Bloating after eating anything

Options
Fitnessgirl0913
Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Since last Monday (3/12/18) I will wake up in the morning feeling totally fine, stomach is normal but then as soon as I at breakfast I am instantly bloated (maybe 5-10 minutes after) and I stay bloated all day, wake up the next morning fine, then the cycle repeats. I have not changed my diet and I have eaten oatmeal for breakfast everyday for the past year or so (I know that sounds boring but I really enjoy it) so it is not that. My fiber intake has remained the same, it is not near my TOM, I drink enough water, I never go over on sodium, and I have not started any new supplements or vitamins. I am at a loss, I am getting so bloated I can hardly button my pants. It would not big a big deal if it was just a day or two but this has been happening everyday for over a week now. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I know you like oatmeal in the morning, but I would try eating something like fruit or eggs in the morning for a couple of days and see if that makes a difference.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Options
    I had thought of that but I have eaten oatmeal everyday for about a year now and never had this problem, and the bloating lasts all day, it doesn't go away after breakfast.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    A week of bloating? And you have changed nothing? You mean like gassy? Maybe you have a mild case of the stomach flu?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    did you buy a different brand of oatmeal or anything like that? dietary issues can arise at anytime even after eating the same food for an extended period of time
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Options
    A week of bloating? And you have changed nothing? You mean like gassy? Maybe you have a mild case of the stomach flu?

TMI coming your way, yes I have been rather gassy and it has smelled super unpleasant, way more then it should. I have tried taking gasX a few days but that didn't seem to help and it only starts after eating. I have not had any unusual poop habits.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an allergy or food intolerance. Change up foods you are eating and see how that goes.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Do you eat yogurt or anything with probiotics?
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Options
    did you buy a different brand of oatmeal or anything like that? dietary issues can arise at anytime even after eating the same food for an extended period of time

Nope, same brand I always buy. Maybe they changed something in the brand I buy? I mean the only ingredient listed is "rolled Oats" so they didn't add anything or take anything out but maybe how they are processing it is different? I just don't understand why it lasts all day. If it is the oats can oats take that long to digest?
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Options
    Sounds like an allergy or food intolerance. Change up foods you are eating and see how that goes.

Yeah I should probably try switching up the oatmeal at least. I love it but @deannalfisher said an allergy can come on at any time so I guess after a year of eating them I may have developed one.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Options
    Do you eat yogurt or anything with probiotics?

I have eaten yogurt everyday for as long as I can remember as part of my lunch, same brand (I know I am super boring with my food choices lol).
  • L1zardQueen
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Sorry. One last question. Have you been on a round of antibiotics? They can sometimes mess up your gut.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Options
    If you are intolerant to a food can it affect you all day? I did a quick google search and oatmeal takes anywhere from 1-2 hours to digest 9depending on which website you go with) but I am bloated all day.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Options
    Sorry. One last question. Have you been on a round of antibiotics? They can sometimes mess up your gut.
    Nope.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Are you preparing the oats in milk? Toss the container and buy a new one?
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Options
    Are you preparing the oats in milk? Toss the container and buy a new one?

No I am lactose intolerant so I prepare them in water then add some peanut butter and fruit.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Try adding a probiotic in the morning or taking one at night. I tend to bloat a lot throughout the day and adding probiotics helps a lot
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Options
    vmlabute wrote: »
    Try adding a probiotic in the morning or taking one at night. I tend to bloat a lot throughout the day and adding probiotics helps a lot

I have tried those in the past (4 different brands) for IBS, which is mostly under control now and they all gave my liquid diarrhea. I suppose it could be something with the IBS but I have no other symptoms of a flare up and trust me I would know if I did.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If you are intolerant to a food can it affect you all day? I did a quick google search and oatmeal takes anywhere from 1-2 hours to digest 9depending on which website you go with) but I am bloated all day.

I am intolerant to soft cheese or too much heavy cream - I bloat bad and get a sore stomach from too much of those and it lasts around 8 hrs - I hear ya, its uncomfortable. Try an alternative to the milk in those oats, its likely the dairy that's the issue.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Options

I am intolerant to soft cheese or too much heavy cream - I bloat bad and get a sore stomach from too much of those and it lasts around 8 hrs - I hear ya, its uncomfortable. Try an alternative to the milk in those oats, its likely the dairy that's the issue.

I am not adding milk to my oats, I make them with water, but good to know that an allergy can affect you all day.