If type 2 diabetic, is it okay to eat a sugary "cheat-meal" once a week (i.e. McDonald's McFlurry)?

Let's say for the rest of the week, the diet is on point and healthy (low carbs, high protein, lots of veggies, etc), and the diabetic is exercising regularly. Is it okay to have one "cheat meal" per week? For example, a McDonald's Mcflurry, or a can of soda, or white rice/pasta,, etc just once a week as a "reward"?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    While I don't believe in "cheats" (I either consume it or I don't), I don't see the problem as long as it doesn't affect your blood sugar horribly. My dad has been diabetic for 21 years and still has rice/pasta regularly.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I’m going to say no to the McFlurry and the sugar soda. If you don’t believe me, test two hours after the “reward”.

This. If you want to find out if it's "OK", check your blood sugar two hours after and see what it does.

I'm a type 1, and I know I wouldn't want to deal with the bolusing to make that amount of sugar work -- liquid sugar always hits me hard and fast -- but other people may be more relaxed than I am.

Rice and pasta, sure. But that's because they're pretty easy to carb count for, and I'm type 1, so the insulin matching is on me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I’m going to say no to the McFlurry and the sugar soda. If you don’t believe me, test two hours after the “reward”. The sleepy feeling of syrup for blood is no reward to me.

I could doctor the rice with a creamy curry and steamed spinach and I’m betting the blood sugars would stay just fine.

If you are missing sweet, stick to a piece of fruit or an artificial sweetener.

Over a decade type 2 and I had no nerve damage in my eyes. Continued health was my reward.

I agree. It's probably a bad idea. Testing repeatedly the next 24 hours after a sugary binge will reflect that.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    The thing about chronic conditions is that the doctor can’t be around for daily routine decisions. Diabetics must be their own best advocates.

Word
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    My brother is T1 since birth and he eat both pasta/rice and have a cheat day were he eats pretty much whatever he wants and it works just fine. Only thing i would recommend to skip is the sugary soda.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I would say probably not. if you didnt have diabetes that would be one thing. but I dont think I would want to risk the after effects of eating said mc flurry if I was a type 2.a can of soda would be ok if its diet and the artificial sweeteners dont cause you any issues(for some people it can). as for the pasta maybe if you have a small serving balanced out with some protein and fat you MAY be ok. but its up to you if you want to take a possible risk or not and have to deal with the consequences later.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    What happens to your blood sugar? Next day and A1C?

My husband is very loose on his diet. He eats ice cream and cookies, potatoes and rice. He has been type 2 diabetic for 15 years or so. He takes Metformin which keeps his blood sugar levels quite stable. Morning test after eating dessert he is usually right where he is supposed to be. His A1C is always good. He may be doing long term damage to his body, but he considers it worth the risk. I doubt his doctor would agree.
  • freespirit6315
    freespirit6315 Posts: 119 Member
    You are right soda and all that sugar it's not good for you it's not nutritious it is empty calories.
    I'm diabetic and I've been having one or two sodas a month sometimes every other month but I'm going to make a commitment today you hear me cuz I really love soda lol this day forward I'm going to do my best to never touch another soda I drink water most of the time now and every once in a while Little tea. But I'll try from now on nothing ever touch it again. I really want to be healthy not just to lose the weight but to be totally healthy. I wish you the best in ,with your diabetes and trying to get everything under control.