Keto diet help

Options
Ok I'm starting the Keto diet Monday .. I'm looking for ideas especially with sweet snacks .. also need help finding out my macros and grams .. please message me I have 50 pounds to lose

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What do you know about the keto diet? Have you done your homework?
  • whitneyb0421
    whitneyb0421 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ive been looking into it . High fats and low carbs to help with faster weight loss
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Keto is a great plan if you can sustain it. I love low carb, but after a long time I wanted more variety. But everyone is different! You can do it if you put your mind to it. I would check out www.ruledme.com. Craig has a calculator and tons and tons of recipes. Just a word of advice, I would try and do keto clean for the first month, no artificial sweeteners, etc. That way, you will lose your cravings for sweets. Then have them occasionally.

Best of luck!
  • whitneyb0421
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    You don't need to do keto to lose weight - you can continue eating all your favourite foods, including sweets, as long as you stick to a calorie deficit.

I did keto for a while but I love sweets and carbs so it just wasn't sustainable for me, and I regained all the weight I lost with keto.

Now with calorie counting alone, I have lost MORE weight while eating all my favourite foods every day. All you need to do is track your calories accurately with a kitchen scale (every day!) and stick to a calorie deficit.

Yea I've been doing calorie counting it's just taking me so long to lose the weight and I don't eat much fat now because of calorie counting but I love cheese and fatty foods so much .. it's just the sweets I will miss like even with oranges bananas and apples .. I just thought if I found something to replace it with I should be OK .. and how long did you do it ? I really don't want to diet I want to make it a lifestyle change so I don't gain it back
  • whitneyb0421
    Options
    SOOZIE429 wrote: »
    Keto is a great plan if you can sustain it. I love low carb, but after a long time I wanted more variety. But everyone is different! You can do it if you put your mind to it. I would check out www.ruledme.com. Craig has a calculator and tons and tons of recipes. Just a word of advice, I would try and do keto clean for the first month, no artificial sweeteners, etc. That way, you will lose your cravings for sweets. Then have them occasionally.

Best of luck!
    Thank you so much !! I'll be looking at the website !!
  • rondavis436
    rondavis436 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Keto Connect on YouTube is a great resource. They have simple keto recipes. Also Doctor Bergs channel on YouTube. Both have recipes for sweet treats.
  • whitneyb0421
    Options
    Ive been looking into it . High fats and low carbs to help with faster weight loss

Ahh, that is fad keto. It doesn't actually work that way. The weight loss will only be faster if you are eating less, which not everyone does.

If you don't have a medical reason for going extraordinarily low carb, I would suggest a more balanced approach, where you include fruits and grains occasionally, rather than trying to completely eliminate them.
    Thanks for your advice ! I figured it must be a trick to it .. I'm going to try a different approach
  • whitneyb0421
    Options
    You don't need to do keto to lose weight - you can continue eating all your favourite foods, including sweets, as long as you stick to a calorie deficit.

I did keto for a while but I love sweets and carbs so it just wasn't sustainable for me, and I regained all the weight I lost with keto.

Now with calorie counting alone, I have lost MORE weight while eating all my favourite foods every day. All you need to do is track your calories accurately with a kitchen scale (every day!) and stick to a calorie deficit.

Yea I've been doing calorie counting it's just taking me so long to lose the weight and I don't eat much fat now because of calorie counting but I love cheese and fatty foods so much .. it's just the sweets I will miss like even with oranges bananas and apples .. I just thought if I found something to replace it with I should be OK .. and how long did you do it ? I really don't want to diet I want to make it a lifestyle change so I don't gain it back

I did keto for a year. I had good intentions of sticking with it forever, but it was too restrictive and affecting my life negatively. Social obligations were difficult. And if I ever decided to have a 'cheat day' with carbs and sweets, my stomach would be miserable and in pain for hours afterwards.

It doesn't have any weight loss benefits over just calorie counting. You do drop a large amount of water weight when you first begin keto, somewhere between 3-10lbs - but that's not fat loss. Fat and protein can be filling, so people find it easier to naturally stick to a deficit.

When I was doing keto, I relied on berries and sugar-free sweeteners. But a life without apples and bananas wasn't worth it for me!

Why not try just lowering your carbs a bit to make more room for higher fat and protein options? Keto is "hardcore" low-carb eating (20g carbs per day), but there's no reason you couldn't drop your carbs to 150g or 100g to see if you prefer that.
    That's a good idea ! Instead of going so low its just my fitness pal has goals for like 60 grams of fat and it makes me miserable lol and they have high carbs which I hit easily.. I try to look at calories and macros but I always go over something
  • whitneyb0421
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Aside from a bit of additional water weight loss in the beginning, keto won't make you lose weight any faster than any other diet with equivalent calories. There's plenty of science to back that up.

Ok thank you I guess I need to do more research than just looking up success stories
  • whitneyb0421
    Options
    Keto Connect on YouTube is a great resource. They have simple keto recipes. Also Doctor Bergs channel on YouTube. Both have recipes for sweet treats.

OK thank you !
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

I did keto for a year. I had good intentions of sticking with it forever, but it was too restrictive and affecting my life negatively. Social obligations were difficult. And if I ever decided to have a 'cheat day' with carbs and sweets, my stomach would be miserable and in pain for hours afterwards.

It doesn't have any weight loss benefits over just calorie counting. You do drop a large amount of water weight when you first begin keto, somewhere between 3-10lbs - but that's not fat loss. Fat and protein can be filling, so people find it easier to naturally stick to a deficit.

When I was doing keto, I relied on berries and sugar-free sweeteners. But a life without apples and bananas wasn't worth it for me!

Why not try just lowering your carbs a bit to make more room for higher fat and protein options? Keto is "hardcore" low-carb eating (20g carbs per day), but there's no reason you couldn't drop your carbs to 150g or 100g to see if you prefer that.
    That's a good idea ! Instead of going so low its just my fitness pal has goals for like 60 grams of fat and it makes me miserable lol and they have high carbs which I hit easily.. I try to look at calories and macros but I always go over something

Yes, you can definitely customize your macro goals to whatever you prefer. I generally eat pretty low-carb, around 100g of carbs per day. It's nice because I can still enjoy all my favourite carby things in moderation. I believe my macros are around 30% carbs, 30% protein, 40% fat.
  • whitneyb0421
    Options

Yes, you can definitely customize your macro goals to whatever you prefer. I generally eat pretty low-carb, around 100g of carbs per day. It's nice because I can still enjoy all my favourite carby things in moderation. I believe my macros are around 30% carbs, 30% protein, 40% fat.

That sounds more like what I might need ! I'm going to have to look into adjusting their goals they have for me
  • whitneyb0421
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

That sounds more like what I might need ! I'm going to have to look into adjusting their goals they have for me

Why don't you look at the macro pie chart in the "Reports" section and flip through a couple of weeks of your diary. If you've been eating to your calorie limit (and it sounds like you have since you're losing weight congratulations!) with foods that you like, you can flip through a few weeks and see what your macros naturally look like. You can then change your goals to suit the way you like to eat, and/or make small tweaks that will nudge you toward changing your eating style slowly. Best of luck!

Ok that's a good idea ! And yes I've been steadily losing 2 pounds a week but I see people on this keto diet losing more .. I thought I was doing something wrong ! I do want to focus on my macros more and I'll go back and see what I usually eat and adjust it and stick with it !
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Eat how you want to eat for the rest of your life. Keto does not have magical powers of weight loss. You will eventually lose the same amount as everyone else regardless of your macro breakdown.