Citrulline malate

Options
So I just bought recently my first bag of citrulline malate which I mix it with caffeine, creatine and beta alanine for my pre workout. Now my question is about off days, I know creatine and beta alanine should also be taken on off days, but is citrulline malate necessary to be taken on off days too? I get conflicting information about it and most of the information comes from websites that sell supplements, so I don't take their information too seriously.

Replies

• Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Citruline malate will give you a pump during a
    working out. Same as beta alanine. Take these two before workout. You don't need to take these two daily.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Rose18l wrote: »
    working out. Same as beta alanine. Take these two before workout. You don't need to take these two daily.

For beta alanine, they say it saturates in the muscles like creatine which is why they recommend it for off days.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    same exact setup from bulk supplements and I skip the CM and Caffeine on off days unless I have a hockey game or do some cardio then they are back In.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    1 week on, more intense lifting. 1 week off, less intensive lifting. Mainly as a vasodilator/help improve soreness with improved circulation. Would not say this supplement is any where near as beneficial as a Creatine mono hydrate or Hcl (especially from an economic perspective).

https://examine.com/supplements/citrulline/

Seems to be better suited pre workout for anaerobic activity/lifting (best save some money)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    From a wokrout perspective, its definitely beneficial as a preworkout, but it can be beneficial daily for cardiovascular health. Interestingly, my wife takes it for her medical condition as there is a known link for improved blood flow.
  • fb47
    Options
    MMM interesting, so I guess I'll take it daily as a spreadsheet workout and just for improved blood flow I guess.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Actually, CM is not really a pump activator and you do need to take BA daily to get the results. I don't know how well these all work together especially when you are taking creatine on top because they all do the same basic thing, slightly increase work capacity. I don't know of any study that has looked at stacking.
  • fb47
    edited March 2018
    Options

Actually, CM is not really a pump activator and you do need to take BA daily to get the results. I don't know how well these all work together especially when you are taking creatine on top because they all do the same basic thing, slightly increase work capacity. I don't know of any study that has looked at stacking.

According to many website including the faithfull examine.com, beta-alanine is recommended daily, it acts similarly to creatine in which it needs to be build up in your system. Citruline malate is something I am not sure about taking daily because like I said earlier, there's a lot of contradiction...heck even on this post, it's still not clear.
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2018
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »

According to many website including the faithfull examine.com, beta-alanine is recommended daily, it acts similarly to creatine in which it needs to be build up in your system. Citruline malate is something I am not sure about taking daily because like I said earlier, there's a lot of contradiction...heck even on this post, it's still not clear.

Its contextual..... If you want it for improved muscle recovery and reduced fatigue intra workout, than take it an hour before. If you want it for improved circularoty health, than you take it daily.

For L-Citruline, take 3-5g, and for Citrulline Malate take 6-8g.

My wife does it daily for thr circulatory benefits for POTS.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

No need to take it daily but you can take it anytime of the day from my understanding.
  • psuLemon
    Options

No need to take it daily but you can take it anytime of the day from my understanding.

Only if your goal is for improved recovery and reduced fatigued from exercise.
  • fb47
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Its contextual..... If you want it for improved muscle recovery and reduced fatigue intra workout, than take it an hour before. If you want it for improved circularoty health, than you take it daily.

I order from this website https://canadianprotein.com/citrulline-malate, it says to take a scoop which is 5g of citruline malate providing L-Citrulline 3.4g ...I suppose, I should increase that number to 6-8g despite the products recommendations. I am even surprised, supplement companies usually push their clients to take more, but in this instance, they recommend less, is there something I am not seeing?
  • psuLemon
    Options

I order from this website https://canadianprotein.com/citrulline-malate, it says to take a scoop which is 5g of citruline malate providing L-Citrulline 3.4g ...I suppose, I should increase that number to 6-8g despite the products recommendations. I am even surprised, supplement companies usually push their clients to take more, but in this instance, they recommend less, is there something I am not seeing?

Nope... many companies just tend to under dose. It's why it's so important to understand what the dosing scheme is, which is why Examine.com is so valuable.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Nope... many most companies just tend to under dose. It's why it's so important to understand what the dosing scheme is, which is why Examine.com is so valuable.

FIFY

I haven't found a preworkout yet that has the right BA and creatine dosing.

proprietary blend/"concentrated" =underdosed
  • fb47
    Options

Nope... many companies just tend to under dose. It's why it's so important to understand what the dosing scheme is, which is why Examine.com is so valuable.

It still surprises me because they could've easily said to take 6-8g which means the bag would end faster which means more buys. But I'll still aim at 8g of it.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Nope... many most companies just tend to under dose. It's why it's so important to understand what the dosing scheme is, which is why Examine.com is so valuable.

FIFY

https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Pulse-Pre-Workout-Supplement/dp/B00QYZ6MLG/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1520872721&sr=8-3&keywords=legion+pulse+pre-workout&th=1

Legion (Mike Matthews company) does not only for BA but also for Citrulline.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited March 2018
    Options

Only if your goal is for improved recovery and reduced fatigued from exercise.

Yes, which would be good reasons for taking it, but if I recall correctly from Examine it wasn't necessary even for those purposes to take it daily. If you have a link to something showing that daily has advantages I'd be interested in seeing it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

FIFY

Absolutely, and anything even close to a proper dose would be very expensive. Just buy in bulk and mix it.

Note: Omar Isuf actually had a low priced pre with proper dosing, called Gnosis Singularity, but he pulled it after a CAD order from an Italian company for TM infringement. If you search for the ingredients list you'll get a good idea what your bulk mixes should look like.

• fb47
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I just noticed the company I got it from also have their own pre workout which seems similar to the Legion one (with a slightly lesser dose, but within examine.com reccomendations) https://canadianprotein.com/c-pre Funny that in that one, they put 6000 mg of citruline malate opposed to the citruline malate bag which they recommend taking only 5g. I could always copy their ingredients nonetheless minus the other non essential ingredients.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I just noticed the company I got it from also have their own pre workout which seems similar to the Legion one (with a slightly lesser dose, but within examine.com reccomendations) https://canadianprotein.com/c-pre Funny that in that one, they put 6000 mg of citruline malate opposed to the citruline malate bag which they recommend taking only 5g. I could always copy their ingredients nonetheless minus the other non essential ingredients.

5g is strange since 6-8 is known to be the effective range.