SI Joint/Lower back pain ... Can't work out :(

Nearly two weeks ago I strained a SI joint in my lower back … possibly during deadlifts. It hurts to do most anything.

I have been doing the recommended treatment such as rest, ibuprofen and SI joint stretches (pelvic tilts, gentle knees side to side, and the single knee to chest to stretch)

Has anyone else has experienced this, about how long did it take for the pain to go away, and should I be doing other exercises in the meantime such as leg extensions and curls?

I am anxious to get back in the gym as I do not want to lose the gains.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Are you sure it's your SI joint? That seems to be the most (self) misdiagnosed issue among lifters. I thought I had the same issue; turns out I herniated a disc.

Things to work on while you heal: lots of stretching (hamstrings, glutes, QL), look into McGill's big 3 for mobility, and work on strengthening your core. In my opinion squats, deads, or any other compound lift don't work your core enough.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    You are correct about it being self-diagnosed although I do have a doctor appointment end of next week.

When researching, the symptoms fell more in line with SL Joint rather than herniated disc, as I am not feeling any pain in buttocks, thigh or anywhere else other than the left side of lower back.

Thank you ... I will def look into McGill's big 3 xx
  • ew_david
    I'm not saying you have a herniated disc. I'm just saying it's likely not an SI joint issue. There's a lot at play when it comes to back injuries and it's not all black and white. Not to be a jerk, but when asking Dr. Google what might be wrong, you can apply your symptoms to just about anything.

Your doctor will likely send you to physical therapy. If he/she doesn't, ask for it. Then find a PT who works with athletes. Also, heat is your friend. Good luck!
  • DJ_Skywalker
    Oh, I completely agree with you on the not relying on Google :) I have more than a week before I can see my doctor and I thought I would ask folks here if they have experienced the same as it hurts to even turn over in bed :)
    Mostly concerned about not being able to lift at the moment though :(
  • ew_david
    Yes, not lifting sucks (been there!) and being in pain sucks more.

Are you on IG? If so, look up DocJenFit, Squat_University, and The Movement Maestro. All are PTs and all are lifters in some capacity. Their content is my favorite (but not a substitute for still going to your doctor). They post lots of good mobility stuff.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    Thank you for the awesome info! I appreciate you! x
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I agree with the recommendation to work out/stretch/roll/etc the entire posterior chain. The vast majority of my back problems either start with or are exacerbated by tight glutes and/or hams. But especially glutes.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Are you on IG? If so, look up DocJenFit, Squat_University, and The Movement Maestro. All are PTs and all are lifters in some capacity. Their content is my favorite (but not a substitute for still going to your doctor). They post lots of good mobility stuff.

Thanks for the recommendations - looks like some good content there.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Def go to your doc, after you get it all sorted with rest, PT, anti-inflammatories, or whatever it is they recommend. Then I would go to a PT or someone well trained in proper body mechanics and maybe have them look at how you are doing certain exercises, a lot of times they can see if you are activating the right muscles or compensating somewhere, this could potentially help to not re injure yourself in the future. Our Athletic Trainers and Rehabilitative fitness coaches here won't let us do even kettle bell swings until they have seen and assessed how we do them. My right glute doesn't fire like it should so they have worked with me to get it activated.
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    yoga~
  • ew_david
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Thanks for the recommendations - looks like some good content there.

NP. I wish I would have found them sooner.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    I have had lower back pains for a few month.
    I finally saw a doctor Monday. I have scoliosis and he thinks I am pinching some ligaments. He'd like me to get a MRI right away but have to go the correct route for Insurance to pay and I have an Xray today, which will more than likely be pointless.

I hope your pain begins to lessen in time. I got a back roller and it helps for a little bit but then I am back to pain. I do have some muscle relaxers for night and some stronger ibuprofen for during the day.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    boehle wrote: »
    I have had lower back pains for a few month.
    I finally saw a doctor Monday. I have scoliosis and he thinks I am pinching some ligaments. He'd like me to get a MRI right away but have to go the correct route for Insurance to pay and I have an Xray today, which will more than likely be pointless.

I hope your pain begins to lessen in time. I got a back roller and it helps for a little bit but then I am back to pain. I do have some muscle relaxers for night and some stronger ibuprofen for during the day.

Hey there, so a lot of insurance won't cover an mri unless you have an xray first. Since xrays are less expensive if they can figure out what is going on with xrays first then it saves money and time. Xrays for scoliosis are important and should be done so they can measure the degree of your curve and keep up with it over time. It also allows them to measure alignment of your pelvis and shoulders in relation to your spine. MRI you are like a loaf of bread and they slice you up and pull out a piece and look at it, xrays everything is superimposed and you are standing so they can get their measurements. Both modalities can be important especially for scoliosis. MRI is more for soft tissue structures and xray is more for bones and alignment. I hope this helps you to understand the thought process and makes paying for it a little less painful ;)

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited March 2018
    I seriously injured my right SI joint 5 years ago (diagnosed by MRI) doing a heavy back squat w/bad form and, I'm sorry to say that the pain has NEVER completely gone away.

This is after NOT doing any lifting at all for 3 years and undergoing 2 very expensive semi-surgical procedures (covered by insurance) to inject cortisone in the affected area using ultasound guidance to alleviate it.

I have been lifting again for 2 years and can deadlift and squat w/o pain when doing it BUT there is ALWAYS some tenderness and soreness in the area, which I can feel even now sitting in a chair while writing this msg.

So, I don't want to discourage you but back problems are the worst to deal with and often become chronic regardless of your age. All you can do is follow the recommendations for rest and recovery and hope for the best.

The best news that you can get from your doc would be that's NOT a problem w/your SI joint or anything related to your spine.

Good luck!
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I strained my seriously injured my right SI joint 5 years ago doing a heavy back squat w/bad form and, I'm sorry to say that the pain has NEVER completely gone away.

This is after NOT doing any lifting at all for 3 years and undergoing 2 very expensive semi-surgical procedures (covered by insurance) to inject cortisone in the affected area using ultasound guidance to alleviate it.

I have been lifting again for 2 years and can deadlift and squat w/o pain when doing it BUT there is ALWAYS some tenderness and soreness in the area, which I can feel even now sitting in a chair while writing this msg.

So, I don't want to discorage you but back problems are the worst to deal with and often become chronic regardless of your age. All you can do is follow the recommendations for rest and recovery and hope for the best.

Good luck!

I feel your pain "literally"! I've had 3 of the injections. Something I've been dealing with for over a year now but the injections do give me relief. I'm lifting and running again as well!
  • DJ_Skywalker
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I seriously injured my right SI joint 5 years ago (diagnosed by MRI) doing a heavy back squat w/bad form and, I'm sorry to say that the pain has NEVER completely gone away.

So, I don't want to discourage you but back problems are the worst to deal with and often become chronic regardless of your age. All you can do is follow the recommendations for rest and recovery and hope for the best.

The best news that you can get from your doc would be that's NOT a problem w/your SI joint or anything related to your spine.

Good luck!

Ugh ... sounds awful :(
    I am hoping for the best. I get a little sad thinking I won’t be able to lift for awhile and I’ll lose the muscles I’ve gained in the past months :neutral:
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited March 2018
    I injured my SI about 6 months ago, I was lifting heavy at the time, but never experienced anything which seemed to be the cause of the injury, I just went in one day to lift and it started feeling unstable and painful, especially when sitting. Seeing a chiropractor seemed to help when it flares up, however after many visits and still not having relief I decided to stop going and stopped lifting for several months. I'm still experiencing pain even with no lifting and after several months of rest. I'm trying to get back to training now and just doing things that don't hurt. (Light squats, Leg press and back extensions have been alright for me if it's not flared up. Deadlifting is a no go.)

I would be cautious if you try to train around it. If it is related to a muscle imbalances (my chiro and I think mine is) you don't want to further the imbalance by continuing to train the stronger areas and neglect the weaker ones. Just doing leg curls/extensions isn't a very balanced approach imo.

I hope your doctor is able to help you. I would love to get an MRI or something so I can learn more, but I don't have insurance and am usually turned down for expensive things that are considered non emergencies.. Sigh.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    I injured my SI about 6 months ago, I was lifting heavy at the time, but never experienced anything which seemed to be the cause of the injury, I just went in one day to lift and it started feeling unstable and painful, especially when sitting. Seeing a chiropractor seemed to help when it flares up, however after many visits and still not having relief I decided to stop going and stopped lifting for several months. I'm still experiencing pain even with no lifting and after several months of rest. I'm trying to get back to training now and just doing things that don't hurt. (Light squats, Leg press and back extensions have been alright for me if it's not flared up. Deadlifting is a no go.)

I would be cautious if you try to train around it. If it is related to a muscle imbalances (my chiro and I think mine is) you don't want to further the imbalance by continuing to train the stronger areas and neglect the weaker ones. Just doing leg curls/extensions isn't a very balanced approach imo.

I hope your doctor is able to help you. I would love to get an MRI or something so I can learn more, but I don't have insurance and am usually turned down for expensive things that are considered non emergencies.. Sigh.

What do you think would be more balanced for leg work?
    Back row, bench press and OHP are still in my routine, but I’m planning on taking a week or two off from lifting since I have a race coming up.
  • not_a_runner

What do you think would be more balanced for leg work?
    Back row, bench press and OHP are still in my routine, but I’m planning on taking a week or two off from lifting since I have a race coming up.

Compound movements are typically better than isolation work.
    I'm no expert of course, and as mentioned haven't worked with anyone but my chiro.. but in general you're losing a lot of stabilization work, core and lower back work by only doing iso's like leg curl/leg exten. For me, we think my issue may have stemmed from my core and lower back being weak in comparison to my legs. I don't have all the answers yet (and you may not even have the same issue as I do) But only doing leg isolation in my case would have been a bad idea.
  • not_a_runner
    Waiting a week or two until you see your doctor is not that long though. You're not going to lose a significant amount of muscle or strength in that time.