Sedentary or Lightly Active?

Options
I have a general question of not really knowing which one to choose! I'm in nursing school, so most of the time I'm sitting in class or sitting at home and studying. I have clinical 2 times a week though where I'm on my feet for 8-12 hours. The rest of the time I'm usually sitting, but I workout for 1 hour a day at night. Would this be considered sedentary since I sit most of the time? Or would I choose lightly active in the setting since I workout a little every day? Just not quite sure which one to pick.

Thanks!

Replies

• ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering how to manage fluctuations as well. Mon to Fri I am sat at desk all day with an hour commute each way so am sedentary all week. Weekends I'm generally doing chores around the house and so am significantly more active without having an actual activity to log for the extra calorie burn.
  • blyons14
    blyons14 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The most important thing about logging and using MFP is consistency. Choose one or the other, log foods and calories accurately, and check your weight in a week or two. If it is in line with your goal (lose/gain), then keep your settings the same. If it is not, try changing to the other setting and see how it impacts your weight/goal.

Everybody has different caloric needs so what may be a low caloric diet for one may be maintenance for another. You may need to play with it a little bit. But, ultimately consistency will be your best indicator for what works.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    blyons14 wrote: »
    The most important thing about logging and using MFP is consistency. Choose one or the other, log foods and calories accurately, and check your weight in a week or two. If it is in line with your goal (lose/gain), then keep your settings the same. If it is not, try changing to the other setting and see how it impacts your weight/goal.

Everybody has different caloric needs so what may be a low caloric diet for one may be maintenance for another. You may need to play with it a little bit. But, ultimately consistency will be your best indicator for what works.

Yeah I keep myself to the sedentary targets but have realised that I am losing quicker than I might expect due to the fact that I'm probably burning an extra 1000 calories or so on the weekend.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Being a a stay at home mom I chose lightly active because my days vary. I am losing at a pace I am happy with so I leave it. If my weight loss slows down I would change it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Choose sedentary and log your workout.
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all :)
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My advice? Set to sedentary and get a fitness tracker. Then you'll know if you can eat a little more on your busier days.