August Challenge Team 7 Drop It 'Cause We're Hot(Closed Grou

Options

Replies

• sass30
    sass30 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    In order to keep track of the miles we have all run/walked/jogged I think we should start a running list or this is going to be really hard to keep track of. Plus it would help to motivate us to do more if we could see how close/far from the 100 mile goal we are.
    So just post your screen name under the last person on the list and then the miles you have done and change the total once you have added. I will have more miles to post later today, so I will post my name under the last person on the list. I hope this makes sense. If someone has a better idea please feel free to throw it out there.

100 miles Team Challenge

sass30 - 4 miles

Total - 4 miles
  • jadery24
    jadery24 Posts: 53
    Options
    100 miles Team Challenge

sass30 - 4 miles
    jadery24 - 7 miles

Total - 11 miles
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    This is so good I could eat the whole thing myself. Wegman's is a grocery store chain in upstate NY where I live, there are other great recipes on Wegmans.com if anyone is interested.

Butternut Squash with Baby Spinach (serves 8)

2 pkgs (20 oz each) Food You Feel Good About Cleaned & Cut Butternut Squash, cut in 1-inch cubes
    2 large red onions, peeled, chopped (about 4 cups)
    3 Tbsp Wegmans Basting Oil
    Wegmans Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste
    1 pkg (6 oz) Food You Feel Good About Fresh Baby Spinach
    3/4 cup Food You Feel Good About Sweetened Dried Cranberries

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine squash and onions on large baking sheet; drizzle with basting oil. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper; toss lightly.

Roast 55 min, until tender and brown. Toss squash, spinach, and dried cranberries in large shallow serving dish.

Nutrition Info: Each serving (1 cup) contains 140 calories, 26 g carbohydrate, (4 g fiber), 2 g protein, 5 g fat, (0 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, and 40 mg sodium.
    Calories: 140

YUM thanks for sharing
  • themommie
    Options
    100 miles Team Challenge

sass30 - 4 miles
    jadery24 - 7 miles
    themommie-5 miles

Total - 16 miles
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    100 miles Team Challenge

sass30 - 4 miles
    jadery24 - 7 miles
    themommie-5 miles
    mkaluzny - 6

Total - 22 miles
  • themommie
    Options
    Sweet and Sour Chicken

I wanted to use up some fresh pineapple I had in the refrigerator so I decided to try a recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken that I found on Simply Recipes a long time ago. It was such an easy recipe to make and it took just minutes to prepare. My entire family loved this dish - especially my kids who both had seconds. I served this sweet and sour chicken over steamed rice for a delicious and healthy meal.

Sweet and Sour Chicken:
    Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
    Original Recipe from Simply Recipes
    1 tbsp olive oil, divided
    2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch chunks
    2 tsp corn starch
    1 egg white
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup sweet yellow onion, chopped
    3-4 baby red, yellow or orange bell peppers, chopped
    1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
    1/4 cup of ketchup
    1/4 cup of pineapple juice
    1/4 cup of white vinegar
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tsp fresh ginger

Combine the chicken pieces, cornstarch, egg white and salt in a bowl and set aside for a few minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, pineapple juice, vinegar and brown sugar. Taste the sauce and add more brown sugar if desired.

Heat a large skillet or wok over medium high heat until HOT. Add 1/2 tbsp oil and swirl to coat. Add the chicken and spread out into one layer. Let the chicken cook, untouched for 1 minute, until the bottoms are browned. Flip the chicken with a spatula then continue to cook for an additional minute. The chicken should still be pinkish in the middle. Remove from the skillet onto a plate, leaving as much oil in the pan as possible.

Add the remaining 1/2 tbsp oil to the skillet then add the onion. Cook for 1-2 minutes then add the bell pepper and ginger. Fry the vegetables for 1 minute then add the pineapple chunks and the sweet and sour sauce. Turn the heat up to high and add the chicken pieces back in. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. The best way to tell if the chicken is done is to take a piece out and cut in half. If it's pink, add another minute to the cooking. Serve over steamed rice. Enjoy.

I got this recipe from For The Love Of Cooking........cals 175 add the extra cals for the rice......YUM
  • sass30
    Options
    Fantastic news everyone! Gary6030 posted this earlier:

AUGUST CHALLENGE NEWS UPDATE! The 100 mile team challenge can be done anyhow you like run, jog, walk, bike, swim. Doesn't matter. IT DOES Need to be extra. So if you typically bike 10 miles a day anything above that would count. Remember it's all about extra and pushing more! Keep up the great work.
  • sass30
    Options
    100 miles Team Challenge

sass30 - 4 miles
    jadery24 - 7 miles
    themommie-5 miles
    mkaluzny - 6
    sass30 - 2

Total - 24 miles
  • mkaluzny
    Options
    Hey team,

No pressure but I am collecting recipes. Let's get a few more on the site. Good job with the other challenges. Hang in there - only 22 more days in August.
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    100 miles Team Challenge

sass30 - 4 miles
    jadery24 - 7 miles
    themommie-5 miles
    mkaluzny - 6
    sass30 - 2
    bhurley1424 - 1

Total - 25 miles

Sorry - I feel like I'm lagging behind. I don't know how you do it! I'm going to try to walk tonight but will probably only get in the extra mile I need for challenge. I did do the swimmer's presses though!
  • RickyBobby07
    Options
    Water intake completed, challenge completed, weighed myself today lost another 8lbs, have lost a total of 31lbs, but not done yet.
  • mkaluzny
    Options
    Water - 10 cups
    Exercise done (even the extra miles) I like swimmers presses.
    Calories under goal

Is anyone else finding it hard to get near their calorie goal? I can only eat back so many exercise calories. I have resorted to eating more peanut butter and bread.
  • bhurley1424
    Options
    Water - 10 cups
    Exercise done (even the extra miles) I like swimmers presses.
    Calories under goal

Is anyone else finding it hard to get near their calorie goal? I can only eat back so many exercise calories. I have resorted to eating more peanut butter and bread.

Yep - I have the same problem. I'll eat peanut butter and apple - my favorite! :bigsmile:
  • bhurley1424
    Options
    :bigsmile: All challenges met for the day!! :bigsmile:
  • zukekitty
    zukekitty Posts: 185
    Options
    Only met the water goal today. Still sick :(
  • spurradic
    spurradic Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    hey hey :) im checking in this morning for yesterday. i met water and calorie goals, but only the only challenge i addressed was the extra mile, but i do have 4 miles to add to the challenge because of it! hopefully today will be better for my exercise challenges! :) keep up the great work team!

100 miles Team Challenge

sass30 - 4 miles
    jadery24 - 7 miles
    themommie-5 miles
    mkaluzny - 6
    sass30 - 2
    bhurley1424 - 1
    spurradic - 4

Total - 29 miles
  • mkaluzny
    Options
    100 miles Team Challenge

sass30 - 4 miles
    jadery24 - 7 miles
    themommie-5 miles
    mkaluzny - 6
    sass30 - 2
    bhurley1424 - 1
    spurradic - 4
    mkaluzny - 3 on treadmill

Total 32
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I just wanted to stop and let you know that Sass has agreed to be the new team captain. When I signed up to be captain, I didn't realize that I would be moving in the middle of it and applying for a new job and all those changes. I'm going to be on the team, I just know that I was not being the best team captain for everybody. I'm sorry about my neglect!

If everyone could send Sass an updated weight and a starting weight (I sent her most of them) and their successes with the challenges last week, it would be much appreciated. I never got a chance to switch them over to a spreadsheet, so I think it would be easier if she could get the info that way.

Thanks for your understanding and I will continue to do the challenges!!

Jackie
  • seballard09
    Options
    Here's my recipe: (and by the way, I am NOT a huge fan of zucchini or summer squash, but I LOVE this recipe!)

Summer Squash - Serves 6

2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 Tbsp minced garlic (more or less depending on personal preference)
    1 medium onion, sliced
    2 small zucchini
    2 small summer squash
    2 cans Rotel (diced tomato with chilis)
    1 bay leaf
    2 tsp Italian seasoning
    1 tsp salt
    Pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in large skillet, add minced garlic and brown. Once garlic is browned, add sliced onion and cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Add in zucchini, summer squash, Rotel, bay leaf, Italion seasoning, salt, and pepper and stir. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until squash and zucchini are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf prior to serving, and enjoy!

Nutritional information:
    Calories - 65
    Fat - 5 g
    Sodium - 400 mg
    Total carbs - 5.5 g (Fiber 1.5 g)
    Protein - 1.5 g
  • sass30
    Options
    100 miles Team Challenge

sass30 - 4 miles
    jadery24 - 7 miles