How much calories do you have eat to lose weight?

Options
Ok so I’ve been doing a lot of reading and some sites say to eat 1500 calories to lose weight but then I did my macro calculation for my body goals on another site and it said 1910 calories and that’s what I’ve been eating by ...I’m trying to lose weight and let’s say I workout and burn 500-700 calories at the gym does that mean I’m practically at 1500 calorie diet or less since I work out and go by my 1910 calorie intake??

Replies

• TerranandKaylynsmommy
    TerranandKaylynsmommy Posts: 321 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I eat between 1300-1500 when I don't work out and more if I do. If you eat less than your bmr or at your bmr and work out you should lose weight
  • 39andfat
    39andfat Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The food app on here will tell you how many you can eat depending on age weight, sex and what you wanns lise a week
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    MFP will give you your goal based on what you put in and calorie amounts will vary person to person depending on weight, activity etc.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Cassidy95c wrote: »
    Ok so I’ve been doing a lot of reading and some sites say to eat 1500 calories to lose weight but then I did my macro calculation for my body goals on another site and it said 1910 calories and that’s what I’ve been eating by ...I’m trying to lose weight and let’s say I workout and burn 500-700 calories at the gym does that mean I’m practically at 1500 calorie diet or less since I work out and go by my 1910 calorie intake??

Trial and error is best. I usually start in the higher range...in my case I start at 2800 calories (I am a man which explains the higher calories intake) and I stick with it for 3 weeks. If I lose weight at a reasonable pace (usually 0,5 lbs to 1 lbs per week for me)...that means I stick with 2800 calories until I am not longer losing weight. If I lose weight way too fast, that means my calories are too low and I need to increase it by 100-300 calories depending on how large the deficit is. If I am gaining weight, well you guessed it, I decrease my calories by 150-300 (depending how much I gained). At some point you will get your numbers right.

Every individual is different, some people burn more than other despite having the same weight and height.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You have to eat less calories than you burn to lose weight. That number will be different for each person depending on several different factors. A calculator might put you in the ballpark, but then you have to make adjustments based upon your own real world results.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I am a 61yo female. 5'4" work 5 days a week that has me on my feet. I eat 1400. I lose 1/2 lb a week and sometimes 1 1/2 a week. I am very comfie at 1400 calories.
  • Cassidy95c
    Cassidy95c Posts: 28 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    This makes sense so I’m gonna give it some time cause I started my weightloss about a lil over 2 weeks now and I lost 5.6 pounds already I’m gonna have to give it more time til I no longer loose weight on my 1910 calorie intake and adjust the calories lower til I keep loosing weight
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,444 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    This makes sense so I’m gonna give it some time cause I started my weightloss about a lil over 2 weeks now and I lost 5.6 pounds already I’m gonna have to give it more time til I no longer loose weight on my 1910 calorie intake and adjust the calories lower til I keep loosing weight

Do you weigh less than 280 pounds? If so, your current weight loss rate may be unhealthfully fast. It's possible that your loss rate will slow down - sometimes we lose a little faster for the first couple of weeks.

You're probably OK to continue on your current course for another couple of weeks, especially if you're over 200 pounds now, to see how your longer term average loss rate comes out, as long as you don't experience fatigue, weakness, or other negative symptoms. If any of those hasppen, eat more.

On the other hand, if you're just trying to lose 10 pounds or so, you're potentially already in risky territory.

A good health-risk-reduction rule of thumb is to lose no more than 1% of your body weight weekly, on average. Even less than that (slower) is safer if you have less than about 50 pounds to lose. Very fast loss rates are suitable only under close medical supervision. Losing too fast may not have immediate external symptoms . . . but the consequences can catch up with you.

I love to see people achieve their weight loss goals . . . while staying strong and healthy. Best wishes for success and health!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Do you weigh less than 280 pounds? If so, your current weight loss rate may be unhealthfully fast. It's possible that your loss rate will slow down - sometimes we lose a little faster for the first couple of weeks.

You're probably OK to continue on your current course for another couple of weeks, especially if you're over 200 pounds now, to see how your longer term average loss rate comes out, as long as you don't experience fatigue, weakness, or other negative symptoms. If any of those hasppen, eat more.

On the other hand, if you're just trying to lose 10 pounds or so, you're potentially already in risky territory.

A good health-risk-reduction rule of thumb is to lose no more than 1% of your body weight weekly, on average. Even less than that (slower) is safer if you have less than about 50 pounds to lose. Very fast loss rates are suitable only under close medical supervision. Losing too fast may not have immediate external symptoms . . . but the consequences can catch up with you.

I love to see people achieve their weight loss goals . . . while staying strong and healthy. Best wishes for success and health!

I wouldn't worry about losing weight too fast based on the results of the first two weeks, especially for someone who is eating 1910 calories a day.

OP, if you're still losing more than 2 lbs a week in your fourth week of eating at 1910 calories, you should increase your intake, unless your weight is well above 200 lbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options

Since you're here on MFP, it will be simplest to just plug your stats into MFP and let it set your calorie goal. Then you eat back the percentage of the calories you earned from exercise that works for you. You could start at 50% and adjust as needed.

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1