Need to use up zucchini....help me out!

Options

Replies

• amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to try this Faux Fried Zucchini.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/896
  • Julia6633
    Julia6633 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Love this..

Roasted Garlic Zucchini and Tomatoes

Ingredients
    2 zucchini cut in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch half moons 2 cups quartered ripe tomatoes 1/2 onion, minced 3 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 1/4 cup olive oil salt and pepper to taste 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

Directions
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
    Combine the zucchini, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes in the prepared baking dish. Drizzle with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and mix well.
    Place in preheated oven. Roast until vegetables are tender and slightly golden, about 18 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and basil.

Nutritional Information
    Roasted Garlic Zucchini and Tomatoes
    Servings Per Recipe: 4

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 204

Total Fat: 16.8g
    Cholesterol: 9mg
    Sodium: 262mg
    Total Carbs: 9.5g
    Dietary Fiber: 2.4g
    Protein: 5.9g
  • tweatherford11
    tweatherford11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just used some last night in my kabobs on the grill. Place rounds of zucchini with peices of onion, peppers and mushrooms on skewer and I brushed with some low sodium teryaki sauce. YUM!\

I will also sometimes saute with mushrooms and add to pasta.
  • swarcher
    swarcher Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Been eating a lot of stirfry lately with zucchini. I also like to make boats by cutting in half then scoop out the seeds. mix crumbled tofu, garlic, diced tomatoes, onion, and basil in a bowl and spoon into the shells bake at 350 for abt 20 min and top with soy mozzarella. Delicious vegan dish, and only about 120 calories for a whole half.
  • MDS0910
    MDS0910 Posts: 71
    Options
    The wonderful thing about zucchini is if you shred it, you can sneak it into almost anything and no one willl know. Which is the only way I can get my husband and son to eat it. So, add it to spaghetti sauce, or anything, and increase the nutrients and vitamins, without increasing the calories too much. Hope this helps. :-) Good luck.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    When I have a lot of zucchini, I like to grate it up. It can be added to spaghetti sauce, lasagna, meatloaf, etc. If you do smoothies, you can put some in there. Grated zucchini can also be frozen (just make sure to put it in an airtight container to avoid freezer burn) and cooked up in above recipes later (or in zucchini bread, if you get a craving for it in January, lol)
  • nd21daniel
    Options
    I make stuffed zucchini. Brown ground turkey (or other protein of your choice), I usually add onion and sometimes green pepper. Add marinara or other tomato based pasta sauce until the meat is well coated. Scoop out the insides of the zucchini (you can save these and use in bread or another meal). Stuff with meat mixure and top with mozzarella cheese. Bake in oven about 30-45 minutes or until the zucchini is as tender as you like it. You can search for the specific recipe that I altered to our liking at tasteofhome.com.

Hope this helps!
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Search for Zucchini Boats.. they are DELICIOUS!!!
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've been reading "Animal Vegetable Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. It's her memoir written from the years she and her family moved to a farm and ate only what they grew or traded with neighbors. One whole chapter is about zucchini!! There are recipes from the book on her website. I wish I had your problem. I love zucchini.

Here are some of them:

DISAPPEARING ZUCCHINI ORZO

¾ lb pkg orzo pasta (multicolored is fun)
    Bring 6 cups water or chicken stock to a boil and add pasta. Cook 8 to 12
    minutes

1 chopped onion, garlic to taste
    3 large zucchini
    olive oil for sauté
    Use a cheese grater or mandoline to shred zucchini, sauté briefly with chopped
    onion and garlic until lightly golden.

thyme
    oregano
    ¼ cup grated parmesan or any hard yellow cheese
    Add spices to zucchini mixture, stir thoroughly, and then remove mixture from
    heat.
    Combine with cheese and cooked orzo, salt to taste, serve cool or at room
    temperature.

ZUCCHINI CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
    (Makes about two dozen)

1 egg, beaten
    ½ cup butter, softened
    ½ cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup honey
    1 tbsp. vanilla extract
    Combine in large bowl.

1 cup white flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    ½ tsp baking soda
    ¼ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp cinnamon
    ¼ tsp nutmeg
    Combine in a separate, small bowl and blend into liquid mixture

1 cup finely shredded zucchini
    12 oz chocolate chips
    Stir these into other ingredients, mix well. Drop by spoonful onto greased baking
    sheet, and flatten with the back of a spoon. Bake at 350°, 10 to 15 minutes.
  • tlbradshaw1
    tlbradshaw1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make zu-canoes.
    2 medium 2-inch-wide zucchini
    1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon minced shallot
    1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
    1/2 cup diced mozzarella cheese, preferably fresh
    1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil

1.Trim both ends off zucchini; cut in half lengthwise. Cut a thin slice off the backs so each half sits flat. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch shell. Finely chop the pulp; set aside.
    2.Place the zucchini halves in a microwave-safe dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and microwave on High until tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. (Alternatively, steam in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a large skillet or pot.)
    3.Whisk oil, vinegar, shallot and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add tomatoes, cheese, basil and the reserved zucchini pulp; toss to combine. Divide the filling among the zu-canoes.
  • angelamros
    angelamros Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can slice it with a jouline slicer and mix in to replace pasta. it will come out a little crunchy if you use the green outside (not skin) layer. Saute it with your sauce or meat and its good. I prefer it to pasta, but husband prefers pasta, so its your preference.
    I love it in Chicken Marinara or Chicken with Chunky Veggie marainara.
  • ellykay555
    Options
    2 Favs:

Grate zucchini into turkey burgers and season and cook as you normally would. This adds moisture to dry turkey and sneaks in some veggies.

Dice a medium zucchini and saute with minced garlic and onion for a few minutes. Add a small bag of frozen corn or 2 cans of corn and cook until the liquid is evaporated. Add 1 teaspoon of butter to finish. Serves about 6.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Chop it up, add some whole kernel corn, a lot of pepper and a pinch of seasoning salt. Wrap it up in tinfoil and throw it on the grill for 30 minutes. Spicy!
  • Texalese
    Texalese Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I recently made this lowfat chocolate chip zucchini bread and it's great.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/07/low-fat-chocolate-chip-zucchini-bread.html
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I just baked about 10 of them, sliced into chunks, in olive oil, then when they are done add pesto and passata, and bake some more.

They are good grated into pancake mix and fried as fritters with chill jam.
  • Texalese
    Texalese Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I recently made this lowfat chocolate chip zucchini bread and it's great.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/07/low-fat-chocolate-chip-zucchini-bread.html
  • stefnicole
    stefnicole Posts: 106
    Options
    saving these!
  • dkb228
    dkb228 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Brown lean pork chops in a saucepan (I usually use a little canola oil). Cover in diced tomatoes (canned or fresh), chopped onions, sliced zucchini, and any other veggies you like (I usually add green pepper and yellow squash). Add favorite seasonings and herbs (I recommend the usual S&P, and LOTS of fresh rosemary). Simmer for 45-60 minutes. Total calories comes out to 200-250 calories depending on how many vegetables you use. I usually serve it over spatzle or egg noodles. Yummm. :smile:

ETA... I also really love to grill zucchini. Instead of fries or another starchy side, I usually grill zucchini, yellow squash, and onions when I'm grilling. I season the veggies with S&P, rosemary, or sometimes I use whatever seasoning mix I'm putting on my meat. I serve it with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Slice it raw and dip in fat free ranch dressing as a snack.
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bump. I wanna try a bunch of these yummy recipes