Pre work outs

Options

Replies

• l4ur4j4d4
    l4ur4j4d4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Whys that then stan? Seems like it’s working to me... so what you on about?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    vmlabute wrote: »
    I don't take pre-workouts. Just Amino energy :)

You'd be much better off with a solid pre workout. BCAAs are pretty worthless.

Indeed, although as a caffeinated flavor base for a DIY preworkout, Amino energy is inexpensive.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I only have something "pre workout" so that I can do my workout to my full strength potential. There is no magic pill or powder that will help pre workout for fat loss.
    I have coffee and a small snack so I have enough energy to really work to my potential during my workout, thats it. No expensive powders or supplements, nothing fake. Only REAL food goes into this temple!
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough, BA and Citrulline are both adequately dosed. Creatine is a bit underdosed, but if you want creatine, then it should be 5g and its own daily supplement. And thr BCAAs seemed to be dosed correctly although, there isnt a benefit to them since MPS and protein turnover need all 12 amino acids.

So compare price to see if you are paying for stuff that should be supplemented separately or dont need (i.e., BCAAs)

Thanks, good advice!

I read carefully all the stuff on examine.com so was looking for a pre-workout with beta-alanine, citrulline, and caffeine. It wasn't able to find a pre-workout with only those 3 ingredients so it makes sense to see if it is cheaper to supplement the BA and citrulline separately. (I may just end up getting it for convenience.)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, BA and Citrulline are both adequately dosed. Creatine is a bit underdosed, but if you want creatine, then it should be 5g and its own daily supplement. And thr BCAAs seemed to be dosed correctly although, there isnt a benefit to them since MPS and protein turnover need all 12 amino acids.

So compare price to see if you are paying for stuff that should be supplemented separately or dont need (i.e., BCAAs)

Thanks, good advice!

I read carefully all the stuff on examine.com so was looking for a pre-workout with beta-alanine, citrulline, and caffeine. It wasn't able to find a pre-workout with only those 3 ingredients so it makes sense to see if it is cheaper to supplement the BA and citrulline separately. (I may just end up getting it for convenience.)

It will almost always be cheaper to supplement what you want individually and separately.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Thanks, good advice!

It will almost always be cheaper to supplement what you want individually and separately.

I guess I need to decide if the extra money is worth the flavoring and convenience... appreciate your help.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Thanks, good advice!

I guess I need to decide if the extra money is worth the flavoring and convenience... appreciate your help.

Look at Legion Pulse or JYM as a back up..
  • psuLemon
    Options
    l4ur4j4d4 wrote: »

Is it working or are you working. Its mainly just caffeine which is giving you a boost. But give yourself credit for the hard work. The fact that you are in a deficit is why you are losing weight.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    vmlabute wrote: »
    I don't take pre-workouts. Just Amino energy :)

You'd be much better off with a solid pre workout. BCAAs are pretty worthless.

Indeed, although as a caffeinated flavor base for a DIY preworkout, Amino energy is inexpensive.

At 160mg and nothing but a propriotary blend of other ingredients (which wont be much since its limited to 5g), id stand by my statement. It looks like its underdosed in terms of caffeine and all other ingredients.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You gotta go with what works for you. Coffee would make me cramp up and/or puke. Tea is OK. For morning runs, just water is fine. Listen to your own body.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I didn't read the replies but im sure there's atleast one of the "WASTE OF MONEY JUST DRINK COFFEE" so before anything if you are on a budget, yea go coffee. If you have the extra money to spend on something like supplements, go for it.

It isn't some weight loss wizardry but I would treat it like an energy drink. What I would do is avoid proprietary blends since its a way for companies to dust in ingredients and state that it contains "x ingredient." For example cellucore pre workout, which has a stupid low amount of creatine but since creatine looks good on the label(teacrine been another one lately)... Getting back to ingredient listings, I would do research on each ingredient examine.com is a great place to find the actual studies/results and the clinical dosing on each ingredient.

As for what I would recommend? I would say do what I said above and just try different ones out. See which one you like the most. If you have a membership to gnc or something ask them if they have any pre workout samples. I personally prefer MTS ruckus just cause the ingredient listing and those ingredients being at clinical dosing. To top it off they use quality ingredients and if you know anything about supplement ingredients... some of those ingredients are quite expensive. Also I like MTS due to their transparency which most supplement companies don't do.

While i don't doubt MTS could be a good company, I personally struggle to understand why they haven't used more the proven supplements (i.e., Citrulline Malate) in there pre workout but rather component a only demonstrated as beneficial by the designer.

For example, outside a crap ton of caffeine, their main ingredient is Trimethylglycine (TMG). While it appears there are some cardio protrective qualitiea the performance aspects are unreliable. To discuss, below is an excerpt from examine.com:

"Finally, betaine has been recommended as a performance enhancing compound, although with quite unreliable results. When taken at 1.25g twice daily, betaine has at times been linked to increased power output (only to fail in other instances) and minor increases in workout volume and endurance (a bit more reliable than power output, but still not a consensus). The overall effect size or how much betaine benefits the subject seem to be quite small, and at this moment in time all studies finding benefit with betaine supplementation have been associated with Danisco (DuPont Nutrition) a producer of betaine."

https://examine.com/supplements/trimethylglycine/

The evidence in Taurine is minimal at best. It has been demonstrated to increase bloodflow in type 1 diabetics to a point of normalizing it tona control group.

L- Tyrosine

This is a very theortical compound which doesn't seem to much promise according to examine.com but they do caution the use as it can have adverse interactions with some medicines.

IMO, not that you are asking, there are much higher quality preworkout drinks on the market than MTS, which actually have ingredients that are tested and proven, like Legion products or maybe JYM.

Ruckus is just my preferred pre workout through trial and error. I like the combination of N-Methyl L-Tyramine HCI, infinergy dicaffeine malate, caffiene anhydrous, and theobromine. While it has a lot of caffeine it doesn't hit you like a ton of bricks as other concentrated pre-workouts do. It ramps up and gives you sustained energy.

It isn't in the same category as jym or legion, its a concentrated pre workout. With its price point being 24.99 should tell you. Jym and legion are both complete pre workouts and MTS also makes a complete pre workout. MTS clash being that pre workout. I also keep certain raw ingredient on hand for days I don't use stims. So for me I don't have the need to buy a complete pre workout.

The studies on some of these ingredients tho:

Fernstrom JD, Fernstrom MH. Tyrosine, phenylalanine, and catecholamine synthesis and function in the brain. J Nutr. 2007;137(6 Suppl 1):1539S-1547S; discussion 1548S.

Deijen JB, Wientjes CJ, Vullinghs HF, Cloin PA, Langefeld JJ. Tyrosine improves cognitive performance and reduces blood pressure in cadets after one week of a combat training course. Brain Res Bull. 1999;48(2):203-209.

Kukovetz WR, Holzmann S, Romanin C. Mechanism of vasodilation by nitrates: role of cyclic GMP. Cardiology. 1987;74 Suppl 1:12-19.

Cosby K, Partovi KS, Crawford JH, et al. Nitrite reduction to nitric oxide by deoxyhemoglobin vasodilates the human circulation. Nat Med. 2003;9(12):1498-1505. doi:10.1038/nm954.

Coles LT, Clifton PM. Effect of beetroot juice on lowering blood pressure in free-living, disease-free adults: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Nutrition Journal. 2012;11:106. doi:10.1186/1475-2891-11-106.

Larsen FJ, Weitzberg E, Lundberg JO, Ekblom B. Effects of dietary nitrate on oxygen cost during exercise. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2007;191(1):59-66. doi:10.1111/j.1748-1716.2007.01713.x

Lansley KE, Winyard PG, Fulford J, et al. Dietary nitrate supplementation reduces the O2 cost of walking and running: a placebo-controlled study. J Appl Physiol. 2011;110(3):591-600. doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.01070.2010.

Pasantes-Morales H, Quesada O, Morán J. Taurine: An Osmolyte in Mammalian Tissues. In: Shaffer S, Lombardini JB, Huxtable RJ, eds. Taurine 3: Cellular and Regulatory Mechanisms. Boston, MA: Springer US; 1998:209-217. doi:10.1007/978-1-4899-0117-0_27.

Warburton DM, Bersellini E, Sweeney E. An evaluation of a caffeinated taurine drink on mood, memory and information processing in healthy volunteers without caffeine abstinence. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2001;158(3):322-328. doi:10.1007/s002130100884.

da Silva LA, Tromm CB, Bom KF, et al. Effects of taurine supplementation following eccentric exercise in young adults. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab = Physiol Appl Nutr Metab. 2014;39(1):101-104. doi:10.1139/apnm-2012-0229.

Reyes T, Shu C, Argumedo R, Nemzer B, Pietrzkowski Z. The Effect of ElevATP on Whole Blood ATP Levels: A Single Dose, Cross over Clinical Study. Vol 1.; 2014.

Joy JM, Vogel RM, Moon JR, et al. Ancient peat and apple extracts supplementation may improve strength and power adaptations in resistance trained men. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2016;16(1):224. doi:10.1186/s12906-016-1222-x

McGovern T, McDevitt E, Wright IS. THEOBROMINE SODIUM SALICYLATE AS A VASODILATOR . Journal of Clinical Investigation. 1936;15(1):11-16.

Evans CS, Bell EA, Johnson ES. N-methyltyramine, a biologically active amine in Acacia seeds. Phytochemistry. 1979;18(12):2022-2023. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(00)82727-2.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You folks realize there is little to zero quality control in these supplements you are taking.

No FDA approval. Zip.

Taking something that makes my heart race and makes me sweat doesn't sound like a good idea. It sounds like a good way to give myself a heart attack or stroke.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    You folks realize there is little to zero quality control in these supplements you are taking.

No FDA approval. Zip.

Taking something that makes my heart race and makes me sweat doesn't sound like a good idea. It sounds like a good way to give myself a heart attack or stroke.

There are independent lab test for many of these. And we get it by now, supplements scare you.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

No FDA approval. Zip.

Just look for products produced in NSF facilities. To manufacture in NSF facilities companies have to do qualitative, quantitative, on the way in, and on the way out testing. If a company has nothing to hide they will make that information public. I personally would never buy a product that isn't manufactured in one of these facilities.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Nutrabio makes a decent PWO. Little low on creatine but they intend for you to stack it with their other products. They fully disclose everything, made in FDA approved facility, and have third party testing. Down side is expensive and they intend for you to stack with their other products. Oh and would say has some stuff that the science is not conclusive yet.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I've been CrossFitting for about 4 months, and just started adding a pre-workout, and creatine. Creatine is cheap, but the brand I buy is SixStar - at WalMart no less. I also bought the SixStar pre-workout, since I figured I'm new at this I didn't want to spend a lot on something. I definitely notice a burst of energy with the pre-workout. I'n no super athlete but I did want to try something. I'm happy with what I'm using - at least for now, and I didn't break the bank buying the SixStar brand.

I would avoid 6 star if at all possible. There's reasons why it's sold for so cheap in walmart. There's no true regulations as to what's in it.

To be honest there are no "true regulations" regarding any supplement mentioned in this thread.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    l4ur4j4d4 wrote: »

And how exactly is it working for You?

By pumping a stimulant into your body suggested by someone making minimum wage with zero degrees? Not being harsh to the people in the shops. Everyone has to work, but being real. That is the reality. That guy pays his bills by selling you anything and everything he can.

You are using energy. Putting you into a caloric deficit causing your body to resort to stores fat and muscle to make up for the decrease in energy. Now that happens regardless of if you sweat or are dry the entire time with a barely raised heart rate.

I pour sweat my entire workout. Yet I'm still gaining fat... Why would that be?
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

No FDA approval. Zip.

There are independent lab test for many of these. And we get it by now, supplements scare you.

They don't scare me but I hate to see people waste money on this junk.

But I get it that I am becoming obnoxious about it.
  • psuLemon
    Options

No FDA approval. Zip.

That is why you go with brands that are known and independently tested for quality. Because there are benefits to several supplements that can improve training, improve recovery and increase volume which can drive greater strength gains and more muscle.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

No FDA approval. Zip.

That is why you go with brands that are known and independently tested for quality. Because there are benefits to several supplements that can improve training, improve recovery and increase volume which can drive greater strength gains and more muscle.

But again the supplement industry is not regulated so there are no recognized standards for quality.