Back in my day........

Options

Replies

• UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Back in the good old days of VCR’s and trying to rewind the tapes.
  • linddd
    linddd Posts: 6,591 Member
    Options
    Back in my day... the gas station attendant pumped my gas, cleaned my windshield, and checked my oil.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Back in my day, crayons were used to rewind cassettes.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Back in my day we actually had to walk into a bank and fill out withdrawal and deposit slips.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Back in the day we had to change the channel ourselves on the tv then turn the rotary antenna to try to tune in the channel. On a good day we could get stations from all over. On overcast days not so much

The tv stations would go off at 10 or a bit later and would play the national anthem then put up the test pattern
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Back in my day, there were only 3 Television stations.

And back in our days we had to get up off our butts and walk across the room to change the channel. And wrap the rabbit ear antennae with aluminum foil to cut down on the blizzard of snow (and sometimes make our little brothers stand next to the TV to hold the ears in the right position). And if we stayed up long enough, we got the National Anthem when the stations closed up shop for the night. And saw that white dot linger in the center of the screen after we turned off the TV.
  • huntersvonnegut
    Options
    Back in my day, we had to walk 15 miles to school. Up hill. Each way. In the snow. Fighting off bears.
  • huntersvonnegut
    Options
    Back in my day, this was the Internet.
    7m0oz1gzckyj.jpg
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Back in my day cell phones were still newish enough to either still be kind of big and then it all went to the flip phones. Growing up I did use a rotary phone (though it was nearly antiquated before that).
    Also, kids didn’t get a cell phone until they were like in their teens (15-16 usually), now all I see are 8 year olds with better phones than me, like wth?!
    TV had manual dials and bunny ears. VHS movie cassettes were a thing.
  • linddd
    Options
    Back in my day... the assistant principal paddled kids who broke the rules in high school.
  • mabelgrex
    mabelgrex Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »
    My siblings and I could ride in the back of the pickup truck going 70 mph down the highway. It was freaking awesome, and none of us died.
    Now kids have to sit strapped in car seats until high school.

bwah hah
  • mabelgrex
    mabelgrex Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    linddd wrote: »
    Back in my day... the gas station attendant pumped my gas, cleaned my windshield, and checked my oil.

in New Jersey they still do :)
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    back in my day you couldn't tell a guy from girl when they had there back to you.. long hair
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Mullets were considered cool haircuts
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    BIMD:

The Beatles first appearance on the ED Sullivan Show.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_zdibvoT7eMtDcdyOPrLlV41qKzZFrKVHj5iHmATV4VhXST-m
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    BIMD:
    Traffic stopped for pedestrians:

paris-1960-crosswalk-1.jpg?w=610&h=457

• Ron_in_NC
    Ron_in_NC Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    BIMD:
    As kids, we played "outside", playing marbles, kick the can, sliding down metal slides that burned your bare skin on a hot day, riding banana seat bikes, climbing trees, etc., instead of sitting in front of a computer socializing. When your Mom called your name at dark, it was time to come in!
  • orekosi3485
    orekosi3485 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It was rare for anyone to have a computer outside of school.
    Very little people had a cellphone.
    There was no such thing as social media. People actually spoke to one another.
  • linddd
    Options
    No one except super rich people had a Jacuzzi tub
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    Channel surfing was actually exercise 'cause you had to get up and walk over to the TV to change the channel... Of course there was no cable yet either so unless you lived in a major city you could probably only pick up 5 stations anyway and 2 of those were UHF that you had to fiddle the dial to tune in clearly.