Anyone Else "Overweight" on the BMI Chart but Healthy, Active, Happy and not Really "Overweight"

Replies

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Overweight doesn't mean unhealthy anymore than underweight. And you can be "too fat" even if you are within a haelthy BMI.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Depends on your bf% IMO. I'm 5'6" and at 163 I don't think anyone would describe me as overweight; but I"m at the top of the healthy range now (154) and I don't look a whole lot different. Maybe my arms are leaner.
    My "after" pic is 163lbs and while I do have fat to lose, I don't think I would consider myself overweight.

You look great! Based on your traps, it looks like you might have been doing some resistance training? That could throw off the BMI link a little bit.

That said, the first 'overweight' BMI number might as well fall into the 'normal' category. It so close that you could fluctuate between normal and overweight simply by drinking water!
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

For example, you wouldn't take the average height of men in the U.S., come up with a range of say +/- one standard deviation, and then go around telling people that they're too tall or too short if they fell outside of that range.

To be fair, a quick google says that the average US height is 5'10" with a SD of 4 inches. I think we can all acknowledge that while nobody would outright call somebody short to their face for no reason in normal society, we all know what we really think when we see a guy shorter than 5'6". Heck, even the guys who are 5'6" or shorter are usually pretty open about their stature.

My point was that outside of that purely rhetorical 1 SD interval, is someone outside of it too short? Too tall?

The context matters (I know I keep harping on that - but only because it's true).

Context A: Individual seeks to be a jockey
    Context B: Individual seeks to play center for L.A. Lakers

Now we can make some determinations and set some standards.

BMI is like me telling you that I'm driving 45MPH. Am I being 'Unsafe'? Should I speed up or slow down in order to be 'Safe'?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Mulling this over made me curious about something, and I'm not sure how to google it. Does anyone know if there has been a risk vs bmi study done on a population sample consisting of individuals with an overweight bmi but healthy body fat percentage? It would be interesting to see what that graph looks like compared to the general population.