I tried Halo Top for the first time today and...

Options
sarahbums
sarahbums Posts: 1,061 Member
I'm so sad!

I got the cookies 'n creme flavor, and it's awful. There's almost this coconut-y flavor to it for some reason?? I literally had to check the expiration date on the pint to make sure it hadn't gone bad or something. Maybe it's just because I've been spoiled by good ol' Blue Bell all my life?

any recommendations for flavors that are more.....tolerable?

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Are you sure you didn't get the dairy-free version (although I'm not sure that there's a cookies n creme flavor in dairy free, but df does use coconut milk). However, that said, I like oatmeal cookie, chocolate and pbcup flavors (dairy free, i've never had the dairy version).
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Some flavors are good and some I really don't care for. I like the mint, the chocolate mocha and the s'mores flavors. The birthday cake one is awful.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    I'm so sad!

I got the cookies 'n creme flavor, and it's awful. There's almost this coconut-y flavor to it for some reason?? I literally had to check the expiration date on the pint to make sure it hadn't gone bad or something. Maybe it's just because I've been spoiled by good ol' Blue Bell all my life?

any recommendations for flavors that are more.....tolerable?

Cookies and creme is disgusting, I agree. I love the plain ones like chocolate and vanilla. I LOVE the cookie dough one, pistachio, candy bar, and red velvet. Not a fan of the mint or smores and the pancake and waffles one is way too sweet for my liking. I've tried them all. :smile:
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    This happened to me this past weekend.
    I wanted to see what the fuss was about, so I bought the Cookies n cream one too, I hated it!!!
    My friend said the red velvet one is gross too lol
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    I REALLY liked the caramel macchiato and sea salt caramel (and I hate coffee and...er...salt :)). The chocolate's good too and so is the candy bar flavor.

I liked Birthday Cake the first time I tried it but was underwhelmed the second time.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've had similarly mixed experiences with Halo Top.

I like peanut butter and chocolate. I had high hopes for s'mores but was sorely disappointed. The sherbet flavor is odd, but my husband likes it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Hit and miss, even on the same flavor sometimes. The last one I opened went straight to the trash. Never again.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    My favourite flavours are: Cinnamon Roll, Candy bar, Mint Chip, Salted Caramel, Peanut Butter cup, Smores. I don't really love any of the other flavours.
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I tried the caramel macchiato.... not a fan :(
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Salted caramel is awesome!! I'm about to try the waffle and pancakes flavor when I get home will keep y'all updated!!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I thought sea salt caramel was good. The only problem is it just screams for pecans...

EDIT - I eat a lot of fat free frozen yogurt also. It is not as low calorie (still has sugar), but I think it tastes better. Food Lion's store brand strawberry is 100 calories per half cup, so 400 a pint. Some Halo Top comes in as low as 240 but some are over 300. Still, for cost and flavor i would rather eat less of the tastier stuff.
  • hereiamonceagain
    hereiamonceagain Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hated the smores one because it also had a coconut taste to it! If you're willing to give it a shot, pancakes and waffles is the best halo top flavor tbh. People also talk a lot about Breyers Delights.
  • coconuts3
    coconuts3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love the peanut butter cup flavor!! but I agree, some of the other flavors are definitely a miss for me, which is a bummer.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    I hated the smores one because it also had a coconut taste to it! If you're willing to give it a shot, pancakes and waffles is the best halo top flavor tbh. People also talk a lot about Breyers Delights.

I had to get used to the Pancakes and Waffle flavor. The syrup taste seemed off to me but I powered through the pint and didn't completely hate it by the end. I probably won't buy it again tho.

or the Rainbow Swirl! Pretty colors....reeeeeeeeeeeeally icky taste. Like medicinal.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love HT! And yes, the flavors are hit or miss. Cookies and cream is the worst one, imo. I love peanut butter, chocolate, oatmeal cookie, seasalt caramel, lemon cake, mint, mochi, rainbow. A scoop of vanilla in diet root beer or with coffee poured over is excellent. And be really careful not to get the ones that say dairy free because they are not good.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I think it is personal preference! I like the cookies n cream, but I don’t think it tastes like cookies n cream ice cream at all. I didn’t like the mint! Or chocolate almond crunch!

My favorite is the peanut butter cup or pistachio! I haven’t seen the candy bar anywhere, but I’m curious to try it!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I like the Red Velvet.
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Birthday cake is the worst. Chocolate, peanut butter cup and sea salt caramel are my go to's.
  • kschildroth
    kschildroth Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Halo is hit or miss for me depending on the flavor. My favorites are pb cup, pistachio, or candy bar. I recently tried enlightened and skinny cow pints and I've enjoyed those.