Coworkers baffled me...

Options

Replies

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Ugh yes, a few months ago, way before I started on this site I signed up to bring something in for "Wednesday Treat Day" that day is coming soon and it is stressing me out! I don't know what to make that won't tempt me too much!

Bring in a tray of healthier but tasty foods such as fruits, veggies, cheeses, and low fat dips. Sandwich wraps. etc. Things that you like. Costco and other grocery stores has trays you can bring. Just a suggestion.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    My coworkers full a table right by my desk full of cookies, treats, dainties, cheeses, chips, donuts... Every. Damn. Day.

It's been so stressful at work lately that I've been having a hard time leaving them alone, and my scale has shown it. :(

Back to logging and a deficit for me. I'm tired of feeling horrible AND stressed!

It’s hard being in that position! I’d suggest requesting moving the snack table to another location. The hardest but best thing to do is to be honest. I’d say “Guys, I’m working really hard on a new lifestyle and don’t want to blow it. Having the snack table within reach is really just too much temptation for me. Can I please move it somewhere else? I’d really appreciate it!”

Yes, you SHOULD do this. Just be prepared - your co-workers may see it as an indictment of their lifestyle, even though that's not your intent. They know what they're doing is detrimental but people don't usually like to be called on their behavior. On the other hand, you may unwittingly influence another co-worker, who may influence someone else . . . etc.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Zodikosis wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    People just don't know. It's not taught at school.

Sorry, don't buy this. I don't believe a normally functioning adult doesn't know that eating too much will make one fat.

They know that, but they probably have a fuzzier notion of what "too much" is. I once had to explain to my brother that he couldn't just burn off a whole family-sized bag of chips with a quick 20 minute run. :/

I believe it's pretty simple to identify when it's too much.

Like when your pants don't fit anymore in the waist.

Lagging indicator. By that time is already happened.

People aren't simple, they behave in perverse ways. That's why marketing is so effective, and the diet woo industry spend a lot on marketing.

Marketeers, third up against the wall come the day of the glorious revolution...

Pant size may be a lagging indicator, but in most cases it changes with a 20 pound or so gain. Significantly easier to right the ship at that point rather than letting it sink.

People just want to look for easy way out instead of doing the work or be "uncomfortable". That is why the B.S. diet industry is so successful.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    "They shrink! They keep shrinking! I wear elastic now..."

Denial. It ain't just a river in Egypt no more.

LOL, wearing elastic related to weight is planning to fail IMO.