can't get up in the morning to exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    One thing that I've done is to put a light on a timer so it comes on and shines in my eyes like the sun. But make sure you are getting enough sleep :) Sleep deprivation leads to depression and bad eating.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I have an idea. Start getting out of bed at your goal time regardless. If you exercise or not. Maybe just start exercising 3x a week at first, and the other two mornings just have your coffee and relax (or shower, whatever). Build the habit FIRST, and then when your internal alarm is built, you can start kicking yourself in the butt.

Hey, I'm going to try this..... ! :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I don't want to do anything for at least an hour after waking. I don't want to look at food, or do anything strenuous. I wish there was a 24 hour gym near me...im always at my peak energy wise around 10pm, but that is due to my life circumstance. Bed at 04:30, up at 12 noon.

Remember, the earlier you set your alarm, the longer you can oversleep! :D And as we all know, beds are at their most comfortable when you have to get out of them...
  • xx0verthestarsxx
    Options
    I agree on the bed earlier. My boyfriend has to get up for his classes every morning at 5 and he has me in bed with him around 9pm every night. Once you get into the habit of it you should be okay, but make sure you're getting enough sleep! Either that or just work out at a different time. I'm not a morning person AT ALL, so I usually go to the gym after dinner around 7:30pm.
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I make it at 5:30-5:45 at least 3 days a week, but it is so hard. I have 5 alarms set on my phone and one physical alarm clock. I would love to get to be earlier, but most nights it is after 11. I am a single dad and we don't get home until around 7:15 every night, so going to be at 9 is out of the question. For me though early morning is the only time I KNOW I can go without distractions. That is what motivates me.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have to go to bed earlier for sure.... Like 2 hours earlier. Some nights, like last night I passed out around 9pm. Getting up at 5am is tough to get used to and definitely don't forgo your sleep. Some people are more morning people than others. I struggle to get up but once I'm up I'm up for good and just fine. It also helps that the dogs sleep in our bedroom and they are like alarm clocks! I used to get up at 6am, well they would start moving around, yawning, stretching, getting playful at 6am, forcing me out of bed to let them outside. I used to think they did this because the sun was coming up at that time. Now that I get up at 5am it only took them a couple of days to adjust. Now they are disturbing me on the dot at 5am or a bit sooner, even though its pitch black outside. So I pretty much have to get up even if I try to convince myself to take a rest day from morning workout.

It doesn't matter the time of day you work out, work out when its most logical, convenient, enjoyable for you. Do what feels best in regards to time of day.
  • lexi2526
    lexi2526 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    These are all good ideas! Maybe tween putting the alarm across the room (the one that walks around seems funny too), combined with the light alarm (never knew one existed). Plus the getting up regardless of work out "so its a habit". Next week its going to happen people! :)
  • wlddove
    wlddove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am not nor have I ever been a morning person. I try over and over to wake that early and what happens to me is a couple times in a row I get up, feel great. Then bam for a week I cant get up and actually get up later than even a regular morning! I dont know what to do about it but if anyone finds a cure let me know! :)

Oh my gosh!! That's me! Er, I am you! Wait...nevermind... But I do that same thing!! Ugh...
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    For years I got up at 4 am to be at the gym by 5:15, workout until 6:30, shower & be at work by 7, usually 5 days a week. I would be in bed by 8-ish, which is OK by me, I'm usually a morning person.

Then this year with the last daylight savings change (spring ahead an hour) I just could not bring myself to get up at what my body thought was 3 am. Ugh! So I changed my routine and now sleep until 5, at work by 7 and take an early lunch to be at the gym by 11, before it gets too busy. Fortunately my workplace is very flexible and I'm only a 5 minute walk from the gym. I work an extra 30 minutes a day so I can take a longer lunch break (90 minutes instead of 60).

Funny how an extra hour of sleep in the morning makes a difference! I still go to bed early, usually by 9. If I was up any later I'd probably just watch TV and eat something out of boredom!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Best suggestion - Find a friend that will meet you there in the AMS. That's what gets me up at 515 to work out, 1 I have a personal trainer that meets me twice a week at the ungodly hour, the other three mornings I Have my best friend meet me. Sometimes she doesn't show up, but knowing sh'es waiting for me, I get up

I wash my face, brush my teeth and by the time I'm done brushing my teeth I'm awake :)
  • amberl29
    amberl29 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'll call you if you want, but then I'm going back to bed :) luv u
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I get up every morning before work @ about 4:15 AM - 4:30 at the latest and do 30 mintues on my elliptical machine downstairs. I found that if I put it off until after work I am too tired and will find any excuse not to do it. It's not fun, and some mornings I really hate it, but it has become a habit and just part of my routine now.

I do find that when I stay up later it's harder in the morning to roll out of bed. And the lack of sleep will eventually catch up to me. I do better if I can get in bed by 9 at night.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Why or why can't i get up in the mornings??? I have the best of intentions to get up around 5:15/5:30ish yet I just can't seem to make it happen more than two to three times a week? I set multiple alarms and manage to snooze right through them??? I get so mad when I wake up and realize what I've done!!! Any suggestions???

Maybe you could start by getting up early two or three times a week. Add days later as you become more accustom to it.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    practice going to bed earlier ^.^ I have gone to bed past midnight (typically at 3am) most of my life, and finally got tired of what it has done to my life...so...i decided to become an early bird and in order to wake up earlier (7-9 right now), I go to bed at 10...it may take a long time (like 2 hours sometimes) to fall asleep, but eventually your body will get used to it. ^.^
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I can't get up that early and workout. Lol. I have to have a cup of coffee before I workout or do anything for that matter.
    I think the important thing is to workout and be consistant no matter what time it is.
    It has to work for you if it is going to be part of you new healthy lifestyle.
  • RoseBlanc
    RoseBlanc Posts: 140
    Options
    Why or why can't i get up in the mornings??? I have the best of intentions to get up around 5:15/5:30ish yet I just can't seem to make it happen more than two to three times a week? I set multiple alarms and manage to snooze right through them??? I get so mad when I wake up and realize what I've done!!! Any suggestions???

Same here. I'm NOT a morning person. However, I love working out in the evenings right before dinner.:] Just my personal preference.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I was surprised that I woke up this morning at 5am and even stayed in bed till 515am not falling back to sleep (that's usually what happens). I gave myself a good work out last night so I think I slept heavier then normal and wokeup refreshed. Just keep trying.