Bloating after eating anything

Replies

• GirlVersusFat
    GirlVersusFat Posts: 31 Member
    When I get bloated it lasts a couple of days, even though I've never been tested I'm pretty sure I have a gluten and dairy intolerance, I still eat them both just at a minimum, but I wasn't always like this it seems to start after I lost most of my weight. I just messed around with different food to see what caused to bloat maybe try leaving off the oats and yogurt to see what happens.

You can develop allergies you've never had before specifically lactose intolerance, maybe you should get tested.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Since last Monday (3/12/18) I will wake up in the morning feeling totally fine, stomach is normal but then as soon as I at breakfast I am instantly bloated (maybe 5-10 minutes after) and I stay bloated all day, wake up the next morning fine, then the cycle repeats. I have not changed my diet and I have eaten oatmeal for breakfast everyday for the past year or so (I know that sounds boring but I really enjoy it) so it is not that. My fiber intake has remained the same, it is not near my TOM, I drink enough water, I never go over on sodium, and I have not started any new supplements or vitamins. I am at a loss, I am getting so bloated I can hardly button my pants. It would not big a big deal if it was just a day or two but this has been happening everyday for over a week now. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Could you be constipated?
  • 1houndgal
    I am thinking it wouldn't hurt to see your doctor about the bloating.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    1houndgal wrote: »
    Since last Monday (3/12/18) I will wake up in the morning feeling totally fine, stomach is normal but then as soon as I at breakfast I am instantly bloated (maybe 5-10 minutes after) and I stay bloated all day, wake up the next morning fine, then the cycle repeats. I have not changed my diet and I have eaten oatmeal for breakfast everyday for the past year or so (I know that sounds boring but I really enjoy it) so it is not that. My fiber intake has remained the same, it is not near my TOM, I drink enough water, I never go over on sodium, and I have not started any new supplements or vitamins. I am at a loss, I am getting so bloated I can hardly button my pants. It would not big a big deal if it was just a day or two but this has been happening everyday for over a week now. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Could you be constipated?

Nope, I went multiple times yesterday and have already gone once today.
  • ejg1010
    ejg1010 Posts: 48 Member
    I'm not a doctor but I think I'm right in saying that you can develop an allergy at any time of life.

Why don't you try not eating oatmeal for a few days and see what happens?
  • 1houndgal
    If you are intolerant to a food can it affect you all day? I did a quick google search and oatmeal takes anywhere from 1-2 hours to digest 9depending on which website you go with) but I am bloated all day.

Try brown rice for a break. It doesn't ferment in your gut. It is a low residue food. Maybe try the brat diet.

I think though you should see your doctor since the bloating is recent onset.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    I appreciate all of your replies! This is why MFP is so great, many things were presented to me I did not think of. I will try eliminating oatmeal for the rest of the week at least. I will start there and see how things progress, if that doesn't help I think a trip to my doctor will be in order. Now the question is what have for breakfast? I don't really like eggs and am not a big meat eater, I LOVE peanut butter for breakfast, maybe a good ole PB&J sandwich? If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    It may be time for you to seek proper medical advice because its in excess of two weeks you've been feeling this way.

With your past history of IBS you could try digestive microbes rather than the prebiotics. I think prebiotics feed the microbes you have. You may have developed an imbalance for some reason which could be associated with a different presentation of your IBS microbes could help. If you can, find something simple not full of flavours and the like because these can be off putting. Some microbes are inclined to make histamine which I think could cause bloating. I needed to avoid these species. Doing a search histamine free or similar should reveal some good products though I cling to one.

Thinking of allergies and intolerances. Some who react to glutein take 6 months and more of total elimination before they achieve any relief and with one slip they can wait the 6 months and more to feel well again. It is possible the oats you now have may have been milled in a mill which also grinds wheat. Oats are not supposed to be as reactive as wheat but contamination could do it.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    edited March 2018
    If you are intolerant to a food can it affect you all day? I did a quick google search and oatmeal takes anywhere from 1-2 hours to digest 9depending on which website you go with) but I am bloated all day.

If you're intolerant, it means you can't digest it correctly, which could leave it undigested for longer than that 1-2 hours. You also mention that you add peanut butter and fruit to the oatmeal. The oil in the peanut butter (or the peanuts itself) could also be causing a problem, as could the fruit.

EDIT: It often means you can't digest it correctly. There could be other reasons for intolerance as well.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »

If you're intolerant, it means you can't digest it correctly, which could leave it undigested for longer than that 1-2 hours. You also mention that you add peanut butter and fruit to the oatmeal. The oil in the peanut butter (or the peanuts itself) could also be causing a problem, as could the fruit.

Thanks for the info on allergies! I don't suspect it is the peanut butter or fruit because sometimes I will have those but some of the days last week I had the oatmeal plain with the same side affects.
  • Kelleygirl79
    Kelleygirl79 Posts: 71 Member
    I used to get occasional, painful bloat -- especially after a fatty meal or with red wine. Then it became much more frequent, like after after my quinoa salad at lunch that I eat every single day (alot of fiber). I've finally become desperate because the bloating had become an every day event -- very painful, uncomfortable, embarrassing and couldn't button my pants! This has become a serious problem over the past 6 months or so.

I did some research and found some high quality probiotic specifically for digestive problems. BTW they are NOT inexpensive but the doctors in my family (brother, BIL and sisters) insisted there are tons of cheap probiotic knock offs and to find a high quality enzyme.

It has taken two weeks on these and I'm thrilled to say WOW. I can't believe how much these are finally helping me (I had almost given up but I'm impatient). In fact yesterday I had 1 lb of broccoli and 2 Quest bars -- both of which would have killed me before and I can't believe I have NO GAS NO PAIN. It's like a miracle. I'm so happy!!! Worth every dime! Here's what I got:
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    So you have IBS ? Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason with it and I 've experienced what you are many times without any particular reason .

I love oats too and as soluble fibre thats something that should be a "safe food " but I'll tell you I have developed intolerance to foods I had my whole life.

I could eat pasta dish one day and be absolutely fine have it few weeks later and end up with bloated tummy ,windy or stomach cramps .

Other than drinking lots of water ,probiotics and drinking lots of mint and fennel tea I can't advise anything helpful as it is so individual.

I am lactose intolerant too . Maybe start a food diary and you ll be able to pick up a pattern but don't feel disheartened if you can't I 've had it for years and manage it fine most of time but still have random flare ups occasionally.

Hope you feel better soon x
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    time to implement low fodmap for a month or so and see if it helps, imo
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    My daughter was having issues like that. She thought she was constipated. Her stomach would get like that after eating sugar or something that wasn't good for her. This went on for two weeks. She ended up having to have gallbladder surgery. It may be a good idea to see the doctor.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member

have you tried taking beano with your oatmeal? I had a slightly different problem where I stopped eating oatmeal and started up again eating in the morning and felt severely bloated afterwards. I started taking beano with oatmeal and it definitely helped and eventually I stopped taking it and I don't need it anymore......
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Celiac and/or lactose intolerance has some of those symptoms. It might be worthwhile to see your PC or a gastroenterologist.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    edited March 2018
    I appreciate all of your replies! This is why MFP is so great, many things were presented to me I did not think of. I will try eliminating oatmeal for the rest of the week at least. I will start there and see how things progress, if that doesn't help I think a trip to my doctor will be in order. Now the question is what have for breakfast? I don't really like eggs and am not a big meat eater, I LOVE peanut butter for breakfast, maybe a good ole PB&J sandwich? If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them!

You could try a different grain hot cereal (wheat like cream of wheat or Ralston or rice like cream of rice or rice farina, or rye, or a multigrain if you can find one that doesn't have oats). But a PB&J sandwich is a perfectly good choice. I won't suggest yogurt since you're already having that for lunch. Cottage cheese? Fruit, cheese, toast or a small pastry and coffee? You can always think way outside the breakfast box and have leftovers from last night's dinner. Beans, cheese, and a tortilla.

** ETA: Just realized that peanutbutter is part of your current breakfast. I think I would eliminate any foods that you're currently eating at breakfast, since that's when the problem occurs. If the problem goes away, reintroduce them one at a time so you can identify the trigger, if there is one.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    I would see a doctor. We can't really help you much. It could be a lot of different reasons.