Treadmills vs. Elliptical Trainers

Options

Replies

• birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    A couple of more thoughts on the elliptical....Make sure you get one with magnetic resistance...Also, do your research before you purchase...Google the make and model number of the ones you might be interested in and look at the customer reviews...Some may have a top brand name, but are built like crap....
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I love the tr. but the ell. is awesome! You can always go out and walk. :)
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    I have both and unless you are on the bottom floor, your neighbors are going to complain. My treadmill folds up and my elliptical does not. I love the elliptical more though and I think it might make less noise..

I rent privately like half a duplex. noise isn't an issue. good point though!
  • sthompson29
    Options
    I don't own either, but I go to the gym and I don't find that the elliptical burns more calories for me. I set my treadmil on a 10 incline and walk at 4 mph and burn more calories than I do on the elliptical for the same amount of time. Maybe I am not putting the elliptical on the right settings... IDK, but I like the treadmill more.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'd get a kettlebell, and do my running outside. Wait... That's exactly what I do
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Well I'm in the minority here but my votes goes to the treadmill. No one walks or runs with their knees not touching. It's actually been known to cause stress fractures. I found I had more joint issues on the elliptical, so treadmill is the way to go for me.
  • mcottle292
    Options
    have you used them before--sounds like it. Which do you prefer? The one you like the most is the one you will use more.

I have used them both and noticed I do prefer the treadmill only b/c i can incline walk ( in south florida there are no hills lol) or jog or run. but the elliptical seems more compact and more effective - i dread them though!

I was going to say elliptical...but based on you saying you "dread" them...I am gonna say treadmill. You don't wanna waste your money on something you may not use.
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    I'd get a kettlebell, and do my running outside. Wait... That's exactly what I do

LOL! love the pic too!
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Elliptical!
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have both and always go back to the treadmill since it seems to work more muslces overall. BUT like others have said you can always run outside if you want.

My problem with the elliptical is two part:
    First - I don't trust the calorie burn rates on the machines I never feel as exhausted after an elliptical workout as I do on the treadmill (plus i feel like i'm only working my giant thighs!)
    Second - the elliptical really limits my stride, i have long legs and the elliptical puts your legs in a set oval course of movement so if anythign make sure you really try out the elliptical first becasue they all have different heights and lengths of stride and one that is too short sucks.

theres my two cents.
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    Check this out!!!...it's a small elliptical stepper sold by Amazon. I have one and love it! It takes a little getting used to, but well worth it. Read all the reviews. Totally solves the space problem, and if you wanted, you could have the treadmill also.

Works for me!!

http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-55-1610-InMotion-Elliptical-Trainer/dp/B000VICRO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312922117&sr=1-1
  • tootsieanne
    tootsieanne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i dont own either but i go to the gym daily and id pick the treadmill. i NEVER go on the eliptical. the treadmill burns much more calories on an incline. i do like the arc trainer and precor at the gym but i think they are more costly than eliptical. good luck!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical! But I do want to get a treadmill to add to my "in home gym". :)
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need road....

Actually, if you ditch the treadmill, you can get outside and run and see the birds and stuff. Don't foget the tinfoil hat, though. They are watching us....

This. Elliptical is nice, but run outside, in my experience, people who run outside run longer, harder, and better.
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    Check this out!!!...it's a small elliptical stepper sold by Amazon. I have one and love it! It takes a little getting used to, but well worth it. Read all the reviews. Totally solves the space problem, and if you wanted, you could have the treadmill also.

Works for me!!

http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-55-1610-InMotion-Elliptical-Trainer/dp/B000VICRO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312922117&sr=1-1

this is a great solution! I can have both w this option. since i do dread the elliptical this is a low cost option for something i ay use only once in a while!! LOVE IT <33
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I did a google search recently on treadmill vs elliptical. One site said the treadmill actually burned more calories because of the running/incline options compared to the elliptical. Plus it said because of the low impact once you actually get the elliptical moving it requires less of your own force to keep it going compared to the treadmill thus the treadmill would burn more. I would suggest doing a similiar search to get some info. That said whatever you enjoy most is what you'll use so go with that. I've always hated the elliptical but recently have used it at the gym and it's grown on me especially since my knees are bad.
  • odessablondie
    odessablondie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees so elliptical is the only one I can use because it's much less impact. I love it though!!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I don't use either frquently because I am an outdoor type. I don't mind running in the rain or cold, but don't like the two together so I do a fair amount if indoor cardio in the winter. I far prefer the treadmill; I just hate ellipticals and feel totaly uncoordinated on them. On a treadmill I can zone out and the miles just fly by. So I burn far more calories on a treadmill simply because I like it more and will spend much more time on it. That said, I still prefer exercising outdoors to either and just do plyo or cardio dvd's when have to stay in.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    im a born runner.....GO TREADMILL!!!!
  • mdagenb
    mdagenb Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    An Elliptical is better on your knees however a treadmill is usually more accurately calibrated. It will tell you the true amount of calories burned as opposed to an elliptical. Just make sure when you walk/jog you aren't holding onto the handles