Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent fasting- just an acceptable way of starving yourself?

Options

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I like the MYOB diet the best

HaHaHa :D
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I just seen an article about IF in a magazine yesterday and the IF was 5:2. I noticed on the 2 days the calorie allowance was only 500 calories. Is that healthy? Also for anyone who has been on the IF plan, have you lost weight faster than if you ate your normal calories 7 days a week? I was wondering since I've been told that losing more than 1 - 1.5 pounds a week is aggressive and the article said most people lose 3-5 pound a week.

It's a 22% deficit overall - actually more reasonable than I'd suggest majority on MFP start at - attempting as fast as possible, getting closer to 50% in many examples I've seen.

People truly fast for a couple days with no issues, no food at all, just water. 500 would be like easy compared to that.

It is actually healthy - did you read the research results?
    Or was it a weight loss only article not touching on anything else.

If article said 3-5 lb a week - they probably meant the first week - just like many do starting any diet of eating less.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    And like anything else that starts out as potentially useful - things are jumped on as a fad and extremes are pushed...

You mean like this?:

i35b6dc69omc.jpg

The last line now has me singing taylor swift...
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    What on earth is a 'Vanity Pound?'
  • Anrok
    Anrok Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been IF for a few weeks now at 14:10 and I still eat breakfast (10am) lunch (12:30) and dinner (6-7pm) with a snack between lunch and dinner. I went for the option that let me keep all my meals
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I was accidentally IF at 240lbs the same way I do at 155 now; just a way to respect my personal preference of larger more calorie dense meals and not eating when I'm not hungry. Never been a breakfast person.
This discussion has been closed.