Replies

• Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee at all.
  • AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wait until after I workout and enjoy my coffee as a post-workout reward lol. But before and during my workout, I prefer powerade! :D
  • Smallville127
    Smallville127 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    IIRC, I'm told that if you exercise first thing, you are using cortisol. If you drink caffeine first thing, with early exercising, your body won't make the cortisol any longer.

My understanding: our cortisol levels are naturally higher in the AM anyway. Exercise doesn't "use" it, we don't want to maximize the amount we make, and drinking coffee doesn't impair the production of it.

I am not an expert though. Do you happen to have any sources for this?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would guess that, if you are rising and hurrying off to the gym before work, that eating wouldn't make much of a difference. Your body would not have time to digest much of it and utilize the energy it provided. But I do not really know.
    Caffeine is an excellent. activity performance-enhancer. But, even caffeine, which get absorbed fairly quickly, takes 20 plus minutes to have its effects.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have a cup before my morning workout but it's more out of habit than to help me. I try to at least eat half a banana for some fuel. I'm not one of those people who can work out on an empty stomach. Experiment with a light snack and/or coffee and see if it helps you.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I put my gym clothes on and feed the cats but that's about my limit before coffee. I almost always make sure I get up early enough for a coffee and a small breakfast of fruit and yoghurt or a mini bagel or something. I take another coffee in my super keep warm mug and have that after.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I always have coffee (with a splash of milk) first thing in the morning. If I am feeling hungry before working out, I will have half a protein bar or a banana (I'll finish the other half with my second cup after the gym). I don't know if the coffee helps my workout...but it does help me get my kids up and off to school in the morning.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I need a cup of tea and usually a light breakfast before my workout... I don't have my first coffee until I arrive at the office.
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    So I've tried coffee yesterday morning and yes it did make a big difference my workout rocked! Definitely helped me .
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person but I wake and 3:45 and am in the gym at 5 am for 5 years now
    Always always always drink coffee.
  • amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have a thrive lifestyle mix. I use to drink coffee all the time. I now have as treat and if i do its in the afternoon.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    I like coffee, but I'm not getting up early enough to have it before my workout.

Instead I put my hydration mix (that has a teensy bit of caffeine in it from green tea) and a BCAA (from my research fasted workouts are about the only thing they are actually useful for) into my water bottle and hit the gym for a good 2 hour workout. This combo seems to be working pretty well and keeping my energy levels up during the workouts.
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I'm not a morning person but I wake and 3:45 and am in the gym at 5 am for 5 years now
    Always always always drink coffee.

That's awesome so inspiring:)

• netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I love coffee... but I don't drink it before working out, it has a tendency to make me feel sick or give me heartburn
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    No Coffee = no movement of any kind
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Its difficult for me to do much without coffee. And I cant eat immediately upon waking. So coffee then a short, fasted work out if I do it in the mornings. If I had lots of time to work out and didnt have time restrictions Id probably try to down a protein shake or something. I have used my coffee with protein powder too to save time. To each their own!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I do in the morning on the way to the gym.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    sometimes during