Keto and IF

Options
Who has any experience with this? My boyfriend and I are finding out that it's been around for much longer than we believed, but we are starting to transition into this type of lifestyle. He's already begun IF and I'm working my way off carbs and upping my protein and fat. What has worked for you? What kind of obstacles have you run into? How have you gotten through those things?

Replies

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't do keto, because I don't need to cut out carbs, but I did do Intermittent fasting when I used to cut (aka fat loss phase). I thought it was just more enjoyable eating 2-3 larger meals over having 5-6 small meals spread out. It was basically a personal preference. In terms of fat loss, it was like any other caloric deficit diet, I lost at my usual rate regardless if I did it with IF or not. In the end, it all comes down to what we prefer. I won't hesitate to use IF again on my next cut simply because that's my favorite way to schedule my meals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I think combining those could be really dangeorus. Keto itself is already a not so great diet and very restrictive. But IF works because you can eat carbs and however you want when you are in your eating phases. You are going to have so little energy it could be really dangeorus. Carbs aren't a problem for most people its the amount they eat. So unless you have real special circumstances I'd recommend against keto.

Not true, keto and IF actually go hand-in-hand for many people. Keto is excellent for controlling hungry and stabilizing blood sugar, so it makes fasting much, much easier. And actually, combining the two should result in INCREASED energy and mental clarity. At least, it does for many people.

I agree that carbs are not a problem for 99% of people, and keto can be unnecessary and is becoming a fad... but I don't believe that IF + Keto is dangerous in any way for most people.

Every "diet" does this... as well as improved skin quality and much more. It's not necessarily the diet, its the fact that people start to believe they can do it, plus eat more nutrient dense foods. I laugh a little every time I see this, because this is one of those trendy phrases with Keto, along with fat burning.

I did IF for awhile and it did nothing but made me hungry. And ever time I have tried to lower carbs, it's the same result.
  • Richardlassiter
    Richardlassiter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with toxikon. Keto and IF go hand in hand. The thing I love about keto is that I don't get hungry. At least not the gnawing hunger driven by carbs. As a matter of fact, it is not difficult to skip a meal. I think the best advice is to give it a try. If it works for you, great! If not, then try something else.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I think combining those could be really dangeorus. Keto itself is already a not so great diet and very restrictive. But IF works because you can eat carbs and however you want when you are in your eating phases. You are going to have so little energy it could be really dangeorus. Carbs aren't a problem for most people its the amount they eat. So unless you have real special circumstances I'd recommend against keto.

Not true, keto and IF actually go hand-in-hand for many people. Keto is excellent for controlling hungry and stabilizing blood sugar, so it makes fasting much, much easier. And actually, combining the two should result in INCREASED energy and mental clarity. At least, it does for many people.

I agree that carbs are not a problem for 99% of people, and keto can be unnecessary and is becoming a fad... but I don't believe that IF + Keto is dangerous in any way for most people.

Every "diet" does this... as well as improved skin quality and much more. It's not necessarily the diet, its the fact that people start to believe they can do it, plus eat more nutrient dense foods. I laugh a little every time I see this, because this is one of those trendy phrases with Keto, along with fat burning.

I did IF for awhile and it did nothing but made me hungry. And ever time I have tried to lower carbs, it's the same result.

I dunno, I was bouncing off the walls with energy and required much less sleep to feel alert all day when I stuck to keto. The difference was definitely noticeable. I don't do keto anymore but I definitely miss that aspect. I haven't experienced the same with plain ol' CICO.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I dunno, I was bouncing off the walls with energy and required much less sleep to feel alert all day when I stuck to keto. The difference was definitely noticeable. I don't do keto anymore but I definitely miss that aspect. I haven't experienced the same with plain ol' CICO.

There may be some individual differences between people, especially those with IR, but I don't think there really is any evidence to support those claims.

ETA: I consume 250 to 300g of carbs a day, including highly processed sugars, and I never has issues with mental clarify, sugar crashes or whatever. And I have a 2 year old with endless energy and a 3 month old.

ETA2: Also, I am not trying to down play the benefits you are receiving.

No, I totally understand and appreciate skepticism. Heck, I don't even do keto anymore, but I can't deny the (anecdotal) benefits I experienced. :)

Here's a promising article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4112040/

Here's a few interesting tidbits:
    Eleven children continued with the KD and were also evaluated after 12 months. KD induced a significant decrease in total sleep (p = 0.05) and total night sleep (p = 0.006). Slow wave sleep was preserved, rapid eye movement (REM) sleep increased (p = 0.01), sleep stage 2 decreased (p = 0.004), and sleep stage 1 was unchanged. Attention behavior was found to be improved significantly (p = 0.003). Despite the reduction of total amount of sleep time, there was a strong correlation between increased REM sleep and improvement in QOL, suggesting that the quality of sleep was improved with the KD (Spearman r = 0.6, p = 0.01). Eleven children continued with the KD and were evaluated after 12 months. They showed a significant decrease in daytime sleep (p = 0.01) and a further increase in REM sleep (p = 0.06). Seizure frequency (p = 0.001, p = 0.003), seizure severity (p < 0.001, p = 0.005), and QOL (p < 0.001, p = 0.005) were significantly improved at both 3 and 12 months of KD treatment. In this study, it was observed that KD decreases total sleep, total night sleep, and daytime sleep, but improves sleep quality in children with therapy-resistant epilepsy.

---

Although no prospective studies of developmental or behavioral outcomes have been performed so far, anecdotal evidence and parental report measures have indicated that children treated with the KD show increased alertness and better cognitive functioning, as well as improved behavior (Kinsman et al., 1992; Nordli et al., 2001; Pulsifer et al., 2001).

---

At the present time our understanding of the effect of ketosis on behavior and cognition is still rudimentary, despite the clear reproducibility of its therapeutic efficacy. While the available literature suggests the ability of the KD to improve neuronal health and cognition, its precise mechanism(s) of action and its applicability is limited for multiple reasons. The lack of diverse, double-blind randomized control studies that accurately measure the effect of the KD and its effect on cognitive function is certainly a crucial factor.

So yeah... basically, there's a whole lot of anecdotal stuff out there, but scientists still aren't super sure how it works. I do hope some larger studies come out!
  • psuLemon
    Options

There may be some individual differences between people, especially those with IR, but I don't think there really is any evidence to support those claims.

ETA: I consume 250 to 300g of carbs a day, including highly processed sugars, and I never has issues with mental clarify, sugar crashes or whatever. And I have a 2 year old with endless energy and a 3 month old.

ETA2: Also, I am not trying to down play the benefits you are receiving.

No, I totally understand and appreciate skepticism. Heck, I don't even do keto anymore, but I can't deny the (anecdotal) benefits I experienced. :)

Here's a promising article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4112040/

Here's a few interesting tidbits:
    Eleven children continued with the KD and were also evaluated after 12 months. KD induced a significant decrease in total sleep (p = 0.05) and total night sleep (p = 0.006). Slow wave sleep was preserved, rapid eye movement (REM) sleep increased (p = 0.01), sleep stage 2 decreased (p = 0.004), and sleep stage 1 was unchanged. Attention behavior was found to be improved significantly (p = 0.003). Despite the reduction of total amount of sleep time, there was a strong correlation between increased REM sleep and improvement in QOL, suggesting that the quality of sleep was improved with the KD (Spearman r = 0.6, p = 0.01). Eleven children continued with the KD and were evaluated after 12 months. They showed a significant decrease in daytime sleep (p = 0.01) and a further increase in REM sleep (p = 0.06). Seizure frequency (p = 0.001, p = 0.003), seizure severity (p < 0.001, p = 0.005), and QOL (p < 0.001, p = 0.005) were significantly improved at both 3 and 12 months of KD treatment. In this study, it was observed that KD decreases total sleep, total night sleep, and daytime sleep, but improves sleep quality in children with therapy-resistant epilepsy.

---

Although no prospective studies of developmental or behavioral outcomes have been performed so far, anecdotal evidence and parental report measures have indicated that children treated with the KD show increased alertness and better cognitive functioning, as well as improved behavior (Kinsman et al., 1992; Nordli et al., 2001; Pulsifer et al., 2001).

---

At the present time our understanding of the effect of ketosis on behavior and cognition is still rudimentary, despite the clear reproducibility of its therapeutic efficacy. While the available literature suggests the ability of the KD to improve neuronal health and cognition, its precise mechanism(s) of action and its applicability is limited for multiple reasons. The lack of diverse, double-blind randomized control studies that accurately measure the effect of the KD and its effect on cognitive function is certainly a crucial factor.

So yeah... basically, there's a whole lot of anecdotal stuff out there, but scientists still aren't super sure how it works. I do hope some larger studies come out!

I have seen a lot of these preliminary testing, but a lot of times they haven't baseline it against other diets or a more nutritious diet. Often what happens is taking people off a SAD style diet and throwing them on a highly nutrient dense KD. It's the same thing that happens when people first go Vegan, Paleo, Mediterranean, etc..

Ultimately, if a diet makes you feel good, then by all means, especially if it encourages you to eat more nutrient dense foods and gets you to exercise.
  • kikina
    kikina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Looking to join a Keto group is this it?
  • balvis3919
    balvis3919 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ive been keto for years. I fasted for a while and loved it and am trying to get back into it. I start slow by just pushing breakfast a couple hours the first few days. I used to eat breakfast at 8am, lunch at 12, snack at 3 and dinner at 6pm. i then pushed breakfast to 10am, lunch to 1:30 and dinner to 6pm. Cutting out snacks. Then after a week i pushed breakfast to 12, did a small snack or lunch at 3 and dinner at 6. Eventually i got breakfast/lunch to 2pm and dinner at 6. I didnt eat the rest of the day unless i just had to have a snack around 4. I loved it!! I still got all my calories in that were needed, was not hungry in the mornings. Only thing i had in the morning was a 40cal coffee. Lol u can friend me if u like.
  • getsweaty123go
    getsweaty123go Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have also tried keto and it worked for me but every time I went back to carbs (which is inevitable) I gained everything I lost and some! Like someone else said, don't let people put you off trying new things. Different things work for different people. I just started IF 16:8 and am AMAZED. I downloaded the free BodyFast app and it really helps too. I have lost 5lbs in a week and without dieting but just sticking to eating from 12pm-8pm. I am hungry a little in the morning because I have a super active job but it's only a couple hours of discomfort and I just can't believe I don't have to really diet.. I had a bottle of wine yesterday (experimentally to see if it affects my weightloss like it does on every other diet), but still stopped at 8pm, had a little buzz for the night, switched to herbal tea, didn't get too tipsy or hungover and still lost weight. Awesome!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    kristib12 wrote: »
    I have also tried keto and it worked for me but every time I went back to carbs (which is inevitable) I gained everything I lost and some! Like someone else said, don't let people put you off trying new things. Different things work for different people. I just started IF 16:8 and am AMAZED. I downloaded the free BodyFast app and it really helps too. I have lost 5lbs in a week and without dieting but just sticking to eating from 12pm-8pm. I am hungry a little in the morning because I have a super active job but it's only a couple hours of discomfort and I just can't believe I don't have to really diet.. I had a bottle of wine yesterday (experimentally to see if it affects my weightloss like it does on every other diet), but still stopped at 8pm, had a little buzz for the night, switched to herbal tea, didn't get too tipsy or hungover and still lost weight. Awesome!!

if you lost weight its because you are eating in a deficit. even if you dont think you are dieting your body is still counting calories. and going low carb/keto causes water weight loss and your glycogen stores are depleted so most weight lost at first its water weight. I have almost always done 16:8 fasting because Im not a breakfast kind of person. I still gained weight eating more calories than my body needed fasting. I even stopped fasting for awhile to see if there would be a difference. there wasnt.

I also tried keto for awhile. same thing I lost a lot of water weight but the weight loss wasnt any better and I was in a deficit. in fact for me keto made me feel like I was dying 2 months in(was not keto flu). I found out I have a genetic defect that makes it to where I cannot process fats and cholesterol efficiently.

I am back to fasting and been off keto for over 2 years and still losing weight due to being in a deficit. I dont lose anymore weight fasting as opposed to not fasting. IF is jut a window of time in which you eat your calories. the reason it works so well for some is because it helps them to adhere to their deficit. you can still gain weight doing keto and IF if you eat more than your body needs.Im not saying not to do keto,anyone can try it the same with IF. but dont expect something miraculous to happen like being able to eat as much as you want (meaning more than your body burns and still able to lose weight) . keto is sustainable for some but not everyone, same with other ways of eating.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    31shines wrote: »
    I tried cico for awhile with not much luck. I don't do keto but I do low carb try to stay under 50 grams a day and I do IF. I've lost 19 pounds in a month and a half. Last week I even did my first 48 hour water fast. I never thought I could do that. I'm a diabetic and have been reading a lot about how this helps Reverse it. Good luck!

All diets are CICO. CICO is basic energy balance. CICO should not be confused with just eating a bunch of crap food and not being able to sustain a diet or hit calorie levels. And it should be confused with calorie counting.
  • Ephesian432
    Ephesian432 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If keto (or IF) works for YOU and improves YOUR health -- keep at it!!! You got this, just listen to your body and give your body what YOU need, not what others say you need (I've made that mistake!)

You have to do what works for you! I'm sure you've heard that a million times. But it's true.
    Keto isn't for everyone. But it works wonders for those with insulin resistance, diabetes, PCOS, endometriosis, epilepsy, and more.

I adhere to a ketogenic way of eating (it's a lifestyle, not a diet) because it's best for my health, personally. I have energy for my workouts, and I eat a larger amount of carbs than usual once a week for my thyroid health (I have hypothyroidism.) That is the obstacle that I ran into --my thyroid crashing. So to overcome that obstacle I have a larger amount of carbs every once in a while, and I'm good to go!

I tried IF years ago and it's not for me, ran into adrenal issues. Then recently realized I was inadvertently doing IF by simply eating when I was hungry. Wasn't hungry in the morning, didn't eat. Didn't eat until 2 pm the other day, I just wasn't hungry. Today I ate at 9 am. Just listen to your body.

I can't stray from a ketogenic lifestyle even if I wanted to, because if I did then I would have to go back on my seizure medication, which I hate. It also minimizes my joint inflammation from RA, and does so many other good things for my health (no more PCOS, no longer pre-diabetic, and so on). For me keto isnt dangerous, or a fad. It's the best thing for my health.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    I don't do keto, because I don't need to cut out carbs, but I did do Intermittent fasting when I used to cut (aka fat loss phase). I thought it was just more enjoyable eating 2-3 larger meals over having 5-6 small meals spread out. It was basically a personal preference. In terms of fat loss, it was like any other caloric deficit diet, I lost at my usual rate regardless if I did it with IF or not. In the end, it all comes down to what we prefer. I won't hesitate to use IF again on my next cut simply because that's my favorite way to schedule my meals.

^^^ My experience as well...