Looking for new friends who quit sugar/eat clean :)

Options
12346»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you read the thread more thoroughly, you'll see that nobody really denies that overall nutrition is important. CICO is not a way to do anything, it's the process behind any weight gain, loss or maintenance. "Clean eating" is not even necessarily doing anything extreme - when asked for clarification, it's usually very similar to diets that people who don't claim to "eat clean", have. But it's not necessarily a healthy diet, because it's more about restricting foods than adding variety, and the mentality that comes with it, makes for an unhealthy relationship with food.

I was going to respond, but you already said what I would.

This whole "if you don't eat clean you don't care about nutrition" is an infuriating strawman, but it's not coming from OP. It's not her fault that in a false belief that they are defending her that others (sadly) need to make such silly claims and ignore what's actually been said in the thread.

My reading is that OP wants to talk about nutrition and ideas for eating healthfully and so on, which is why I'm here (and why I think a lot of us who don't self identify as eating clean could contribute).

OP, I do think your approach to eating in reality may well be much like mine and kommodevaran's and others's, so I'm interested in what you find fun and what you find difficult or challenging and what you want ideas on.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »

No they don't.

Other than potassium they contain almost no vitamins and minerals.

White sugar (100g)
    1.0 mg calcium
    2.0 mg potassium
    0.6 mcg selenium
    1.0 mcg fluoride

Honey (100g)
    0.3g protein
    0.5 mg vitamin c
    0.1 mg niacin
    2.0 mcg folate
    0.1 mg pantothenic acid
    2.2 mg choline
    1.7 mg betaine
    6.0 mg calcium
    0.4 mg iron
    2.0 mg magnesium
    4.0 mg phosphorus
    52.0 mg potassium
    4.0 mg sodium
    0.2 mg zinc
    0.1 mg maganese
    0.8 mcg selenium
    8.0 mcg fluoride

Is it a good source of anything? Not really. Is it a better source than white sugar? Absolutely.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5592/2
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5568/2

You have a weird definition of "better".
  • angelgirlee
    angelgirlee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did a clean eating "challenge" a couple of years ago for the month of February. I learned a great deal about all the fake food I was eating. Though I normally try to eat healthy on a regular basis, I started this again for the month of March to get myself back on an even better eating routine and to branch out to a wider variety of food. Good luck in your adventure iamabeetle!!
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Fitness begins with being leaner. So many people complain that they don’t understand why they can’t loose weight or why their overweight, when they say they eat healthy. I guess they probably mean they don’t eat lots of sugary snacks or snacks filled with lots of oils. Deductive reasonings would lead me to believe then that they overeat these so called clean foods. These are people I know personally. Like family, so I saw their eating habits. I came to the conclusion that they simply over eat their allotted calories for the day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    iamabeetle wrote: »
    In the last 4 months I have probably been doing what you and others have been doing for years.

I eat a lot of vegetables, natural yogurt and fish.

I'm finding it fun to try new things. The 'brand name' that I am using is called 'Healthy Mummy' and there are lots of recipes and things like that which I enjoy accessing. I am doing well with my meal planning (there are 5 of us who live in the household) but need to get better at meal prep to save time. I'm looking at increasing my protein (that's my challenge this week) and I do find it challenging to curb my cravings (sorry for TMI but mainly during that time of the month) but I am doing an AMAZING job with what I am doing.

Like I said in the beginning, it's the only thing that has worked for me. I have lost 23.1kg (50.02lb) in 4 months and I am enjoying my life again. I did my first Parkrun today (5km/3.1 miles) and did so well. Things that I never thought I would enjoy doing, I am embracing.

I am looking at having surgery soon. I have 20kg (44lb) of loose skin that hangs below my bellybutton that gets in my way. I am hoping to have that done this year (I need to save lots of money or rob a bank!). This will help my mobility. Life is great and I am finally enjoying living for the first time in a long time.

Thanks for checking back in. I'm glad you're seeing success! Hopefully more people will read to the end of the thread instead of rehashing the same two-month-old arguments :)
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I don't understand we are getting woo-ed for saying we want to eat in a way that does not consist of processed foods? Please tell me what is so "woo" about that? Just because you choose to not eat organic or Non-GMO, that's fine, but don't attack the people who want to. OP, there is a Clean Eating Group you can join. Posting in the "ordinary" forum will get you attacked.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The conversation that's going on will probably scare other like-minded people away from this thread, which is a bit of a shame. I would've loved to come in contact with more people who are interested in eating this way.

If facts are going to scare people away, then we have a real problem. As a diabetic, I can't just magically add maple syrup instead of brown sugar because it is somehow a better option FOR ANYBODY.
  • blackcatfitness
    blackcatfitness Posts: 57 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Feel free to add me.

I am on month 3 of eating whole food plant based 'diet' (its a lifestyle now)
    yes it's different from being a vegan but similiar aspects
    I eat the fruits and vegetables that come from my garden in my own backyard
    I post pictures often and am always looking to inspire others to go WFPB!

I'm down 20lbs

30lbs to go!

• vix576
    vix576 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In the last 4 months I have probably been doing what you and others have been doing for years.

I'm finding it fun to try new things. The 'brand name' that I am using is called 'Healthy Mummy' and there are lots of recipes and things like that which I enjoy accessing. I am doing well with my meal planning (there are 5 of us who live in the household) but need to get better at meal prep to save time. I'm looking at increasing my protein (that's my challenge this week) and I do find it challenging to curb my cravings (sorry for TMI but mainly during that time of the month) but I am doing an AMAZING job with what I am doing.

Like I said in the beginning, it's the only thing that has worked for me. I have lost 23.1kg (50.02lb) in 4 months and I am enjoying my life again. I did my first Parkrun today (5km/3.1 miles) and did so well. Things that I never thought I would enjoy doing, I am embracing.

I am looking at having surgery soon. I have 20kg (44lb) of loose skin that hangs below my bellybutton that gets in my way. I am hoping to have that done this year (I need to save lots of money or rob a bank!). This will help my mobility. Life is great and I am finally enjoying living for the first time in a long time.

Hi.

I’m new to the site and, to be totally honest, have found some of the comments on this thread hilarious in the way people have reacted.

Way to go for your clean eating/living. I take my hat off to you. I’m interested in losing weight and as and when I find a recipe I like I will definitely share it with you.

I live in Italy so everything here is covered in olive oil, so as long as you don’t have a problem with that, I’m sure I can find you some good stuff to eat.

Keep on the road your on, it’s obviously working, and well done on the run.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    vix576 wrote: »

Hi.

I’m new to the site and, to be totally honest, have found some of the comments on this thread hilarious in the way people have reacted.

Way to go for your clean eating/living. I take my hat off to you. I’m interested in losing weight and as and when I find a recipe I like I will definitely share it with you.

I live in Italy so everything here is covered in olive oil, so as long as you don’t have a problem with that, I’m sure I can find you some good stuff to eat.

Is it just as hilarious how the ones you find hilarious are the ones who are successful? People keep falling for the same stupid crap over and over and then complain that it is not their fault. It is processed food? Sugar? Fat? The government? Or maybe Garfield the cat made them fat? Yeah, that's it.

Don't be gullible. Your health and your pocket book with thank you.
  • vix576
    vix576 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    vix576 wrote: »

Hi.

Is it just as hilarious how the ones you find hilarious are the ones who are successful? People keep falling for the same stupid crap over and over and then complain that it is not their fault. It is processed food? Sugar? Fat? The government? Or maybe Garfield the cat made them fat? Yeah, that's it.

Don't be gullible. Your health and your pocket book with thank you.

I think I found the fervour of some people a little over the top. My intention was not to offend. We all know what our own personal pitfalls are, but this site is supposed to support and encourage, or so I thought - not criticise or be superior. Just my opinion.

Well done to everybody who is managing to lose/gain/maintain weight, for those who need to, and eating healthily in the process.

I look forward to reading more
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options

It sounds like you've made great progress.

I see you're working on increasing protein. The thread below was a great help to me in identifying calorie-efficient protein foods I enjoy, that might not otherwise have occurred to me.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Lemurcat12 mentioned the 10 veggie/fruit per day challenge. That's had a couple of active rounds, is in a bit of lull now, but may be worth reading for ideas/tips/cautions, and I'm sure some of the regulars would reply to new posts. That's here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10521320/10-a-day-800g-veggie-fruit-challenge-participants-check-in

Now, I'll risk a word of background on the mini-controversy about terminology and methods.

Many (not all) of the self-labeled "clean eaters" say they have been at it for a couple of months now, and are seeing great benefits from improved nutrition. That's a wonderful thing! It's easy to let an evangelical tone creep in, at that stage, and for other readers to find it that tone off-putting.

On the flip side, many of those who may seem "anti clean eating" are people who've been using MFP for literally years, who themselves have successfully lost weight here, and are now in weight maintenance/fitness improvement mode. They're truly trying to help. It's common - not universal - to see "new eating religion" posts from people who soon struggle, or don't last. If your new way of eating is perfect for you, that won't be you, but in the overall population of new MFPers, it's sadly common. The "old hands" have probably tried milder argumentation (on others) and are now at a bit of desperation to stop new people from leaping off that same cliff. (Some of the "old hands" have themselves lept off that cliff, before finding a different path to success.) So, they want to help, but may come across as strident or angry, after having been through this dialog dozens, maybe hundreds, of times.

Me, I'm a 43-year vegetarian (age 62), got fat then obese eating lots (lots! ;) ) of home-prepared whole foods, stayed obese for decades that way, became very active (even competing regularly as an athlete) while obese, yet had high cholesterol/high blood pressure and other major obesity-correlated health issues while bring active and eating whole foods.

When I came to MFP and started counting calories, I lost about a third of my body weight, becoming a thin, active vegetarian rather than an obese one. I didn't much change what I ate, but did change portions and proportions. I didn't much chsnge workout routine. With that body weight change, my cholesterol levels became solidly normal, and my blood pressure low normal. I've had people on MFP who see my diary call me a "clean eater", but that's a term I personally don't like to use, as it's so poorly defined as to be meaningless. I do like the occasional gooey dessert or craft beer, regularly put "added sugar" (blackstrap molasses) in my oatmeal, and eat "processed foods" like cheese and black-bean chips! I'm taking my first significant break from logging right now, at the start of year 3 maintaining a healthy weight.

MFP is a great tool, and there's lots of good info in the forums. A bit of sometimes-messy dialectic is part of what keeps forum content on a mostly sound scientific basis, so thick skin can be a help at times! ;)

Congratulations on all you've achieved so far, and best wishes for continued excellent progress!