Restarting my Journey

Options
JoenDeb1958
JoenDeb1958 Posts: 229 Member
edited March 2018 in Getting Started
I'm restarting my journey to weight loss.
With the help of this app and a couple of good friends from the community board in 2016 I lost 53 pounds. But depression, and lack of motivation ate away at me while I gained 40 of those pounds back.
I know I can do it again it's just hard convincing myself.
Join me on this discovery.

Replies

• JoenDeb1958
    Options
    LoopyMo, mrshernandez05 I have added you
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    Yesterday started out with me doing great sticking to my meal plan.
    Then life happens my Millennium child has a meltdown calls and I start to spiral down the rabbit hole.
    I needed carbs warm, tasty, buttery cinnamon rolls filled that spot.
    I'm an emotional eater. How do I change that? I tried exercising, that doesn't work. I tried hobbies and it doesn't work.
    Does anybody have any ideas that would work?
    I'm willing to try anything....
  • mrmcgrath
    mrmcgrath Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have been back on for 2 months now and each day it gets easier. I am an emotional eater as well (I eat when bored, too).
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    Mrmgrath you r added
  • guintolose
    guintolose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I understand, I'm also starting over! And I, too, struggle with emotional eating...let's be buddies and we can fight the good fight together! ;)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Deleted.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    "
  • LindaCCherry
    LindaCCherry Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am restarting as well. Like you, I battle with depression, especially severe seasonal depression that starts toward the end of October and runs toward the end of February. I am also a single mother of a child that is, what I consider to be high needs, even at 18 years old but not as much as when she was younger (bipolar, depression, severe narcissism, just to list a few). It all takes its toll on you - mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

One thing I have found to help ground me is getting out in nature - whether it be the woodlands, the sea, somewhere in between, or your own backyard. It helps to take time to breath, to be still and know, to cry if needed, or to pray to whatever God you believe in. It refreshes you and releases all that pent up anxiety that you may not realize you have held in all day, week, or month. Feel free to add or message anytime you need an understanding ear.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Then life happens my Millennium child has a meltdown calls and I start to spiral down the rabbit hole.
    I'm an emotional eater. How do I change that? I tried exercising, that doesn't work. I tried hobbies and it doesn't work.

When you are feeling really stressed go for a long, I find that it really helps
    It helps to calm me down, to help me to sleep and overall make me feel really good in mind and body.
    Get some nice music: whether its gospel, country, rock whatever is your favorite. Install them on whatever device you have and start walking slowly.
    You will be surprised
    Don't feel guilty about talking to yourself, I do that all the time.
    Regarding cinnamon rolls etc. You know what your weaknesses are, try and limit those in the house.
    Schedule them for your treat maybe twice a week.
    I have Saturdays and Sundays as my treat days where I eat more calories. During the week, I limit my calories between 1300 - 1500. Weekends it goes up to 1700, and I treat myself
    Good luck
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    As long as you recognize that you are an emotional eater, you can change it. When you find yourself reaching for that cinnamon roll, send it to me...errr, I mean take a moment to yourself. Make some tea (maybe even apple cinnamon to get the flavor) and just sit with your tea and your emotion for a few minutes. Feel how it affects your chest, your shoulders, etc. Now take some deep breaths to relax those muscles...

Saying no to the cravings is a habit that needs practice.

Do you still want me to send you the cinnamon rolls after I've drank my tea?
    Thank you for giving me that input. I will try that next time the Millennium gets me worked up.
  • beckyboo542
    beckyboo542 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm restarting as well. Lost 60 lbs in 2015/2016 and then had some health problems which resulted in 2 surgeries and fell off the wagon. I was doing so good and can't seem to get myself back. Feel free to add me, I need a few buddies to help me be accountable :)
  • JoenDeb1958
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am restarting as well. Like you, I battle with depression, especially severe seasonal depression that starts toward the end of October and runs toward the end of February. I am also a single mother of a child that is, what I consider to be high needs, even at 18 years old but not as much as when she was younger (bipolar, depression, severe narcissism, just to list a few). It all takes its toll on you - mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

One thing I have found to help ground me is getting out in nature - whether it be the woodlands, the sea, somewhere in between, or your own backyard. It helps to take time to breath, to be still and know, to cry if needed, or to pray to whatever God you believe in. It refreshes you and releases all that pent up anxiety that you may not realize you have held in all day, week, or month. Feel free to add or message anytime you need an understanding ear.

Yes I've been fighting depression since having the millennium. She's 16 years apart from her oldest sister, 14 from her next.
    I try not to get caught up in her daily drama but it's hard especially since she's the baby.
    I did so well in 2016 taking the weight off exercising. Motivation was my granddaughter, she graduated early from high school. Grandma wanted to look better.
    This time around I don't have a goal in mind other than to lose the weight again.
    I thank God daily that I didn't gain all of it back, but I came oh so close.
    I used to walk a lot but I have osteoarthritis in my knees.
    I just need to get my motivation back for going back to the gym and being having the conviction to complete that everyday. I do thank you for your Insight.
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    socajam wrote: »

When you are feeling really stressed go for a long, I find that it really helps
    It helps to calm me down, to help me to sleep and overall make me feel really good in mind and body.
    Get some nice music: whether its gospel, country, rock whatever is your favorite. Install them on whatever device you have and start walking slowly.
    You will be surprised
    Don't feel guilty about talking to yourself, I do that all the time.
    Regarding cinnamon rolls etc. You know what your weaknesses are, try and limit those in the house.
    Schedule them for your treat maybe twice a week.
    I have Saturdays and Sundays as my treat days where I eat more calories. During the week, I limit my calories between 1300 - 1500. Weekends it goes up to 1700, and I treat myself
    Good luck

Thank you for the hints.
    I used to go out and enjoy the Beach when I lived in California. I live in Alabama and lately It's been crap weather. Fourth straight day of under 40s and freeze warning.
    I do put on my music -- give me some Carlos Santana or something with a good mix and I relax.
    That's a two edged sword. If I sleep too much my doctors want to put me on more pills because don't you know "you're isolating yourself from society you shouldn't do that let's get you on some more pills".
    So I don't want to sleep a lot. There are days when I just say "no I'm not going to be an adult" and I'm going to put myself on a timeout.
    It works some days but there's just those times or you can't control the desire and you want that bad carb.
  • JoenDeb1958
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm restarting as well. Lost 60 lbs in 2015/2016 and then had some health problems which resulted in 2 surgeries and fell off the wagon. I was doing so good and can't seem to get myself back. Feel free to add me, I need a few buddies to help me be accountable :)

I hope your surgeries went well.
    I noticed to that life changes can put me over the edge.
    I took 6 months and babysat my youngest grandchild in Texas, my life was on hold.
    My eldest daughter had heart surgery recently. We had gone through numerous ER visits, doctor visits and a battle of tests.(she's had surgery 3wks ago)
    I am now an empty nester my Millennium moved out in December.
    So I had a lot of changes going on in my life in the last year and my doctor changed my pills and added two different pills ones. Needless to say my dissatisfaction is high with my life right now.
    I thank you for caring and sharing what works for you.
  • Pagirl570
    Pagirl570 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm restarting too. I lost 65# last yr and then I found it harder to maintain than lose. I went to Drs tday and I'm up 15#. Im an emotional eater also, especially when I'm home. I set my calories to 1200 and the app set my carbs,fats and protein accordingly. Should I stick to those requirements or decrease them?
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    Pagirl570 wrote: »
    I'm restarting too. I lost 65# last yr and then I found it harder to maintain than lose. I went to Drs tday and I'm up 15#. Im an emotional eater also, especially when I'm home. I set my calories to 1200 and the app set my carbs,fats and protein accordingly. Should I stick to those requirements or decrease them?

What worked for you last time? How did you end up losing that weight? Those are the questions I've been asking myself.
    I think that if I find what works I can stick to it. It will be the same for you. I haven't decreased my calorie intake that much because I am very heavy I am 340 lb. And even at doing a pound a week I think my calories are at 2500 but I'm not even consuming that much.
    We both just need to find what's going to make us motivated to stay on track.
    We can do this!
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    Today is a new day for me. I'm trying to being nice and taking a friend to the doctor. He doesn't like to drive. When I'm older I hope somebody will do this for me.
    I haven't even eaten breakfast and it's almost 11:00. Am I doing intermittent fasting since I'm not eating? Maybe that's what I should do. Do they only eat one meal a day? How many calories do I you consume in that meal?
    Any answers would be appreciated.