Willpower is overrated

13»

Replies

• ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    I myself when I first started my journey felt like I could run on willpower alone. Right now? Not so much. But thats okay because that doesn't decrease my desire to look good and my original willpower kicked all my bad habits for me so now I dont have to motivate myself to eat right or dig deep to not eat a whole box of pizza it just seems ... normal. ^_^
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Still liking this thread.

After determining to change my life, I regularly used a technique taught by Stanford University to re-evaluate my goals and adjust.

http://patienteducation.stanford.edu/programs/cdsmp.html

That technique also takes the emotion out of it. A bad day is a bad day. One lousy choice does not scuttle success. What can I try differently next time?
  • jgnatca
    I agree that new habits build a new normal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Well after 2 years of this, I've definitely got new habits... but see, that's still different from willpower. I got in the habit of wanting to exercise, or at least get moving a bit, every day. To the point where it bothers me if I don't. But willpower has been going down quite significantly.
  • jgnatca
    That's my point, Francl27. I've had people describe my weight loss journey as a "struggle". If I had been "struggling" for the past year, I'd be exhausted by now. Yes, willpower is needed on occasion to resist a temptation, but what gets me through is revamping my normal. I, too, feel much better if I get my exercise in. That's a complete shift from where I was a year ago.

On the food front, my perception of a portion size is completely different. I have different food habits and I pick healthier choices more often. But I don't stress over it. There was a bowl of Halloween chocolates at the front desk and I resisted on three passes, and then during my afternoon slump, I went and got one. One. Only one. Some willpower, but not a slave to perfect choices all the time.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well after 2 years of this, I've definitely got new habits... but see, that's still different from willpower. I got in the habit of wanting to exercise, or at least get moving a bit, every day. To the point where it bothers me if I don't. But willpower has been going down quite significantly.

They are def different!

Willpower is used to make a choice:
    do I sleep in which feels nice, or will I get up and workout which will further the goals I have set.

Habit is something that has become a part of your life or way of living:
    I wake up and have coffee every morning, I don't make the choice every day it's just part of my day.

I pick up my kids from school and go to the gym after, it's just what I do.

I also find it is easer to attach a new habit to an existing one. Like my gym habit. I was already in the car so all I had to do is change from driving home to driving to the gym.
  • jgnatca
    I also find it is easier to attach a new habit to an existing one.

Yes!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    We may each have different definitions of each word or what we associate with it: willpower, determination, motivation, etc. But, I think it all boils down to the same thing: whatever method works for you, use it.

Personally, I tend to dislike the word "willpower" because if you break it down, you're saying you are "willing" something to happen or not happen. Akin to closing your eyes tightly and making a wish and hoping it happens. The other words I associate with actual ACTIONS.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    The power of habit (book) suggests the same. It also suggests developing good habits so you idon'thave to rely on willpower in times of need. Congrats on your loss!

Yes, Duhigg recommends thinking of willpower like a muscle. And he recommends doing things which require willpower earlier in the day. Words to live by folks. And this is a great book.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited November 2014
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    We may each have different definitions of each word or what we associate with it: willpower, determination, motivation, etc. But, I think it all boils down to the same thing: whatever method works for you, use it.

Personally, I tend to dislike the word "willpower" because if you break it down, you're saying you are "willing" something to happen or not happen. Akin to closing your eyes tightly and making a wish and hoping it happens. The other words I associate with actual ACTIONS.

i can totally agree with this mostly, except for me it isn't willing something to happen, instead it is the will to put in the effort, or horse power :D

Hey nice new pic!

• 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Hi everyone, after 20years of trying to get rid of 31kg, I am ready to shoot myself, that seems easier to do! 20 years all that time I could have gone to school and university again!! I wonder which would be easier to do!! Maybe like a headache I look for a panado right, so when I get stressed my saliva glands start working and I look to eat, maybe I should have just opened my mouth and screamed instead or taken a base ball bat to the MFs *!! New definition of STUPID, all the steps taken towards failure leads to failure.
  • jgnatca
    Obviously it is easier to get a degree. Stay away from guns. I suggest you set a goal to cut the first kg. Log all your meals for two weeks and check if you see any progress.