Who eats more beans & lentils than meat?

Options
Ive been noticing a HUGE different in my body, attitude & well-being from changing up my diet. I still consume meat, but mostly chicken never red meat. Eating more plant base is amazing. Check out the protein difference with beans/lentils to meat. You’ll start feeling fresh

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I'd notice a huge difference in my attitude if I cut red meat out of my diet too.

But not for the better.

CAN I GET A WITNESS!! :D
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I like beans/lentils. Much cheaper then meat. I am not strictly plant based but have been trying to move in that direction.

I will be interested to see my cholesterol at my next lab draw.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Who eats more beans & lentils than meat?
    Well, presumably vegetarians and vegans would - or at least I would hope for their sake, but I personally quite enjoy most meat and fish. I also like beans and lentils - even meat and lentils/beans in the same meal!

But really, I can assure you that vegan and vegetarian diets have been around for centuries longer than any of us have. This isn't some sort of even kind of new discovery.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with cutting out meat, but not for health.
    There are some medical reasons why one would cut out meat (as opposed to eating some meat but not as much), but I suspect none of them have to do with weight loss. Similar to how some people are on very strict ketogenic diets for medical reasons that are completely unrelated to weight loss (generally epilepsy).
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating lentil stew with stewing beef. It was/is delicious.

4 cups broth - doesn't matter ... chicken, beef or veggie
    1 lb stewing beef cut in to bite size pieces
    1 onion, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    2 stalks celery chopped
    1 or 2 T of olive oil
    1 14oz can tomatoes
    1 cup brown or green lentils
    salt & pepper to taste
    My mom always added a couple of Tbsp of sweet pickle juice to it and that's how I make mine.

I brown the beef and add the onion, carrots and celery and cook those down and then add the rest of the ingredients and cook for about an hour or an hour and a half.
    It's better (and thicker) the next day.

I eat a lot of vegetables, fruit AND meat, chicken and fish. I feel "fresh" when my portions sizes are reasonable and not gluttonous like they used to be. I eat red meat about once or twice a week.
    I don't eat a lot of legumes anymore because they give me gas but I do like them.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Birder165 wrote: »
    I grew up eating lentil stew with stewing beef. It was/is delicious.

4 cups broth - doesn't matter ... chicken, beef or veggie
    1 lb stewing beef cut in to bite size pieces
    1 onion, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    2 stalks celery chopped
    1 or 2 T of olive oil
    1 14oz can tomatoes
    1 cup brown or green lentils
    salt & pepper to taste
    My mom always added a couple of Tbsp of sweet pickle juice to it and that's how I make mine.

I brown the beef and add the onion, carrots and celery and cook those down and then add the rest of the ingredients and cook for about an hour or an hour and a half.
    It's better (and thicker) the next day.

I eat a lot of vegetables, fruit AND meat, chicken and fish. I feel "fresh" when my portions sizes are reasonable and not gluttonous like they used to be. I eat red meat about once or twice a week.
    I don't eat a lot of legumes anymore because they give me gas but I do like them.

I need to save this recipe...sounds absolutely delicious! Definitely a great late autumn/winter meal
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I haven't had meat for ten years, but I don't notice any particular increase in "freshness" nor did I feel "unfresh" before.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    All of a sudden this thread is sounding like an embarrassing commercial! I didn't pick up on the use of the word fresh before, heh.

;-)
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    This is my husband,too. He's a carnivore. When we have a meatless meal you'd think 'In the arms of an angel' was playing in the background as he eats because he's so sad. He's practically a meme.

Posts like your make me miss the 'awesome' button.

• Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Are we talking volumetrically or numerically? While I ate "a" steak I had a side of beans which was like 150 of the little guys (I didn't count but there was a lot of them). I do eat veggies with every meal but containing to "beans and lintels" I would say I eat more weight in meat (of all animals, I do not discriminate).

Do I notice a difference between the two? Nope. Do I notice if I don't hit my protein macro? Yes. Can I hit it with plants or animal meat? Sure. Am I now upset that I missed out on feeling "fresh" somewhere along the line when I ate my veggies? Yes.