Protein Powder and Coffee?

Options
2»

Replies

• melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Hot coffee with protein powder is despicable. Make your coffee the night before and chill it, then blend in powder, ice, almond milk or whatever you like.

Why is it despicable? I usually drink it cold but I drink it hot too. Always hot on Sundays. I blend the milk and protein and then mix it with hot coffee. It's fine. Tastes the same, just hot. I don't understand this.
  • Kristianleeming90
    Kristianleeming90 Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I heard the only issue with blending protein powder with a hot drink is that it forces the bonds to tighten within the protein making the body work a little harder and a little longer to break down... I don't know this for fact but surely if its true, not necessarily a bad thing... I blend protein with hot coffee
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I heard the only issue with blending protein powder with a hot drink is that it forces the bonds to tighten within the protein making the body work a little harder and a little longer to break down... I don't know this for fact but surely if its true, not necessarily a bad thing... I blend protein with hot coffee

Not quite true. Whey protein in a hot drink would denature. Unraveling the folded structure exposing hydrophobic elements in a way that a cage of water would form around them and drive the proteins together into larger and larger clumps of aggregate that would precipitate out of solution. This would mean it would be basically impossible to solubilize the protein in a hot drink, you'd just end up with clumps and if you blended it you'd just end up with smaller clumps that would grow over time to larger clumps.

That said the "bonds" aren't any stronger and I don't see why you'd have any issue digesting it really. When it your stomach its going to be in a pH 2 environment with enzymes specifically designed to break apart proteins so its going to get ripped apart pretty quick. Maybe because it is clumped it will shield the inner part of the clump until the outer part gets dissolved but I don't think that is going to make a real difference in your ability to eventually process it and get the same amount out.

I'd just avoid it because whey clumps taste like clay.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    My kids asked me why I don't do this in the spring and summer when I make a Starbucks knock off thingy.

Before I train on Sundays, I drink a protein shake. After I come home and Brunch, I make a cold coffee thingy with frozen yogurt and licquor. I guess I could add more protein powder ... I feel like once is enough though. Of course I'm eating yogurt twice a day ....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Not ruining a good cup of coffee with whey...

The stuff I drink is too good and too expensive to be messing around putting whey in it.
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I mix my milk & Click Mocha in a shaker, then pour in the hot coffee. Drink a little, then add more hot coffee. I found it got lumpy if I mixed it directly into the hot coffee.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    You have to temper it, but it works beautifully.