Keto diet help

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What do you know about the keto diet? Have you done your homework?
    Ive been looking into it . High fats and low carbs to help with faster weight loss

No keto is not faster weight loss. Low carb diets in general can give you an extra boost in water weight loss the first week. Google low carb flu - this is your body depleting glycogen stores. Water weight loss is temporary, it will come back because storing glycogen is normal for your body.

2 pounds a week steady weight loss is a 1,000 calorie deficit every day. Calorie deficit should be determined by your current size. Not everyone can or should count on 2 pounds a week. Too fast weight loss makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle. For fat loss.....moderate paced weight loss is best.

One thing to consider when choosing a weight loss "diet," what will maintenance look like? If your maintenance will look nothing like keto, then maintenance is going to feel like starting over. A smaller you will require fewer calories forever. Look for some forever changes.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Ok I'm starting the Keto diet Monday .. I'm looking for ideas especially with sweet snacks .. also need help finding out my macros and grams .. please message me I have 50 pounds to lose

I agree with what everyone is saying. I mean sometimes I think people chose keto by default simply because they heard amazing benefits on keto. In reality, a lot of it is myth. Losing weight requires being in a caloric deficit, basically eating less calories than you burn. Once you know what is your caloric deficit, the next question you should ask yourself is what will make your weight loss easier without feeling miserable.

If eating high fats helps you feel satiated, then go for keto.

If you are like me who lift weights and perfers carbs to fuel your workout, then do what I do and that is eat the foods you like providing that you are still in a caloric deficit. I am not saying eat ust junk food, because you will soon find out, they cost a lot in calories. I sometimes am able to fit a junk food here and there, but my metabolism is quite high (I usually cut at 2400 calories per day), so I can afford to have some junk food in my diet, but a person who has 1500 calories for example, will find themselves pretty hungry if the diet consists of just junk food...and this without mentionning how it can affect you healthwise.

If you are vegan, then keto is not the way to go unless eating avocado, olive oil and nut butters all day is your thing. Once again, you still need to be in a caloric deficit.

In the end, what matters is picking a diet that suits you and helps you stay at a caloric deficit. There is no right or wrong diet, in terms of body composition, all diets are equal calorie for calorie, there is no diet superior to another for fat loss. People will claim that with keto you will lose weight faster....in theory, it does in the beginning, but it's not all fat....it's usually the water and glycogen that you're depleting, but it has been proven over and over that in the long run, you will lose fat at the same rate as the other diets calorie for calorie.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    Ok I'm starting the Keto diet Monday .. I'm looking for ideas especially with sweet snacks .. also need help finding out my macros and grams .. please message me I have 50 pounds to lose

I agree with what everyone is saying. I mean sometimes I think people chose keto by default simply because they heard amazing benefits on keto. In reality, a lot of it is myth. Losing weight requires being in a caloric deficit, basically eating less calories than you burn. Once you know what is your caloric deficit, the next question you should ask yourself is what will make your weight loss easier without feeling miserable.

If you are like me who lift weights and perfers carbs to fuel your workout, then do what I do and that is eat the foods you like providing that you are still in a caloric deficit. I am not saying eat ust junk food, because you will soon find out, they cost a lot in calories. I sometimes am able to fit a junk food here and there, but my metabolism is quite high (I usually cut at 2400 calories per day), so I can afford to have some junk food in my diet, but a person who has 1500 calories for example, will find themselves pretty hungry if the diet consists of just junk food...and this without mentionning how it can affect you healthwise.

If you are vegan, then keto is not the way to go unless eating avocado, olive oil and nut butters all day is your thing. Once again, you still need to be in a caloric deficit.

In the end, what matters is picking a diet that suits you and helps you stay at a caloric deficit. There is no right or wrong diet, in terms of body composition, all diets are equal calorie for calorie, there is no diet superior to another for fat loss. People will claim that with keto you will lose weight faster....in theory, it does in the beginning, but it's fat....it's usually the water and glycogen that you're depleting, but it has been proven over and over that in the long run, you will lose at the same rate as the other diets calorie for calorie.

Y'know....I'm neither vegan nor keto (and no desire to do so), but a guacamole and peanut butter diet doesn't sound half bad when I think about it. :D
  • fb47
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

In the end, what matters is picking a diet that suits you and helps you stay at a caloric deficit. There is no right or wrong diet, in terms of body composition, all diets are equal calorie for calorie, there is no diet superior to another for fat loss. People will claim that with keto you will lose weight faster....in theory, it does in the beginning, but it's fat....it's usually the water and glycogen that you're depleting, but it has been proven over and over that in the long run, you will lose at the same rate as the other diets calorie for calorie.

Y'know....I'm neither vegan nor keto (and no desire to do so), but a guacamole and peanut butter diet doesn't sound half bad when I think about it. :D
    Yuk :D
  • whitneyb0421
    whitneyb0421 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    You don't need to do keto to lose weight - you can continue eating all your favourite foods, including sweets, as long as you stick to a calorie deficit.

I did keto for a while but I love sweets and carbs so it just wasn't sustainable for me, and I regained all the weight I lost with keto.

Now with calorie counting alone, I have lost MORE weight while eating all my favourite foods every day. All you need to do is track your calories accurately with a kitchen scale (every day!) and stick to a calorie deficit.

Yea I've been doing calorie counting it's just taking me so long to lose the weight and I don't eat much fat now because of calorie counting but I love cheese and fatty foods so much .. it's just the sweets I will miss like even with oranges bananas and apples .. I just thought if I found something to replace it with I should be OK .. and how long did you do it ? I really don't want to diet I want to make it a lifestyle change so I don't gain it back

I did keto for a year. I had good intentions of sticking with it forever, but it was too restrictive and affecting my life negatively. Social obligations were difficult. And if I ever decided to have a 'cheat day' with carbs and sweets, my stomach would be miserable and in pain for hours afterwards.

It doesn't have any weight loss benefits over just calorie counting. You do drop a large amount of water weight when you first begin keto, somewhere between 3-10lbs - but that's not fat loss. Fat and protein can be filling, so people find it easier to naturally stick to a deficit.

When I was doing keto, I relied on berries and sugar-free sweeteners. But a life without apples and bananas wasn't worth it for me!

Why not try just lowering your carbs a bit to make more room for higher fat and protein options? Keto is "hardcore" low-carb eating (20g carbs per day), but there's no reason you couldn't drop your carbs to 150g or 100g to see if you prefer that.
    That's a good idea ! Instead of going so low its just my fitness pal has goals for like 60 grams of fat and it makes me miserable lol and they have high carbs which I hit easily.. I try to look at calories and macros but I always go over something

Yes, you can definitely customize your macro goals to whatever you prefer. I generally eat pretty low-carb, around 100g of carbs per day. It's nice because I can still enjoy all my favourite carby things in moderation. I believe my macros are around 30% carbs, 30% protein, 40% fat.

That sounds more like what I might need ! I'm going to have to look into adjusting their goals they have for me

Why don't you look at the macro pie chart in the "Reports" section and flip through a couple of weeks of your diary. If you've been eating to your calorie limit (and it sounds like you have since you're losing weight congratulations!) with foods that you like, you can flip through a few weeks and see what your macros naturally look like. You can then change your goals to suit the way you like to eat, and/or make small tweaks that will nudge you toward changing your eating style slowly. Best of luck!

Ok that's a good idea ! And yes I've been steadily losing 2 pounds a week but I see people on this keto diet losing more .. I thought I was doing something wrong ! I do want to focus on my macros more and I'll go back and see what I usually eat and adjust it and stick with it !

2 lbs a week is the highest weight loss goal MFP will allow you to set - you really shouldn't try to lose more unless you're obese and have some urgent health reason to get to a lower weight fast. Being on a severely restricted diet for an extended period can lead to health issues as well as unnecessary muscle loss and other unpleasant side effects (posters here have shared hair loss stories, for example). You're doing fine with your rate of loss, I would focus on nutrition and finding the types of food that make you feel satisfied now and be sure to rein in the rate of loss as you get closer to your goal.

eta: when you see people losing a lot of weight on keto, you're most likely seeing people just starting, and losing a lot of water weight. Fat loss will depend on how many calories the person is eating vs. how many they're burning, just like any other way of eating. My guess is that in real life you probably don't know many (if any) people who have stuck long enough to see the weekly fat loss totals.

Great advice ! I'm feeling better about my personal journey now .. I need to focus on myself and now I realize 2 pounds in a week is good .. I don't know anyone doing it personally just see it online really
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do keto to lose weight - you can continue eating all your favourite foods, including sweets, as long as you stick to a calorie deficit.

I did keto for a while but I love sweets and carbs so it just wasn't sustainable for me, and I regained all the weight I lost with keto.

Now with calorie counting alone, I have lost MORE weight while eating all my favourite foods every day. All you need to do is track your calories accurately with a kitchen scale (every day!) and stick to a calorie deficit.

Yea I've been doing calorie counting it's just taking me so long to lose the weight and I don't eat much fat now because of calorie counting but I love cheese and fatty foods so much .. it's just the sweets I will miss like even with oranges bananas and apples .. I just thought if I found something to replace it with I should be OK .. and how long did you do it ? I really don't want to diet I want to make it a lifestyle change so I don't gain it back

I did keto for a year. I had good intentions of sticking with it forever, but it was too restrictive and affecting my life negatively. Social obligations were difficult. And if I ever decided to have a 'cheat day' with carbs and sweets, my stomach would be miserable and in pain for hours afterwards.

It doesn't have any weight loss benefits over just calorie counting. You do drop a large amount of water weight when you first begin keto, somewhere between 3-10lbs - but that's not fat loss. Fat and protein can be filling, so people find it easier to naturally stick to a deficit.

When I was doing keto, I relied on berries and sugar-free sweeteners. But a life without apples and bananas wasn't worth it for me!

Why not try just lowering your carbs a bit to make more room for higher fat and protein options? Keto is "hardcore" low-carb eating (20g carbs per day), but there's no reason you couldn't drop your carbs to 150g or 100g to see if you prefer that.
    That's a good idea ! Instead of going so low its just my fitness pal has goals for like 60 grams of fat and it makes me miserable lol and they have high carbs which I hit easily.. I try to look at calories and macros but I always go over something

Yes, you can definitely customize your macro goals to whatever you prefer. I generally eat pretty low-carb, around 100g of carbs per day. It's nice because I can still enjoy all my favourite carby things in moderation. I believe my macros are around 30% carbs, 30% protein, 40% fat.

I eat a diet with those same macro settings and it works very well (for me). I love love love carbs but as a diabetic I do have to moderate them. I get about 100 g of carbs each day which allows me to still eat grains and some fruit, as well as treats like ice cream! I swap out veggies for a lot of carbs and try to stay away from things like pasta, bread and white rice because I love them so much that I always want more (and then I feel miserable).

Last night I swapped barley pilaf for the mac n' cheese the rest of the family had. I made enough that I can have it as a side dish multiple times (I actually just had a bit here at work as my snack!). I swap out brown rice for white rice, and I usually pick the sweet potato over the gold or russet potatoes the rest of the family eats.

I also find that batch cooking keeps me on track. On Sunday I made a zucchini lasagna (full of mozzarella and ricotta cheese) and made 6 servings from it. It has been my lunch for this week. I also love the Halo Top pancakes and waffles ice cream. It feels indulgent and keeps me on track.

Best of luck to you! You are welcome to add me as a friend and we can keep each other motivated!

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

That sounds more like what I might need ! I'm going to have to look into adjusting their goals they have for me

Why don't you look at the macro pie chart in the "Reports" section and flip through a couple of weeks of your diary. If you've been eating to your calorie limit (and it sounds like you have since you're losing weight congratulations!) with foods that you like, you can flip through a few weeks and see what your macros naturally look like. You can then change your goals to suit the way you like to eat, and/or make small tweaks that will nudge you toward changing your eating style slowly. Best of luck!

Ok that's a good idea ! And yes I've been steadily losing 2 pounds a week but I see people on this keto diet losing more .. I thought I was doing something wrong ! I do want to focus on my macros more and I'll go back and see what I usually eat and adjust it and stick with it !

2 lbs a week is the highest weight loss goal MFP will allow you to set - you really shouldn't try to lose more unless you're obese and have some urgent health reason to get to a lower weight fast. Being on a severely restricted diet for an extended period can lead to health issues as well as unnecessary muscle loss and other unpleasant side effects (posters here have shared hair loss stories, for example). You're doing fine with your rate of loss, I would focus on nutrition and finding the types of food that make you feel satisfied now and be sure to rein in the rate of loss as you get closer to your goal.

eta: when you see people losing a lot of weight on keto, you're most likely seeing people just starting, and losing a lot of water weight. Fat loss will depend on how many calories the person is eating vs. how many they're burning, just like any other way of eating. My guess is that in real life you probably don't know many (if any) people who have stuck long enough to see the weekly fat loss totals.

Great advice ! I'm feeling better about my personal journey now .. I need to focus on myself and now I realize 2 pounds in a week is good .. I don't know anyone doing it personally just see it online really

Trust no one and nothing in your social media feed - people are delusional, misguided or downright dishonest most of the time when it comes to weight loss and health :(

Do take a look at the first page or so of this thread - it talks about diet breaks, and is a good resource for strategies to reach your goals and maintain.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • whitneyb0421
    Options

In the end, what matters is picking a diet that suits you and helps you stay at a caloric deficit. There is no right or wrong diet, in terms of body composition, all diets are equal calorie for calorie, there is no diet superior to another for fat loss. People will claim that with keto you will lose weight faster....in theory, it does in the beginning, but it's not all fat....it's usually the water and glycogen that you're depleting, but it has been proven over and over that in the long run, you will lose fat at the same rate as the other diets calorie for calorie.

Thanks so much for your advice ! Knowledge is everything and I'm thankful for this app and helpful people .. I guess everything isn't what it seems .. yea they are losing weight but not fat and it's prob not a lifestyle change ! I want a lifestyle change to where I don't deprive myself from anything but also have the knowledge to know what I'm putting in my body and how much of it I need a day
  • whitneyb0421
    Options

I eat a diet with those same macro settings and it works very well (for me). I love love love carbs but as a diabetic I do have to moderate them. I get about 100 g of carbs each day which allows me to still eat grains and some fruit, as well as treats like ice cream! I swap out veggies for a lot of carbs and try to stay away from things like pasta, bread and white rice because I love them so much that I always want more (and then I feel miserable).

Last night I swapped barley pilaf for the mac n' cheese the rest of the family had. I made enough that I can have it as a side dish multiple times (I actually just had a bit here at work as my snack!). I swap out brown rice for white rice, and I usually pick the sweet potato over the gold or russet potatoes the rest of the family eats.

I also find that batch cooking keeps me on track. On Sunday I made a zucchini lasagna (full of mozzarella and ricotta cheese) and made 6 servings from it. It has been my lunch for this week. I also love the Halo Top pancakes and waffles ice cream. It feels indulgent and keeps me on track.

Best of luck to you! You are welcome to add me as a friend and we can keep each other motivated!

Wow thats awesome I hope one day I can learn how to substitute the bad things out ! Where do you find your recipes ? I think I need to start prepping and planning ahead .. because when I don't I find myself having to est fast food .. and I try to watch my sodium intake and go over too it can get stessful trying to stay within my goals made for me lol
  • whitneyb0421
    Options

Trust no one and nothing in your social media feed - people are delusional, misguided or downright dishonest most of the time when it comes to weight loss and health :(

Do take a look at the first page or so of this thread - it talks about diet breaks, and is a good resource for strategies to reach your goals and maintain.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
    I will look at that thank you !! And do you think intermittent fasting works ? That’s another thing I wanted to look into .. like is it a healthy way to live ..
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in keto, you should try it. I say weight management and health is a science experiment, we all respond a bit differently (although the concepts are the same). If you want advice other than "don't do it", try posting on a keto board. I'm not frowning on any advice given, but if you're going to give it a whirl talk to people that can give you real world advice. Good luck!
  • fb47
    edited March 2018
    Options

I will look at that thank you !! And do you think intermittent fasting works ? That’s another thing I wanted to look into .. like is it a healthy way to live ..

That's just another tool, you won't be healthier because of IF, you can still overeat at IF, gain weight and still have health issues. Intermittent Fasting is another tool, I used it on my last cut and it wasn't anything special, I only did it because I prefer eating 2-3 big meals vs 5-6 small meals, that's it, I lost at the same rate as my previous cuts when I wasn't doing Intermittent Fasting. I still had to make sure I was eating less than I was burning, it's not because you fast for over 16 hours that in your a fat burning mode or anything like that. Even if you fast for 22 hours, if you eat more calories in those 2 hours than you burn all day, you will gain weight. There is no way around the caloric deficit.
  • mph323
    edited March 2018
    Options

You are doing just fine eating the way you are now - why are you looking at changing up your food habits so drastically? Typically, when a person makes a radical change in the way they eat to lose weight or "eat healthier", they find that not only are they not able to stick to it, they've now disrupted the previous eating pattern that was working for them.

Intermittent fasting can be as healthy a way to eat as any other way, as long as calorie and nutrition goals are met. It's really just restricting when you eat to hours that make sense for you. Limiting yourself to eating in an 8 hour window, for instance, can be helpful to control snacking, or noshing after dinner, or eating in even shorter time frames can let people eat bigger meals if that's what they prefer, but it all boils down to calories and nutrition in the end.

My strong advice is to stop looking at ways to change the way you're eating since you're currently successful, and focus on tweaking it slowly to make it even more of a good fit for you.

eta grammar
  • mph323
    Options
    kikih64 wrote: »
    If you're interested in keto, you should try it. I say weight management and health is a science experiment, we all respond a bit differently (although the concepts are the same). If you want advice other than "don't do it", try posting on a keto board. I'm not frowning on any advice given, but if you're going to give it a whirl talk to people that can give you real world advice. Good luck!

I disagree with this. She's looking at keto as a way to lose weight faster, not as a lifestyle that might suit her. She's already got a way of eating that's successful for weight loss, and doesn't express any interest in limiting her food choices for any other reason than to lose weight. I would say the same if she suggested she wanted to go plant-based or any other drastic change to her current diet.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

What intermittent fasting and keto have in common is that they're the big fad everybody is jumping on right now, and making all kinds of magical claims about. Regardless of what you eat or what time of the day you eat it, you lose weight by consuming less calories than you burn. No fad diet or eating pattern changes that fact.

Keto and/or IF may be helpful for some people in that they can make you feel more satisfied by your intake and therefore make it easier to stick to your calorie goals (which is ultimately what matters). But neither is "best" for everybody, and neither will cause more weight loss than any other diet or eating pattern, if calories are held equal.
  • whitneyb0421
    Options

You are doing just fine eating the way you are now - why are you looking at changing up your food habits so drastically? Typically, when a person makes a radical change in the way they eat to lose weight or "eat healthier", they find that not only are they not able to stick to it, they've now disrupted the previous eating pattern that was working for them.

Intermittent fasting can be as healthy a way to eat as any other way, as long as calorie calorie and nutrition goals are met. It's really just restricting when you eat to hours that make sense for you. Limiting yourself to eating in an 8 hour window, for instance, can be helpful to control snacking, or noshing after dinner, or eating in even shorter time frames can let people eat bigger meals if that's what they prefer, but it all boils down to calories and nutrition in the end.

My strong advice is to stop looking at ways to change the way you're eating since you're currently successful, and focus on tweaking it slowly to make it even more of a good fit for you.

True indeed ! I just need to stick with what I’m doing .. my body seems to like it but as far as this app I start getting stressed trying not to eat too much sodium sugar fat etc.. I think I will start planning out meals
  • whitneyb0421
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

What intermittent fasting and keto have in common is that they're the big fad everybody is jumping on right now, and making all kinds of magical claims about. Regardless of what you eat or what time of the day you eat it, you lose weight by consuming less calories than you burn. No fad diet or eating pattern changes that fact.

Keto and/or IF may be helpful for some people in that they can make you feel more satisfied by your intake and therefore make it easier to stick to your calorie goals (which is ultimately what matters). But neither is "best" for everybody, and neither will cause more weight loss than any other diet or eating pattern, if calories are held equal.

The good thing about it is I eat 1600 calories a day that’s what they give me to lose the 2 pounds a week .. and I feel full by bedtime .. so I’m going to just keep this up and focus on sugar and bad stuff I need to lower
  • whitneyb0421
    Options

That's just another tool, you won't be healthier because of IF, you can still overeat at IF, gain weight and still have health issues. Intermittent Fasting is another tool, I used it on my last cut and it wasn't anything special, I only did it because I prefer eating 2-3 big meals vs 5-6 small meals, that's it, I lost at the same rate as my previous cuts when I wasn't doing Intermittent Fasting. I still had to make sure I was eating less than I was burning, it's not because you fast for over 16 hours that in your a fat burning mode or anything like that. Even if you fast for 22 hours, if you eat more calories in those 2 hours than you burn all day, you will gain weight. There is no way around the caloric deficit.

Thanks for sharing your experience ! I keep seeing it and was wondering if it helps with health and the way your body works but you answered that !
  • mph323
    Options

Intermittent fasting can be as healthy a way to eat as any other way, as long as calorie calorie and nutrition goals are met. It's really just restricting when you eat to hours that make sense for you. Limiting yourself to eating in an 8 hour window, for instance, can be helpful to control snacking, or noshing after dinner, or eating in even shorter time frames can let people eat bigger meals if that's what they prefer, but it all boils down to calories and nutrition in the end.

True indeed ! I just need to stick with what I’m doing .. my body seems to like it but as far as this app I start getting stressed trying not to eat too much sodium sugar fat etc.. I think I will start planning out meals

I think you're stressing yourself out by making this too complicated :) Make your goals simple, and easily achievable. If you have no medical reason to restrict sugar and sodium, ignore those limits for now. Focus on your macros. Make sure you are meeting your protein goals. Let the carbs and fats fall wherever they fall. S-l-o-w-l-y tweak your food choices toward things that you consider healthier than others, and I suggest again don't try to do it all at once, get used to changes one step at a time.
  • whitneyb0421
    Options

I think you're stressing yourself out by making this too complicated :) Make your goals simple, and easily achievable. If you have no medical reason to restrict sugar and sodium, ignore those limits for now. Focus on your macros. Make sure you are meeting your protein goals. Let the carbs and fats fall wherever they fall. S-l-o-w-l-y tweak your food choices toward things that you consider healthier than others, and I suggest again don't try to do it all at once, get used to changes one step at a time.

Ok! I think I got this !!! I just thought the sugar and sodium will make me bloated or not lose the weight .. but I'll slowly get there !Thank you