No more soda

Options

Replies

• ipmac22
    ipmac22 Posts: 74 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Sarcasm is unnecessary. The acid in the Diet Coke attacks the tooth enamel and gums. Bacteria don't know or care if your drink is sweetened with sugar or an artificial sweetening substance. Either way the bacteria will happily take advantage of the weakness in teeth and gums. Given a nice cavity or gap in the gums that makes brushing more difficult, bacteria will thrive leading to decay and/or gingivitis. This information came from my dentist.

My comments regarding withdrawal symptoms are based on personal experience.

Weird! I always have great check ups with my dentist and I drink diet soda almost everyday.

That's one of the questions my dentist asks along with whether or not someone is a smoker and whether or not they've had braces in the past.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hey I’m Sarah!
    I’m on my 6th day of no soda.
    Is anyone else quitting soda?
    Any success stories?
    Any advice?

I quit drinking Mt dew on February 13th. I have only craved one 2x since both times was because I was stressed. I would drink 3 to 6 20oz bottles everyday.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    ipmac22 wrote: »
    Sarcasm is unnecessary. The acid in the Diet Coke attacks the tooth enamel and gums. Bacteria don't know or care if your drink is sweetened with sugar or an artificial sweetening substance. Either way the bacteria will happily take advantage of the weakness in teeth and gums. Given a nice cavity or gap in the gums that makes brushing more difficult, bacteria will thrive leading to decay and/or gingivitis. This information came from my dentist.

Weird! I always have great check ups with my dentist and I drink diet soda almost everyday.

That's one of the questions my dentist asks along with whether or not someone is a smoker and whether or not they've had braces in the past.

I dunno, I just had my teeth cleaned on Monday and my dentist told me my teeth are in excellent shape and to keep up the good work, and I drink a diet coke pretty much every day.

That's great, but there are people who literally drink 2 liters of pop, (regular or diet a day). The more you drink, the greater chance of issues.

Well, I can see that as a problem, since you'd pretty much always have the acid present in your mouth. I drink some water after the coke but if you were drinking that much your teeth would be exposed to the acid for a lot longer even so. I guess what I'm objecting to is the idea that drinking a coke or two most days while taking care of your teeth will inevitably cause damaged enamel and other issues.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    No it wont inevitably cause issues - but that doesnt mean drinking soda isnt a risk for tooth enamel.

Obviously one can mitigate this risk with good dental hygiene, as well as not sipping on soda all day (same goes for other things like, say, jelly babies - everyone who consumes jelly babies wont have poor teeth - but they are a risk and there are ways to mitigate this)

and obviously, as with all risk for all things, some people are affected more than others

The risk is still real - not a Facebook fantasy.

(I'm not against soda, diet or regular (or jelly babies for that matter) and I consume them now and then myself, as mentioned upthread )
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it that often; it's too expensive. When I buy it I have 3 cans a day and it's all gone before the end of the week. I usually only drink it when I eat out now but there's nothing 'wrong' with it per se
  • amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I totally quit soda. For me it was ulcers and had to give up acid food. Which was strange to think i actually would give it up. So i just decided i will try each day to not have any and the next thing you know i was no longer wanting it. I have not had a soda since Jan 5th.
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I do old school diet Fresca. A can or two a day.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options

Bacteria don't know something is sweet.

Well,sure, single cell organisms dont really know or taste anything.

But acidic substances can be bad for your teeth as can sugar.
  • A_poetiq
    A_poetiq Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Has anyone been able to have a soda every now and then and not switch to diet? I am a fiend for a good Dr. Pepper, but I can't have diet because migraines. :(
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Haven't had a soda in 22 months and I don't miss it.

Use to drink a minimum of 3-4 cans a day. Sometimes drank as many as 6/day

That was a reduction of 420-840 cals a day or more than 33-50% of my current 1650 cal/day limit.

Totally empty cals that contributed to my getting fat when I drank them and simply eliminating them was all I needed to do to jump start my weight loss effort.

Doesn't mean that sodas are "evil" or that you can't lose weight while drinking sodas if they fit in your diet but, for me, it was just easier to eliminate them altogether.

There are calorie free versions of most soda drinks.

Only necessary if you miss the "taste" of your soda of choice.

I don't miss the taste and save a lot of money not buying soda anymore, calorie free or not.

The only beverages that I drink regularly any more are water, black coffee and plain tea.

I still drink some wine, beer and liquor but usually only 1 glass/pint or shot w/a meal but only if I can fit in the drink into my diet based on my cal/macro needs. If not, I just skip the alcohol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A_poetiq wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to have a soda every now and then and not switch to diet? I am a fiend for a good Dr. Pepper, but I can't have diet because migraines. :(

Of course you can...