Getting ripped without a gym membership

Options

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I blew out my shoulder 18 months ago, decided against surgery and did 6 months Of Needling, acupressure and Physical Therapy. I started modified push ups, pull ups, flipping a tractor tire, deep squat jumping, bands, biking 20 miles a day 5 days a week for about three months and am about 90%.. I would say I'm about 90% back to the shape I was in two years ago before the Injury and haven't been to a gym yet. Not sure if Muscle memory and my great diet had anything to with it but at 49 years of age I wanted to do it slowly and right..
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Regarding Herschel Walker's claims as to never lifting weights, he is known to have multiple personalities.

One of those personalities may have hit the weight room while the other did not.

The guy is a freak of nature for sure, like Bo Jackson.

Bo Jackson was awesome, but he was no Jim Thorpe!
  • Davidsdottir
    edited March 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Egger29 wrote: »
    dart_si wrote: »
    Hello forum. I notice many people on here think it's impossible to get into good shape without going to the gym and lifting multiple times a week. I plan to gain about 25 pounds over the next year and a half without going to the gym once.
    I have a pullups bar, I will be doing a lot of modified body weight exercise. I'm at 145 pounds right now and 5'10. My body fat stays around the single digits naturally so this may be easier for someone like me compared to others. If you want to see my progress in the future feel free to contact me.
    Has anybody had any success doing what I'm doing or similar?

Haters Gonna Hate.

I've done professional sport programs that are entirely based on Body-Weight calisthenics. No one "Needs" a gym, so long as you focus on what you're working on and using proper form. Single Leg Squats, Push Ups, Body Rows...all worthwhile exercises. Take a look at Professional Gymnasts for Inspiration.

I've been a fitness trainer for almost 20 years and recently I signed up for an Adult Gymnastics Class and it killed me every week! Who'd have thought bouncing on a trampoline would knock you out of breath but yeah...killer workout.

I read a study the other week highlighting Zero Difference in Strength gain between Bench Press and Push-Ups., if anything Pushups are more effective as you require more core stability throughout the range of motion.

But as I said at the start, there's a lot of hate on the threads for anyone who dares challenge the status quo!

I wish you the best of success in it!

Cheers!

So you're saying he can gain 25 lbs while remaining at single digit BF% in a year and a half doing bw exercises at home? Because that is what the push back is for.

He didn't say staying in single digits afaik. He just said he wanted to be 170 and he was currently in single digits.

He said his weight tends to stay in the single digits, so it's easier for someone like him.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Hello forum. I notice many people on here think it's impossible to get into good shape without going to the gym and lifting multiple times a week. I plan to gain about 25 pounds over the next year and a half without going to the gym once.
    I have a pullups bar, I will be doing a lot of modified body weight exercise. I'm at 145 pounds right now and 5'10. My body fat stays around the single digits naturally so this may be easier for someone like me compared to others. If you want to see my progress in the future feel free to contact me.

Haters Gonna Hate.

I've done professional sport programs that are entirely based on Body-Weight calisthenics. No one "Needs" a gym, so long as you focus on what you're working on and using proper form. Single Leg Squats, Push Ups, Body Rows...all worthwhile exercises. Take a look at Professional Gymnasts for Inspiration.

I've been a fitness trainer for almost 20 years and recently I signed up for an Adult Gymnastics Class and it killed me every week! Who'd have thought bouncing on a trampoline would knock you out of breath but yeah...killer workout.

I read a study the other week highlighting Zero Difference in Strength gain between Bench Press and Push-Ups., if anything Pushups are more effective as you require more core stability throughout the range of motion.

But as I said at the start, there's a lot of hate on the threads for anyone who dares challenge the status quo!

Cheers!

So you're saying he can gain 25 lbs while remaining at single digit BF% in a year and a half doing bw exercises at home? Because that is what the push back is for.

He didn't say staying in single digits afaik. He just said he wanted to be 170 and he was currently in single digits.

He said his weight tends to stay in the single digits, so it's easier for someone like him.

Well?

Well, what? I was responding about your single-digit question. You said he didn't say he'd stay there, but in the OP it sounds to me like he thinks he can.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Let's recap. The quote in the OP was:
    I plan to gain about 25 pounds over the next year and a half without going to the gym once.

Any of us could do that. I could easily gain 25 pounds in a year and a half without going to the gym once. Hell, I could do it without even working out once. It may be about 75%-90% fat, but no BF% or muscle parameters were stated, so goal met.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Haters Gonna Hate.

Cheers!

It doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

He's a pretty lean dude...wants to put on some weight and use bodyweight stuff to try to make it muscle. That's not crazy I don't think.

Maybe it isn't optimal, but it could be if that fits his lifestyle.

Because he mentioned he "naturally" stays in the single digits, whatever that means, I read that as he expects that to continue.

Of course he can gain 25 lbs in a year and a half, but I think the "haters" are suggesting that if he gains 25 lbs in 18 months and he's not following a specific program (bw or otherwise) a good portion of that is going to be fat. And that's fine, as you said he's pretty lean and can probably carry a little more fat along with new muscle, but I didn't think that's what he was talking about. And he doesn't seem to be coming back, so I guess we'll never know :smiley:

I think if he had asked how to do it, everyone would have told him to set his goal to gain half-a-lb per week, follow one of the bodyweight programs out there, and don't panic if you get a little fluffy, you can always cut to get back to your desired bf% afterward.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Haters Gonna Hate.

Cheers!

That study was on low load (40% of 1RM) bench press vs. push-ups.... 40% of 1RM is a warm up set.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1728869X17301028
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Haters Gonna Hate.

Cheers!

That study was on low load (40% of 1RM) bench press vs. push-ups.... 40% of 1RM is a warm up set.

Expected as much.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

Haters Gonna Hate.

Cheers!

Expected as much.

No wonder they had similar hypertrophic responses. That's such a biased and controlled study then.

How about the bench people train at 65-75% of their 1rm and the pushup stays the same. I guarantee the results would be quite different.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

Haters Gonna Hate.

Cheers!

Expected as much.

No wonder they had similar hypertrophic responses. That's such a biased and controlled study then.

How about the bench people train at 65-75% of their 1rm and the pushup stays the same. I guarantee the results would be quite different.

Right. Who the hell benches at 40% 1RM. That isnt even my warmup weight.