Keto Beginner

Options
Hi,.I'm Jesse. I've been looking into the Keto diet, as I am constantly craving sugar/carbs, and would like to use this as a reset.
I am a pastry chef, and a banquet captain so sometimes we have to eat when we can, or whatever might be around. I always try to make sure I have fruit/yogurt/nuts in my bag, but I do forget, and end up eating very badly. I think that maybe by doing Keto, it might be of some assistance. It will be harder for me, as I don't eat meat, and so there will be a ton of stuff, I will have to cut out. As I've been keeping a diary of what I've eaten, I can see, there are far to many carbs.
How hard is Keto to plan for? Is it a good choice for a person who'd rather eat tempeh, than a burger? Just curious. Thank you in advance for reading

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    I have done keto in the past, but I also eat meat. Don't know how to do the diet with without it.

You could post your question in one of the forums in the group listed below. Should be someone there who can help you formulate an eating plan.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • clip1957
    clip1957 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Look for vegetarian recipes on ruled.me.
    Do you eat eggs and cheese?
  • Richbelle1
    Richbelle1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So Keto is not a diet looking for someone who wants to make a lifestyle change. Which seems like something you want to do. Keto has a lot of subtle downsides that people don't realise.
    Almost everything has carbs in it. And the moment you eat a little if it, your body goes out of ketosis. Which can be extremely harmful given that you're eating so much fat . Not only would you end up gaining weight, it's also risky for the heart.
    Additionally proteins can work like carbs if the body gets too much of it. But the protein thing shouldn't be a problem for you given that you don't eat meat.
    However, vegetarian keto means a SEVERE lack of nutrients and therefore more cravings. Further the chance you will want to quit is higher given that you will RARELY find the food you can actually eat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You don't really reset anything, most people like sweet foods, and it's easy to eat when it's available. To avoid eating too much, we need to set some boundaries. Some boundaries are smarter and more effective than others.

If you want to eat fruit/yogurt/nuts, you make sure you put it in your bag.

If you call the food you enjoy the most, bad, you just end up craving it more, and by eating too much of it, you get the feeling you can't control yourself, and the idea that the food is indeed bad, is confirmed. Cutting out foods at random is not the solution, because the food isn't the problem.

Doing a 180 degree turn, is usually only necessary if what you're doing, is totally off. Picking a diet that is the opposite of your preferred diet, is a recipe for disaster.
  • 37lbs_to_go
    37lbs_to_go Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ironmadien wrote: »
    I am a pastry chef, and a banquet captain

That's like my best dream and worst nightmare rolled into one.

As to your actual question look into Whole 30. It would work much better for a vegetarian and also offers a sugar/carb "reset".

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Keto isn't atkins, and it's very easy to do without eating meat. Avocadoes, nuts (pecans and macadamia nuts are great for keto). Coffee/tea with heavy whipping cream, cheese sticks, eggs...lots of options.

Your biggest hurdle is going to be snacking and being around carbs all day. As a user above put it, all it takes is a few bites from one pastry and you're knocked out of ketosis and all those cravings and hunger will just come rushing back.

Here are my favorite low carb breads:
    http://schmidtbaking.com/products/647-2/
    and
    https://www.josephsbakery.com/shop/mini-flax-oat-bran-whole-wheat-pita-bread.html

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The Low Carber Daily MFP group that was linked above has a section in its stickies with types of low carb. There are many links to sources on vegetarian and vegan low carb and keto that could be helpful to use.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

There is also a keto group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    Richbelle1 wrote: »
    So Keto is not a diet looking for someone who wants to make a lifestyle change. Which seems like something you want to do. Keto has a lot of subtle downsides that people don't realise.
    Almost everything has carbs in it. And the moment you eat a little if it, your body goes out of ketosis. Which can be extremely harmful given that you're eating so much fat . Not only would you end up gaining weight, it's also risky for the heart.
    Additionally proteins can work like carbs if the body gets too much of it. But the protein thing shouldn't be a problem for you given that you don't eat meat.
    However, vegetarian keto means a SEVERE lack of nutrients and therefore more cravings. Further the chance you will want to quit is higher given that you will RARELY find the food you can actually eat.

The bolded is not true. Vegetarians can meet their nutrient needs without a huge effort. Meat is a good source of nutrition but plant matter has lots too.

And eating carbs while mostly ketogenic is fine! There is no harm in it unless you have some sort of insulin resistance and eat a LOT of carbs, and in that case it is the carbs that is the problem and not ketosis. In fact, ketosis results in a metabolic flexibility that the average person does not have if carbs/glucose is their primary fuel.

... and the myth that fat is bad for the heart is just that. A myth. Only a very small minority with familial hypercholesterolemia need to worry about fat intake. The other 99+% of the population can eat high levels of fat if it suits them.