Let's talk protein bars.

Options

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Kirkland Signature Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough protein bar.

1g Sugar, 3g Carbs, 21g Protein, 15g Fiber....

Protein blend (milk protein isolate and whey protein isolate), dietary fiber from tapioca starch, cashews, unsweetened chocolate, erythritol, cocoa butter, sea salt, water, sunflower lechitin, stevia.

190 calories.

I wouldn't call this a candy bar with some protein sprinkled on it.... although it is quite tasty and very filling. Goes well with my mid-morning coffee.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Do you like protein bars? Which one and why?

Glorified candy bar. Simple.

Perhaps, but with a more desirable macro profile. Where's the harm in that?

I generally eat them out of convenience. I need them to be gluten free and easy to chew because I have braces, so my go-to brand of choice is Think Thin. I like Pure Protein, but I find them hard to chew with braces. The only brand that I tried that went straight to the trash is Kirkland. Blech.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    Phd Smart bar ... closest thing to a proper chocolate bar yet

Have you heard about Bounty and Snickers protein? I believe you should get familiar with them. :smile:
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited March 2018
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

I generally eat them out of convenience. I need them to be gluten free and easy to chew because I have braces, so my go-to brand of choice is Think Thin. I like Pure Protein, but I find them hard to chew with braces. The only brand that I tried that went straight to the trash is Kirkland. Blech.

No harm if you understand that they are a highly processed snack food, just like any other candy bar, and shouldn't be used to supplement real food. Also, you need to be aware of the quality of the protein as many of the cheap bars, just like the cheap powders, have inflated protein numbers. Those number are based on nitrogen levels and do not indicate the quality of the protein for your body.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited March 2018
    Options

Read your label for Pure Protein, some of the bars are fine but most use a lot of collagen and gelatin to inflate the protein numbers. If you are eating it for macros find a better bar.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    Chef Irvine's FitCrunch bars are freaking amazing! I eat one every afternoon to hit my protein goals and I feel like I'm eating a candy bar.

I agree, I think we posted about the same time about these :-) I only eat them once or twice a week, but I gave my son a piece of one, and he enjoyed it too.
  • cowaggon
    cowaggon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sinister labs makes some amazing protein bars but they're not the cheapest on the market but it's not too overly bloated. Their pancake mix is pretty great too.
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Cliff Builder's bars are 280 calories and 20g of protein. We use them now more as meal replacements due to the calories. They are delicious though.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Zero harm. I am just saying what they are :) Many people eat them as a "healthy" snack and as with anything labelled as "healthy" over use it.

Not only is "healthy" over used, it has no real meaning. My Snickers bar is "healthy" if they want to say it is, and they probably will someday lol.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Zero harm. I am just saying what they are :) Many people eat them as a "healthy" snack and as with anything labelled as "healthy" over use it.

Not only is "healthy" over used, it has no real meaning. My Snickers bar is "healthy" if they want to say it is, and they probably will someday lol.

I heard peanuts were a good source of protein...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Healthy stamp being prepared as we speak.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

If only I liked peanuts...they are a heck of a lot cheaper than an RX Bar though.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    My current favorite protein bars are RX Bars though I like some of the Kind Bars as well as well as some Cliff Bars. I use them as snacks and they quite easily fit in my calorie goals.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Whatever is on sale. I check the protein content. Some are surprisingly low. I prefer to eat half because typically that is all I need.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    QUEST QUEST QUEST QUEST

The Scimx ones are also alright

I’m not really one for chocolate bars like Mars bars etc, but I DO like protein bars. Fulfils my sugar craving, takes a while to eat and has enough protein to be satiating. I kind of don’t want them to taste like a chocolate bar - they fulfil a different need for me so I’m happy with them being different, texture-wise.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I haven't had any that I really like and would buy again.

To me so many taste chalky or artificial-like. I have better luck making my own and controlling the ingredients I use.

Same!!!
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    The only thing about protein bars is that they just provide protein, that's it. Basically empty calories, still better than sugar though.
  • _TheLittleMermaid_
    _TheLittleMermaid_ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Enlightened bars are pretty good
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    The only thing about protein bars is that they just provide protein, that's it. Basically empty calories, still better than sugar though.

Protein is an empty calorie? I'm assuming that didn't come out as you meant it?
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I like Oh yeah! bars as a treat.