Protein powders: are they worth it?

Options
Having been weight training for a number of years, I've tended to use protein powders post work. But recently I've come to the conclusion that they're quite expensive so I make a shake from milk, porridge oats, a banana and a spoon of Whole Earth peanut butter. A lot cheaper but still containing a good amount of protein.
What's other folks thoughts?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I want a boost of protein, I find protein powder easier to mix into cold brew coffee than oats and peanut butter. Since I prefer it in coffee, it's worth it for me. I also use it in baking. But then, I'm not having it daily so a container lasts for a while when I buy it.

I don't think it's worth it to buy it if it's not a way that someone wants to get protein. If they enjoy other sources more or if spending the money on other things seems like a better value to them, I can completely understand that decision.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have a tub at home. I only dig into it if I'm not hitting my protein numbers for the week, but I kinda like the taste of it now so it's not a hardship to me. Just that I'd rather eat my protein than drink it. Fills me up more if I eat it.
  • foreversnafu
    foreversnafu Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Depends. At 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, my wife at 130lbs can hit hit her protein macro relatively easily with me around, whereas I, at 215lbs, don't mind a scoop in my oats and a couple of hard boiled eggs for lunch to hit my mark.

But honestly it just comes down to variety, because you can easily trade a scoop for say, a can of tuna. To each his own, IIFYM.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Having been weight training for a number of years, I've tended to use protein powders post work. But recently I've come to the conclusion that they're quite expensive so I make a shake from milk, porridge oats, a banana and a spoon of Whole Earth peanut butter. A lot cheaper but still containing a good amount of protein.

That shake sounds a lot higher in carbs and fats than protein (and significantly higher in calories too). The only good protein source out of all those you listed is the milk. Oats and bananas are high in carbs and peanut butter is high in fat. Nothing wrong with that if it fits your macros, but if I was looking for bang for the buck in terms of protein, I'd go with the protein shake instead.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I prefer the protein powder because it makes it easier for me to hit my target. Otherwise I come up very short.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    They are worth it to me as an economical and protein dense supplement to my food when needed that just tastes like a pleasant milkshake.
    But I wouldn't include post workout as being needed as all - I just try to have enough protein in my normal diet.
    When I do have them it's a zero sugar protein powder mixed in skimmed milk, low calories but high protein.
    I prefer to conserve my calories for my regular food.

e7ghwbe4a9jt.png

Your recipe seems like it's low in protein for the high amount of calories it must contain.

(Greetings from just a few miles down the A3 from you by the way!)
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    To me they are. I make yummy, filling, nutrient-dense protein smoothies (not just protein powder and water/milk).

I also add protein powder to food (homemade protein bars, steel-cut oatmeal, Belgian waffles, muffins etc.)

As someone who doesn't eat meat, it's a great way to sneak in some extra protein and helps me to reach my protein goals everyday.

As far as cost I get mine only on sale and I stock up on a variety of flavours and different types (pea, hemp, whey) twice a year.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Siggi's Icelandic yogurt probably has more protein per calorie than protein powder.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Siggi's Icelandic yogurt probably has more protein per calorie than protein powder.

Good alternative and it's probably lower in calories compared to some sugar sweetened protein powders.
    Yoghurt, protein powder and a whole heap of granola is one of my favourite breakfasts before a long ride.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Siggi's plain 0% is 90 cal, 16 g of protein, and the whey protein powder I used to use had about 20 g for 100 cal, so not too different -- 5.625 cal per gram vs. 5.

When I used to make smoothies with whey protein I'd normally use Fage greek yogurt too. Fage 0% is 100 cal for 18 grams of protein, so slightly (although insignificantly) more than Siggi's, slightly less than protein powder (IME). I'd normally use 2%, though, since a bit of fat was something I wanted to add.

Vegan protein powders tend to have less protein per calories and are probably lower than a good non fat greek yogurt or skyr, but of course someone using vegan protein powder likely wouldn't see yogurt or skyr as a workable alternative.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

What results do you expect from protein powders?

It is just like eating food.

They are marketed as having magic powers to build muscles which is nonsense.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time hitting my protein goals sometimes so keep a tub on hand.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Protein powder are nothing special, they are just convenient and in our country, it's the cheapest source of protein. I mean, I go to the gym at 4am, I don't have time for breakfast, so a shake protein powder is perfect for the on the go protein source.
  • elsayegh25
    elsayegh25 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    used to buy them alot and can't deny they are helpful especially when I didn't have time to eat, now I only use casein before I sleep
    depends on. u and ur protein needs if u can get it from food or not
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I used to believe that you had the "Magic" 30 minute window after lifting to get protein into muscle. After learning that window is several hours I now eat a whole foods meal with at least 30gm of protein. The only time I use the powder much anymore is for travel and baking.
  • AnvilHead
    edited March 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't enjoy them. I have no problem hitting the 1g per lb of estimated LBM with regular food, even as an ovo-lacto vegetarian. Since I enjoy the regular food more, I don't use protein powder.
    Some of them definitely don't qualify as "enjoyable". :) I'm currently using Quest's Cinnamon Crunch flavor, and it tastes just like the milk left behind in the bowl after eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal - even has the little crunchy things in it. It's actually as much a treat as it is a supplement. It's also a whey/casein/MPI blend, so it's thicker than the usual whey shakes too - more like an actual shake than just flavored milk.

I still remember the protein powders from the '70s and '80s - tasted like somebody scraped all the chalk dust off the rail below the blackboard and put it in a tub. It didn't matter what flavoring they put in it, the best you could do was gag it down as fast as possible.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I like protein shakes as a snack and they're less expensive than Halo Top so...I save money with protein powder.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I like protein shakes as a snack and they're less expensive than Halo Top so...I save money with protein powder.

Chocolate Almond Crunch Halo Top is pretty tasty, though....
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Chocolate Almond Crunch Halo Top is pretty tasty, though....

That's my least favorite one. Like I really love Halo Top and think that one tastes straight up bad.