was eye-opening and tragic.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    How is it that I can moderate completely when I'm babysitting grandkids for a month, but start slipping back after? I think I'm sabotaging myself, but not sure why. I have to figure it out or I lose. :(

I can understand what you are saying. I am fine with no alcohol when im living away on my own.

As soon as i come home with the environment, pressure and the responsiblity .. I'm totally different person.
    I have my goal and my back up supporters on my mind as soon as i think of giving in.
    Also thing of some strategies for when i get into a difficult situation... I'm with u in this..xo and lots of awesome family here too. U aren't the only one you can be reassured.