Protein Powder and Coffee?

Options
NicoloEats93
NicoloEats93 Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Has anyone tried blending coffee into protein powder???

I use optimum nutrition extreme milk chocolate protein powder so I was going to make a mocha protein frap.

I don’t feel like spending anymore money at Starbucks!

Replies

• roroinco
    roroinco Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes! I make Herbalife shakes (I know everybody hates Herbalife.....I'm not promoting, just letting you know what I do). I just add Starbucks Via Instant Coffee into my vanilla or chocolate powder. They are delicious and come in individual packets which are handy. I haven't found a good substitute for the Starbucks. I highly recommend them for shakes/drinks.
  • tiefighther66
    tiefighther66 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I put coffee in my shakes for breakfast. I use isopure vanilla and I'll blend it with coffee and cold almond milk, ice, cocoa, and stevia. It's like a healthier, not-so-sweet frappe. :p
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I use click mocha flavored protein powder. It is actually pretty good. I have also tried pure protein chocolate with coffee, skim milk, and ice.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy adding protein powder to my coffee. Usually I'll mix the powder with about half the water I normally use so it's pretty thick and then add that to my hot coffee for a quick and easy option at my desk.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Whey will clump in hot liquids... You can use alternatives for hot drinks (I use a flavoured collagen based powder), or make iced coffee/mocha. I've been having one most mornings - coffee, water/milk, protein powder, coconut butter, ice, all blended. Yum!
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    MTS expresso macchiatto mixes really well with coffee. Flavors compliment each other.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Protein tends to be cold soluble as protein denatures at higher temps and entropic effects make it clump, so although I haven't tried it I'm picturing a lot of floaty clumps rather than a nice smooth mixture. Iced coffee might work better.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have it most days with a but of whipping cream. I use a whisk or a travel mug I can shake. I don't use a full serving, just a partial scoop.

And it is gross if your coffee is too hot. Yuck.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I blend a little water or milk in protein powder, then blend in hot coffee to make a latte-ish joy drink. In the summer, I'll blend cold brew with protein and ice. It also works well with instant coffee. I use PEScience.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I've never tried this but I might have to. It sounds intriguing.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    i've done it in a blender with chocolate protein powder and coffee. It came out fine and was very mocha like.
  • xxerniexx
    xxerniexx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Dymatize Elite Chocolate and coffee is amazing! so is the Dymatize snikerdoodle with coffee!!! sooo good!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yeah I haven't done it in awhile but I like it when I'm cutting hard.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I drink an iced protein coffee every morning. 6 oz. Almond cashew milk, 25 grams vanilla powder, 15 grams chocolate powder, a little Splenda. Blend, top offf with ice coffee in 26 oz travel cup. On Sundays I mix the same concoction and add it to hot coffee with no problems.

• MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim Stoppanie has a protein flavour called Caramel Macchiato, that's wickedly tasty! Haven't tried adding it to anything because i am just in love with its taste. <3 The only addition to it is unsweetend almond milk. So tasty!
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Yes! I sometimes include coffee in my recovery shakes. So good :)
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    put some ice cubes in the jar before you dump in the coffee and blend it. Those whey clumps have the nastiest texture.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    This is a common quick breakfast or afternoon snack for me. In a blender bottle:

1 c coffee (w/ ice if it’s still warm)
    1 c whole milk
    1 scoop Vega protein & greens
    1 tbsp Benefiber
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Hot coffee with protein powder is despicable. Make your coffee the night before and chill it, then blend in powder, ice, almond milk or whatever you like.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Hot coffee with protein powder is despicable. Make your coffee the night before and chill it, then blend in powder, ice, almond milk or whatever you like.

Cold coffee at 6 am when it's 30 degrees and below is despicable.