Really 949 exercise points for walking?

Options

Replies

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week is burning 1000 more calories than you eat, every day.
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You can enable negative adjustments. That will take Calories away when you're less active.
    There is nothing wrong with leaving things at sedentary and eating (a good part of your) of your adjustment.

The approximation goes somewhere along the lines of:

positive adjustments from sedentary starting at 3500/4000 steps
    positive adjustment from lightly active starting at 7500/8000 steps
    positive adjustment from active starting at 11500/12500 steps
    positive adjustments from very active starting at 15000/16000 steps (I've seen positive adjustments start as early as 12500 and as late as 16500 depending on how the steps are getting generated)

I do feel a bit like a hamster with a big negative adjustment to start the day. On the other hand I do get "pushed" to get going if I am slacking off and the negative adjustment is staring at me and saying there's no calories left for dinner ;-)

If you take a lot of steps early in the morning and in a short period of time, this isn’t necessarily true. I’m set to active and start getting a positive adjustment around 3500 steps (or like 8:30)
  • leahdp68
    leahdp68 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    leahdp68 wrote: »
    Thanks. I started in Jan and lost 20lbs fairly easy, plateued then lost 5 more and I am stalled again. I got the Fitbit in mid February. I am not supposed to count calories with Naturally Slim but track what you eat. I think I am analyzing everything because of the stall. I think because I am heavy my Fitbit thinks I am getting a really good workout when I am really just walking.

If you're not supposed to be counting calories ... what's the point of tracking how many calories MFP and/or your FitBit think you should eat? And if you're not counting calories ... how do you know you would need to eat another 1500 calories to meet adjusted goal that MFP and your FitBit are telling you? And how would you know that your dinner isn't 1500 calories?

I guess I don't understand what you're doing on a calorie-counting website if your approach is not to count calories. And even if you're only here to "track what you eat," why are you paying attention to the calories and worrying about the calories your FitBit and MFP are saying you should eat?

I was doing it because it says to be mindful of what you eat and to do this by doing this by writing down what you eat not the calories but I like MFP to track my food. I can't help but notice when it is right there. And since I was stalled I was wondering why so I looked further into my calorie intake etc. Which brought upon my question. I am trying to find what works for me that was not highly restrictive like low carb. With naturally slim I noticed my calories are deficient but I am totally satisfied and not obsessing about what I can't have because nothing is off limits.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the advice you got from PAV but just wanted to add that I too was set at Sedentary when I first started MFP because I had a desk job, and about 6 months into my weight loss I got a a FitBit. At that point I was averaging 8-10 k steps a day and getting big adjustments - I got good advice on these boards that that’s not Sedentary. So I changed to lightly active, got a higher calorie target to start with and my adjustments went down. Now averaging 12-15k steps a day and am set at active, with negative adjustments enabled, and I don’t see calories added to my day unless I get above 8k steps.

I lost all my weight and am currently maintaining by trusting and eating back those calorie adjustments, It’s a true up of what MFP thinks you’d burn based on the entries you made during set up, and what FitBit says you actually burn from being on your body and with you as you do the activities. I trust the thing that’s on me more than the system that just spit out numbers based on my self reported stats.

Also curious, if the program you’re following doesn’t have you track your calorie intake, then why are you concerned about the size of your exercise adjustment based on your calories out? What are you planning on doing with that info if you aren’t measuring your CI to begin with?
  • leahdp68
    Options
    I am 5'4.5 ft and weigh 280
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4.5 ft and weigh 280

Ok so it seems about right to me for 11k steps.
  • leahdp68
    Options
    What deficit is 2lbs a week?

2 pounds a week = a deficit of 7,000 calories for that week

So this means MFP has me at 7000 calorie deficit for the week if I choose 2lbs loss a week, correct?
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    What deficit is 2lbs a week?

2 pounds a week = a deficit of 7,000 calories for that week

So this means MFP has me at 7000 calorie deficit for the week if I choose 2lbs loss a week, correct?

Yup. Or another way of putting it, a 1000 calorie deficit for the day.
  • leahdp68
    Options
    Thanks. I started in Jan and lost 20lbs fairly easy, plateued then lost 5 more and I am stalled again. I got the Fitbit in mid February. I am not supposed to count calories with Naturally Slim but track what you eat. I think I am analyzing everything because of the stall. I think because I am heavy my Fitbit thinks I am getting a really good workout when I am really just walking.

If you're not supposed to be counting calories ... what's the point of tracking how many calories MFP and/or your FitBit think you should eat? And if you're not counting calories ... how do you know you would need to eat another 1500 calories to meet adjusted goal that MFP and your FitBit are telling you? And how would you know that your dinner isn't 1500 calories?

I guess I don't understand what you're doing on a calorie-counting website if your approach is not to count calories. And even if you're only here to "track what you eat," why are you paying attention to the calories and worrying about the calories your FitBit and MFP are saying you should eat?

I was doing it because it says to be mindful of what you eat and to do this by doing this by writing down what you eat not the calories but I like MFP to track my food. I can't help but notice when it is right there. And since I was stalled I was wondering why so I looked further into my calorie intake etc. Which brought upon my question. I am trying to find what works for me that was not highly restrictive like low carb. With naturally slim I noticed my calories are deficient but I am totally satisfied and not obsessing about what I can't have because nothing is off limits.

OK. It just seems like you started one plan (Naturally Slim) and then basically broke one of its fundamental rules (don't count calories), and now you're trying to follow MFP, but you're resisting following it the way it's meant to be done (eat back your exercise calories), and you got a FitBit, but you don't want to believe what it's telling you about your calorie burns.

I think you should give whatever you're going to do a fair chance to work the way it's meant to work. I'm not advocating for one approach over another. I just think if you're going to do X, do X, at least long enough to feel like you've given it a fair chance to see if it works for you.

But all that said, if you really have stalled, your calories are not deficient. In your tracking, have you been weighing your food?

I dont weigh but I measure, usually cups, tbsp etc. Or I scan the box from the ingredients or the actuall food like say a yogurt. Number of strawberries, size of apple, cups of rice etc. But like you said I am mixing 2 ways of eating and I will try to go back to Naturally slim and not count my calories. Just my water and use mfp if I want to make a choice of which food is a healthier choice and to track my weight.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Record your weight on fitbit.com and connect fitbit.com to trendweight.com and start looking at your weight Trend as your weight.

It will really help with a bunch of fluctuations that are absolutely natural and normal and it is also helpful to see when your trend is getting off track first sustained length of time as that can get you to adjust your eating and moving to compensate. As it should.
  • leahdp68
    Options
    Record your weight on fitbit.com and connect fitbit.com to trendweight.com and start looking at your weight Trend as your weight.

It will really help with a bunch of fluctuations that are absolutely natural and normal and it is also helpful to see when your trend is getting off track first sustained length of time as that can get you to adjust your eating and moving to compensate. As it should.

It appears I need a wifi scale, 2 types in particular, to use trendweight.com
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

It appears I need a wifi scale, 2 types in particular, to use trendweight.com
    You don't.
    You connect your fitbit.com account to trendweight.com (by giving the appropriate permissions to the apps).
    You enter your weight in fitbit's web page or phone app using the weigh tile or https://www.fitbit.com/weight

Trendweight automa-gically (or with a bit of a kick in the pants https://trendweight.com/settings/, very bottom of screen, "resync all settings") imports those weigh ins.
    (of note that you don't need to own a fitbit device to have a fitbit account or their phone app).
  • leahdp68
    Options
    Thank you very much PAV8888 for your help. It is very much appreciated.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

OK. It just seems like you started one plan (Naturally Slim) and then basically broke one of its fundamental rules (don't count calories), and now you're trying to follow MFP, but you're resisting following it the way it's meant to be done (eat back your exercise calories), and you got a FitBit, but you don't want to believe what it's telling you about your calorie burns.

I think you should give whatever you're going to do a fair chance to work the way it's meant to work. I'm not advocating for one approach over another. I just think if you're going to do X, do X, at least long enough to feel like you've given it a fair chance to see if it works for you.

But all that said, if you really have stalled, your calories are not deficient. In your tracking, have you been weighing your food?

I dont weigh but I measure, usually cups, tbsp etc. Or I scan the box from the ingredients or the actuall food like say a yogurt. Number of strawberries, size of apple, cups of rice etc. But like you said I am mixing 2 ways of eating and I will try to go back to Naturally slim and not count my calories. Just my water and use mfp if I want to make a choice of which food is a healthier choice and to track my weight.

I understand this :). I am doing Precision Nutrition, which doesn't recommend counting calories. But I do it anyway while I am learning the other habits.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I googled how far is 12000 steps.

According to this article, it's ~ 6 miles

https://www.livestrong.com/article/355633-calories-burned-in-12-000-steps/

The formula for calories burned for walking is weight * miles * .3. So

280 * 6 * .3 = ~500 calories.

I'm going to say the fitbit calc is a bit high. In fact, this assumes an average stride length and I'm not sure if you would go 6 miles in the day.

If I've made a mistake, someone can correct but ~950 does sound high to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I routinely get 15K -17K daily with my fitbit, but never get that kind of calorie burn.
    Maybe it will get better with long term use. I have had a fitbit for 5 years.

It depends on what you told MFP your activity level is. Also on height and weight and probably whether the Fitbit uses heart rate.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I'm going to say the fitbit calc is a bit high. In fact, this assumes an average stride length and I'm not sure if you would go 6 miles in the day.

It actually is not just the steps taken (or mileage). The adjustment it makes has more to do with overall activity throughout the entire day. It also takes into account your activity level setting in MFP. I keep mine at sedentary, but I am not sedentary. So my adjustments are larger to account for this on days I do a lot of steps. Someone else can probably explain this better :).
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

But the exercise adjustment isn’t just from the 12000steps walked. It’s the total of how much the user burned, all day, minus what MFP thinks they would burn, based on stats and activity level.

In a way, that makes it worse. If 3500 is sedentary, then the adjustment should be based on 12000 - 3500. Unless there are other activities not showing up as steps, I do think the adjustment as given is high.