Weight loss prescription?

Options
Hi folks. At my last physical, I spoke with my doctor about my recent weight gain. He offered to prescribe me something to help curb my appetite. I declined at the time, but have been thinking about it since then. Does anyone have experience with prescription weight loss pills? My doctor is generally very conservative when it comes to medication, so I wouldn't think he would have brought it up if it wasn't safe and effective. I know I can lose the weight on my own by watching my diet and adding more exercise, but a little bit of a leg up couldn't hurt, right?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What happens when you stop taking them?
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Depends a lot on your existing health and any other meds you are taking. A lot of prescription appetite suppressants can increase anxiety, insomnia, heart rate, blood pressure, etc. If those aren't normally already problems for you, then it probably wouldn't be a big deal to try them out. If you've already got problems with those symptoms, I wouldn't bother with them. It's a leg-up, but not a solution in and of itself, and certainly not a necessity.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Depends what he is talking about, stimulants? metformin? victoza or byetta?
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If a person sees food as fuel, that's fine; but if a person each for comfort or entertainment or boredom, an appetite suppressant isn't going to help them.

Yes thanks, understand that. Can anyone speak to actually using one? That was what I had asked about.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »
    If a person sees food as fuel, that's fine; but if a person each for comfort or entertainment or boredom, an appetite suppressant isn't going to help them.

Yes thanks, understand that. Can anyone speak to actually using one? That was what I had asked about.

Should I delete my post?

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

If you've got a solid plan, they certainly can help. I used the OTC stack that was all the rage in the late 90s AKA the actual active ingredient in Hydroxycut. 30 lbs in 30 days. I felt great. Kept it off for 18 months until I lost my workout partner to a shoulder injury and my activity level went back down.

Oops.

Edited to add.

I was fortunate, no long term side effects or damage. Others not so fortunate, One of the guys I was training with suffered permanent damage to his heart.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    In my 40's I took fen-phen for about 2 months. I was in an extremely stressful situation and had chaotic eating patterns that involved over-eating due to fear that I might be in a situation later in the day where I would be hungry and didn't have access to food. The meds gave me time to step back from that and establish a routine for meals (at that time allotting a certain number of calories to each meal, and having breakfast and lunch be mostly repetitive to minimize decision-making points).

When I went off the meds my eating routines had become habit and I was able to stick to them without much difficulty. I lost around 30 lbs in around 4 months and kept it off for several years by sticking with the same schedule until a move which resulted in a 4 hour daily commute and a drastic reduction in activity.

I think meds can be helpful if approached as a temporary tool to establish habits that can be followed post-treatment. I agree with everyone who says that the meds are useless (or even harmful) if used as a crutch to lose weight without changing your relationship to food and eating patterns, which is how most people approach them.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hi folks. At my last physical, I spoke with my doctor about my recent weight gain. He offered to prescribe me something to help curb my appetite. I declined at the time, but have been thinking about it since then. Does anyone have experience with prescription weight loss pills? My doctor is generally very conservative when it comes to medication, so I wouldn't think he would have brought it up if it wasn't safe and effective. I know I can lose the weight on my own by watching my diet and adding more exercise, but a little bit of a leg up couldn't hurt, right?

I took some for 3 weeks. They made me crazy. I couldn't think straight. I was so forgetful and just felt weird all the time. Not worth it to me.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I took some for 3 weeks. They made me crazy. I couldn't think straight. I was so forgetful and just felt weird all the time. Not worth it to me.

Oops, never mind quoted wrong post.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You continue watching your diet and exercising. What happens when you reach your weight loss goal? You continue watching your diet and exercising.

So why not start with watching your diet and exercising?

Obviously I am doing that already. Why would you assume I'm not? Just wondering if anyone has any experience with prescription appetite suppressants and could speak to the experience/the effectiveness/the drawbacks. I hadn't even thought about it until my doctor brought it up, and would like to gather some more information from people with firsthand experience. He didn't name a specific medication, but presumably he thinks I'm a good candidate for them.

Who marked my comment about diet and exercise as woo? That is the opposite of woo.

This is the Debate section. It seems you posted in the wrong section, so you might wish to ask that your post be moved.
  • dysonsphere1
    dysonsphere1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have some phentermine in my cupboard. I lost 50 pounds with it before and here I am, 2 years later, needing to lose those same 50 pounds and 50 more that I still hadn't lost. Don't get me wrong, they do help. The side effects are that you are irritable, have trouble sleeping, grind your teeth, and are thirsty a lot. But you aren't hungry. The reason I am not taking them anymore is because not being hungry is not normal and you can't take them forever. In normal life, you are hungry. You think about food. And so when I went off of them, the weight crept back on and this time I'm going to learn to be aware of what I'm eating and find ways to cope with hunger that don't include the pills. I suppose you can use them as a tool for a short time if you feel you really need to.
  • abigale27
    abigale27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My doctor had prescribed me Qsymia, it definelty curbed my appetite, but the constant tingling in my arms and legs that would wake me up at night, along with the migraines was just too much for me.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am on them and have been on the in the past (Adipex/phentermine generic). In the past I did very well with them for the first few months. Now I have 80 lbs to lose and my dr prescribed them. The first few days you will be very jittery but extremely "busy" -- you will get so, so much done! It's a great time to plan projects around your house you need done because trust me - you will get them all done! The thing I love about them besides the energy, is that they also just completely block out your hunger and cravings. They are a great tool for someone who has a lot of weight to lose and needs that "boost" to get through a few good weeks. After about 2 months on them, they will begin to wear off and you won't feel the same affects. However, my dr. and I discussed this and have a plan that when that time comes, I'm going to move over to one of the other new brands of diet pills that work on seratonin. In the meantime, I am eating a very healthy diet and started an exercise program to change my way of eating, habits and incorporate exercise to be successful as the pills are a short-term aid. Good luck!
  • fluffball1
    fluffball1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’ve been prescribed Victoza by my Endo. You start on a v low dose and gradually increase over 3 or 4 levels. Been on it 3 weeks and am currently in the 2nd level and I won’t be rushing to increase this for a while. This is a medication that comes as an injection pen which you give yourself once a day. It’s really easy to do and pretty much painless. For me it has removed my appetite and enabled me to drop some weight during a very difficult menopause where i was struggling hugely to lose in the normal way. I also have insulin resistance and under active thyroid so trying to lose weight has been a life long battle that I don’t seem to win. One can moralise on the healthy best ways to lose weight all day long but if you aren’t being successful and if this can help then do what works for you. The health benefits of getting out of obesity far outweigh anything else.