I seriously need help with my night eating problem

Options

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Just plan it into your day. That way you enjoy it and no guilt.

You're schedule doesn't have to match anyone elses. Giving up something you really enjoy is likely a strategy for failure. Save those calories earlier in the day, plan what you're going to eat so it's not a free for all and enjoy.
  • debbiej2010
    debbiej2010 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sometime the biggest workout needed is to the 'willpower' muscle.!! i fight this daily as well and my willpower is getting stronger!
  • Nancela
    Nancela Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Nancela wrote: »
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    My rules for myself:

Never eat in front of the tv, all food must be at table.

Allow for nighttime snack, save the calories. Popcorn, carrots, oatmeal, cheese, nuts.

I have two things that zap my cravings...
    Peach ice tea from crystal light...it’s so sweet just a little usually cancels my sugar craving.
    For salt, low sodium v8 which I don’t like...but cures my salt craving with a tiny serving.

If I’m really hungry, I do this process...
    Drink a full glass of water, wait 20 min.
    Still hungry.
    Low calorie snack and full glass of water, wait 20 min.
    If I’m really Still hungry.
    Hot tea and granola bar. Usually I don’t get past that.

Another helpful thing I do is go to the gym or walk around the neighborhood.

Keep your hands busy with sudoku or knitting?

Itr would be difficult to stop eating in front of the TV because my husband and I have been doing this for years. It is our thing. At the end of the day we sit down in front of the TV and eat our dinner.
    I could say though, that after eating the meal, if I want a snack I need to go to the table and eat it and then I rprobably would not bother. One thing I did do, is put some tempting snack items in the basement fridge. My knees hurt too much to go up and down the stairs too often so this may be helpful. I have been doing Wordsearch on my phone lately so that is helping while I am watching TV. I will try your water trick. It sounds like something I could do. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and thank you for the advice.

This is where the problem is rooted.

Change this up. Do not eat dinner while watching TV.

Eat dinner alone if you have to, in another room. Your husband can choose to join you if he wants. If he doesn't, stick to your path and eat by yourself.

As for the "tempting snacks" in the basement fridge...why are you doing this?
    Do not have tempting snacks in your home period!

Make a decision to be "all-in" for your health journey. Your knees will thank you.

Sorry, but eating dinner alone isn't an option. We have been doing this for years. I am trying to tackle the after dinner snacking. That is my problem. I am going to set aside some calories for ONE snack and it can't be too late because of acid re flux. I think this should work.

In theory, you are correct. But it is our lifestyle. We are older and retired and very unlikely to change this habit anytime soon. It is something we look forward to and enjoy. When you get to our age there isn't much to do. lol Thank you for your advice.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    david95d wrote: »
    Try intermittent fasting! You you push your calories later on the day

This.
  • Nancela
    Options

This.

This is probably my solution. I am usually busy during the day and really don't eat much. I think fasting is good for weight loss and my digestive problems. Thanks.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

This.

This is probably my solution. I am usually busy during the day and really don't eat much. I think fasting is good for weight loss and my digestive problems. Thanks.

My own variation of IF is what I call the " eat and forget" diet, stuff your face with your daily calories at breakfast and forget about food for the rest of the day.
  • GetFit4Life2018
    GetFit4Life2018 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The abandonment aspect obviously isn't me as I'm not married. I do know if I don't watch tv, I likely won't eat at night or won't eat as much. I lost weight in the past just keeping busy and mind occupied with no tv at night. Try incorporating some chores into your evening routine while watching tv. Fold laundry, type on the computer, go through old magazines, work a crossword or jig saw puzzle, purge a closet, clean the room. Maybe it will get your mind off the option of running for food. I used to work a crazy busy job which meant doing some work at night at home with no tv. When I did, I never snacked and lost 20 lbs. As I've gone back to watching tv in last 2 yrs, I gained the weight back. I have to switch things up now too. I know how you feel!

Hope it goes well, I know it's TOUGH to give up the treats in front of the tv.
  • Nancela
    Options
    The abandonment aspect obviously isn't me as I'm not married. I do know if I don't watch tv, I likely won't eat at night or won't eat as much. I lost weight in the past just keeping busy and mind occupied with no tv at night. Try incorporating some chores into your evening routine while watching tv. Fold laundry, type on the computer, go through old magazines, work a crossword or jig saw puzzle, purge a closet, clean the room. Maybe it will get your mind off the option of running for food. I used to work a crazy busy job which meant doing some work at night at home with no tv. When I did, I never snacked and lost 20 lbs. As I've gone back to watching tv in last 2 yrs, I gained the weight back. I have to switch things up now too. I know how you feel!

Hope it goes well, I know it's TOUGH to give up the treats in front of the tv.

I think I have gotten myself under control. I also lost weight and put 20 pounds back on. I don't feel good with this extra weight so really want to get rid of it. I can try and do a few things at night. I sometimes fold laundry or play Wordsearch on my phone. I am going to try and get myself off the couch and do something away from the TV at night. At least for a little while just to break the rut I've gotten myself in. Thanks for you help. I will let you know how I am doing.
  • Nancela
    Options

This.

My own variation of IF is what I call the " eat and forget" diet, stuff your face with your daily calories at breakfast and forget about food for the rest of the day.

I don't think I could eat all that at one meal. 1200 calories is a lot to eat at once. My system needs time to digest.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    My rules for myself:

Never eat in front of the tv, all food must be at table.

Allow for nighttime snack, save the calories. Popcorn, carrots, oatmeal, cheese, nuts.

I have two things that zap my cravings...
    Peach ice tea from crystal light...it’s so sweet just a little usually cancels my sugar craving.
    For salt, low sodium v8 which I don’t like...but cures my salt craving with a tiny serving.

If I’m really hungry, I do this process...
    Drink a full glass of water, wait 20 min.
    Still hungry.
    Low calorie snack and full glass of water, wait 20 min.
    If I’m really Still hungry.
    Hot tea and granola bar. Usually I don’t get past that.

Another helpful thing I do is go to the gym or walk around the neighborhood.

Keep your hands busy with sudoku or knitting?

Itr would be difficult to stop eating in front of the TV because my husband and I have been doing this for years. It is our thing. At the end of the day we sit down in front of the TV and eat our dinner.
    I could say though, that after eating the meal, if I want a snack I need to go to the table and eat it and then I rprobably would not bother. One thing I did do, is put some tempting snack items in the basement fridge. My knees hurt too much to go up and down the stairs too often so this may be helpful. I have been doing Wordsearch on my phone lately so that is helping while I am watching TV. I will try your water trick. It sounds like something I could do. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and thank you for the advice.

This is where the problem is rooted.

Change this up. Do not eat dinner while watching TV.

Eat dinner alone if you have to, in another room. Your husband can choose to join you if he wants. If he doesn't, stick to your path and eat by yourself.

As for the "tempting snacks" in the basement fridge...why are you doing this?
    Do not have tempting snacks in your home period!

Make a decision to be "all-in" for your health journey. Your knees will thank you.

I think this advice is a bit too extreme, verging on ridiculous. Lots of people find that their diet is more sustainable when they incorporate foods that they enjoy, as long as it works within their calorie goal. It's perfectly reasonable to have 'tempting snacks' in your home, if you find a way of eating them in moderation - as it sounds like OP has done. I see what you're saying about the television, but at the same time, compromising important social habits and making yourself miserable for the sake of a diet isn't going to help to build sustainable habits. It's important to be realistic.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Promise yourself to drink a full glass of water before snacking is thought about or a mug of flavored herbal tea.
    Microwave popcorn with the flavored powders is a low cal option. Count it though.
    You say you can't help it, it's a habit Only you can change bad habits and adopt new ones.
    What your husband does is one thing but you don't have to.
    An old dog can learn new tricks cause I am an old dog that has learned new tricks and it does work if you want it bad enough!
    NO TRY, DO!!!
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Just had a thought as I was reading your posts.
    Sounds like maybe you are doing for everyone else and forgetting yourself. How you "do" for yourself is FOOD! What do you do for just YOU?
    Think about it!
  • beany90a
    beany90a Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You could try smelling the food and then putting it back
    Listening to your favourite music so that your on a high
    Writing can speed time up and distract you
    A foot spa for 30 minutes?

• Nancela
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Just had a thought as I was reading your posts.
    Sounds like maybe you are doing for everyone else and forgetting yourself. How you "do" for yourself is FOOD! What do you do for just YOU?
    Think about it!

This is true. I care for my grandaughters and my mom. My husband also has some health problems. I do put myself last. But I am going to start swimming soon. I can't really walk too much because of my kness but swimming is a great way for me to exercise. I am waiting for it to warm up a bit. And I do what I am doing right now for myself.
  • Nancela
    Options
    Promise yourself to drink a full glass of water before snacking is thought about or a mug of flavored herbal tea.
    Microwave popcorn with the flavored powders is a low cal option. Count it though.
    You say you can't help it, it's a habit Only you can change bad habits and adopt new ones.
    An old dog can learn new tricks cause I am an old dog that has learned new tricks and it does work if you want it bad enough!
    NO TRY, DO!!!

When I think about it, my husband started the eating in fromt of the TV years ago. Our kids were at home then so I just said OK, if he is going to eat there we will too so we can be together. A big mistake. I am trying to change, bit by bit. I have lost a couple of pounds over the past few days just by coming here and listening to everyone. It has been really helpful and I appreciate people taking the time to try and help me and for letting me vent. Better than a shrink.

• dsboohead
    Options
    NO TRY, DO!!!

When I think about it, my husband started the eating in fromt of the TV years ago. Our kids were at home then so I just said OK, if he is going to eat there we will too so we can be together. A big mistake. I am trying to change, bit by bit. I have lost a couple of pounds over the past few days just by coming here and listening to everyone. It has been really helpful and I appreciate people taking the time to try and help me and for letting me vent. Better than a shrink.

Remember YOU! Move somehow someway! Not just waiting for warm weather. Again I reiterate, only you can make changes for you...no one else will do it for you or make changes for you but YOU!
  • RDJNowOrNever
    RDJNowOrNever Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’ve found a few snacks that aren’t super high in calories but that taste good enough to satisfy late cravings. Halo Top ice cream or Oikos Greek frozen yogurt are my favorites.
  • Nancela
    Options
    I’ve found a few snacks that aren’t super high in calories but that taste good enough to satisfy late cravings. Halo Top ice cream or Oikos Greek frozen yogurt are my favorites.

I eat greek yogurt and I will go to our Superstore and try some Halo Top. I hear it is highly recommended.

thank you.
  • Nancela
    Options
    NO TRY, DO!!!

Remember YOU! Move somehow someway! Not just waiting for warm weather. Again I reiterate, only you can make changes for you...no one else will do it for you or make changes for you but YOU!

I am starting to do a few weights and a bit of cardio. I am doing a chair workout because of my arthritic knees. This is why I need to swim. Really cold here up in Central Canada.