Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is 13 too young for a diet ?????

Replies

• breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    I don't believe that 13 is too young for dieting and especially educating but there's so much information out there these days that I think I would feel overwhelmed as a 13 year old. Thinking back to when I was 13, if I'd have had access to the internet then (besides for yahoochat :D ) I would have googled how to lose weight. I definitely didn't want to talk about my body issues with my parents or receive advice on how I could lose weight. I probably would have found some youtube star that I admired who lost the weight and just did whatever they did-- no matter how healthy or unhealthy it was.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    13 is too young for a diet, but definitely the right age to learn healthy eating habits and the importance of portion control and exercise. My spouse and I had a big discussion about this when our youngest was 8 and weighed 150 lbs. I found a nutritionist who works with kids only and thought this was a great idea. My spouse did not and we didn't enroll him in the program. I regret this decision because our child still struggles with weight issues 8 years later. He has grown 11 inches and gets more exercise than he did as a kid so his BMI is much better, but he still would rather eat icecream and cheeseburgers over healthier options. He is taking a Health/PE class in school and is finally getting educated about eating a healthier diet. The advice the nutritionist gave me back then was "everyone in the family needs to be onboard or it won't work. You can model good habits, but you can't get into a power struggle over food choices. French fries and cheeseburgers will always be more attractive than broccoli."

Absolutely agree with both of these points. The second point is the trickiest part of parenting imo, both parents have to be on the same page or the kid winds up losing out.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,722 Member
    I raised two beautiful daughters, one that was very self conscious about her weight and her height, she ended up stopping at 5'9" the other never struggled with weight until she had her first child. I never restricted anything but made sure I had healthy"ish" meals, kept dialogue open without lecturing and was there for them through the tears. They are both self-confident, beautiful young women who take care of themselves and their health.

I have a niece that has been obese since she was 4, was probably 200 LBS at age 14, she started believing that no one liked her because she was "fat" her word, not mine. No words anyone said meant anything to her, she would just get angry and defensive and eat more. She is 19 now, probably pushing 300 LBS, having more health problems than anyone should have at 80 let alone 19. She is severely depressed, has anxiety and absolutely no self-esteem. She is forever posting pictures online of massive unhealthy meals and then posting how ugly she is. She refuses to talk to anyone that tries to help her, especially anyone in the family or her doctors. Her doctor recommended gastric bypass 3 years ago, she wouldn't even consider it because her "weight isn't causing her problems"

I don't know the answer, I wish I did. Maybe if WW restricted this to the group meetings where all the teens were in the same boat it would give them a welcoming place that they probably don't have now. It might help to have a peer group that was supportive and a place they could feel safe to talk out their feelings and support each other.

I personally have found that the best lessons I ever learned or have been able to teach was through stories of real people and how they overcame adversaries or met challenges, not celebrities, real people they knew and could relate to. It might be worth it, it might be better than doing nothing. I think that there are a lot of kids that need something or someone and sometimes it's not family that can provide it.

• Snowflake1968
    My parents signed my brother and I up for a kids weight loss program when I was in 6th grade (4th for him). We were definitely fat and my parents were/are obese, so they wanted to spare us going into middle and high school as the fat kids but couldn’t really give us much guidance/motivation themselves. We had weekly weigh ins and meetings, paper food/activity logs, and some instructions on healthy choices. Since we were generally inactive (our family past time is reading) and while 80% of our food choices were okay, we didn’t learn much about portions. Some weight came off and when we both decided to really get it together in HS and college we had the basics—eat less junk, more veg/fruit, and move more. We’re both slim and fit as adults. Perhaps learning some gentle basics saved us from crazy crash diets. It definitely saved us from the hell that is being the fat kid in Middle School.

Long story short, it sounds great to say kids shouldn’t be allowed to use a program bc some might abuse it and that their parents and dr should be monitoring any weight control attempts...BUT

1) not all parents are equipped to model healthy choices for their kids, as we bemoan in many other threads. Mine certainly were not.

2) not all drs are capable/willing to do much with diet advice (again, something countless MFP threads bemoan when related to adults)

3) dieticians might be an option, but I’m guessing many parents don’t know what one is, can’t find/afford one/can’t figure out how to get insurance to pay for one so that might not be a feasible option (I’m thinking of the many big kids I see in my husband’s small,poor, rural hometown—I’d be shocked if there’s an RD within an hour’s drive). I didn’t know what a dietitian was until my20s when my mom needed one for her diabetes.

4) many teens concerned with their weight will take to social media/the internet/their friends for diet advice. None of those options (likely wo the knowledge or consent of their parents) sounds like a recipe for success.

So what resources can we give teens that are crying out for help? I’m not sold on WW being the answer at all, but we/they really need some type of reliable, healthy program. And I don’t think schools are the answer...a girl from my class was in my weight loss group and that was mortifying for both of us!

So...what to do? I think the whole conundrum is that everyone is terrified to come up with something and be held liable for some teen’s abusing the program and developing an ED, so we leave the kids floundering on their own.

You hit the nail right on the head. My parents didn't know how to teach healthy eating, I taught my girls healthier than I had, but still am learning myself. Access to dietician's, gyms, etc is costly and prohibitive for some parents, even us adults especially in small towns. Awesome post!
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    I have struggled with weight all my life. Thin parents, thin twin brother. I ate for emotional reasons. I had a healthy family life, nothing traumatic there but insecurity, despite labeled as an over achiever, was dealt with through food. Stress of any kind found comfort through food.

(BTW-just because my friends could drive and I could drive, didn't mean my parents lost control-that's a parental choice-one I exercise with my 16 yo, who drives)

Sometimes...it is not as simple as learning during a school class (and who do you think the other kids stare at when these things are discussed?) or your Mom & Doctor telling you. Especially if those people are thin and you are not. How can they understand your struggle?

I am not saying I am a fan of WW, one way or the other (though I agree the marketing is brilliant), I have never done it. What I am saying is that having an option to participate in a program where emotional support & eating advice encouraged me away from bad choices, would have been important and helpful to me at that time. Involvement with other people of my teen age who struggled and work through it with me would have helped me emotionally, far more than my Mom or Doctor. Achieving goals in weight loss would have built my self esteem.

Middle and high school kids are very judgmental...you always want to be part of the popular group, if you admit to it or not. Acceptance is really important. How great would it be to have a program of my peers (all with food issues) where understanding and acceptance were given...and the end goals were to help make us all healthy with good food choices. Parents participating or not?...I am on the fence. That can be a crap shoot, depending on the parent.

In this way, do I think a program for a 13 yo, or any teen "diet" can help...yes. But I guess my definition of "diet" may be a little wide. It is never to young to find out that you are OK, not alone in a struggle and there are people who will help and guide and teach you to cope without reaching for food. A general classroom education on the topic is worthless for that. I recall my parents being really dumb to me when I was a teenager...why would I listen to them? It is never to young to get expressions of joy when you accomplish a healthy choice goal.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I have allowed my 14 year old to sign up for MFP because she was upset about her weight as compared to her peers. She isn't actually over weight, just at the higher end of "normal" - but she wanted tools to help her make better choices and to see how different foods impact her so I decided to okay it. I did research to see how many calories she should be intaking and adjusted her goals accordingly. We are also exercising together 3 times a week.

We still have fun food, junk has not been removed from the house, and we focus on the learning aspect of making better choices. I think she also enjoys being able to lord over me about not logging my food (i'm the one who is overweight)

I do wish there was a more teen focused program that she could use, something that focuses more on the educational aspect of food. For example, she loves to see when something she eats hits a lot of nutrient goals.

I'm not sure if you realize this but 14 is a violation of the terms of service. She should be on a place like Spark Teens and not MFP. They have more information and tools geared for teens while MFP is strictly for adults 18 and over.

That's no longer a thing, unfortunately. If it's under the supervision on her parents and doctor I don't see why not.

Did they change the TOS? I feel old here now lol. I would highly recommend active supervision of any young teens knowing what goes on here. :fearful:

No they didn't, I just feel they should. I just feel bad for teens for not having any options.

Spark teens is where they usually get directed since it has similar tools and articles and a community as well but is teen focused.

Spark teens is no longer a thing. It hasn't been around in more than 2 years from what I've seen. That's why I feel bad for them, the only place they could safely watch their intake is gone.

The USDA has a site. Didn't check terms though
    https://mnew.supertracker.usda.gov/
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I have allowed my 14 year old to sign up for MFP because she was upset about her weight as compared to her peers. She isn't actually over weight, just at the higher end of "normal" - but she wanted tools to help her make better choices and to see how different foods impact her so I decided to okay it. I did research to see how many calories she should be intaking and adjusted her goals accordingly. We are also exercising together 3 times a week.

We still have fun food, junk has not been removed from the house, and we focus on the learning aspect of making better choices. I think she also enjoys being able to lord over me about not logging my food (i'm the one who is overweight)

I do wish there was a more teen focused program that she could use, something that focuses more on the educational aspect of food. For example, she loves to see when something she eats hits a lot of nutrient goals.

I'm not sure if you realize this but 14 is a violation of the terms of service. She should be on a place like Spark Teens and not MFP. They have more information and tools geared for teens while MFP is strictly for adults 18 and over.

That's no longer a thing, unfortunately. If it's under the supervision on her parents and doctor I don't see why not.

Did they change the TOS? I feel old here now lol. I would highly recommend active supervision of any young teens knowing what goes on here. :fearful:

No they didn't, I just feel they should. I just feel bad for teens for not having any options.

Spark teens is where they usually get directed since it has similar tools and articles and a community as well but is teen focused.

Spark teens is no longer a thing. It hasn't been around in more than 2 years from what I've seen. That's why I feel bad for them, the only place they could safely watch their intake is gone.

The USDA has a site. Didn't check terms though
    https://mnew.supertracker.usda.gov/

Even if the terms allow, this is what it said on the top of the page:
    "NOTICE: SuperTracker will be discontinued on June 30, 2018"

I mean, teens are going to take the matters into their own hands anyway. The internet is a sinkhole of bad info and they're more likely to be attracted to woo, especially with the lack of other resources (because few want the responsibility of creating suitable resources), and whatever is available either being short-lived or "uncool" (what kid would admit belonging to site made by the government?)

I wish people would stop walking on eggshells with teens. I get it, it's a sensitive topic that can go all kinds of wrong if handled incorrectly, but we need to stop treating them like they're incapable of using their brains. If there was a place where teens could get together and discuss weight loss matters (because you know, teens know better than boring adults set in their way) under supervision and gentle nudging to steer them in the right direction without them feeling helicoptered, but swift intervention if something is really harmful.
  • DebraWilliams1
    DebraWilliams1 Posts: 61 Member
    This is not new! I am 62 years old and I joined WW the first time when I was 13 with my mom. They had a separate diet for teens then - I was allowed 1 more bread or carb product per day, a slightly higher protein allowance and I think an extra fruit. This was a long time ago and they didn’t have they “point” system so it was more like 3 oz of this or 1 piece of that. But they’ve always had programs for teens.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member

The sort of activities increasingly young people engage in (not to mention all the horrific information that is available online)........ it would be nice if MFP registered as a blip.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    I’m all for early nutrition/health education. I’m extremely skeptical that a business with its own vested interests is the best vehicle for that education.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Definitely not too young for healthy eating habits and learning about better food choices. As with others, I'm wary of generic food programs and shy away from the whole "going on a diet" vibe. Don't really know enough about WW or their plans to say any more about it.
  • familiez0
    familiez0 Posts: 3 Member
    Are we too big or too small? Hmm..
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    side note - teach your kids to like vegetables! growing up rice and beans were considered vegetables in my life. legit i have eaten more vegetables in 2018 than i can say my entire teen years!

Lol. I grew up in the Midwest in the 1960s-1970s. "Meat and taters" were served at every meal or my dad would refuse to consider it a meal. Later my active-duty Army (now ex-) husband was the same way. Corn was considered a vegetable. Greens were unheard of unless they were boiled to death with bacon or fatback. Only a few vegetables were allowed in the house and we never tried any new vegetables. Salad was considered "rabbit food." Jam and jelly were considered fruit. Green jello, ketchup, marinara sauce and potato chips were considered vegetables.

We weren't unusual, either. This is how every one I knew ate. It was the way the schools fed us lunch, too.

Changing my focus to a more plant-based diet has been difficult to say the least. Changing my kids' eating habits has been even more difficult, especially since they are now adults.
  • Snowflake1968
    side note - teach your kids to like vegetables! growing up rice and beans were considered vegetables in my life. legit i have eaten more vegetables in 2018 than i can say my entire teen years!

Lol. I grew up in the Midwest in the 1960s-1970s. "Meat and taters" were served at every meal or my dad would refuse to consider it a meal. Later my active-duty Army (now ex-) husband was the same way. Corn was considered a vegetable. Greens were unheard of unless they were boiled to death with bacon or fatback. Only a few vegetables were allowed in the house and we never tried any new vegetables. Salad was considered "rabbit food." Jam and jelly were considered fruit. Green jello, ketchup, marinara sauce and potato chips were considered vegetables.

We weren't unusual, either. This is how every one I knew ate. It was the way the schools fed us lunch, too.

Changing my focus to a more plant-based diet has been difficult to say the least. Changing my kids' eating habits has been even more difficult, especially since they are now adults.

I am from the Maritimes in Canada and was raised with the meat and potato meals as well. We did eat vegetables in the summer though from the garden and home canned in the winter. I hate canned anything! I am still a very fussy eater and have trouble trying new things and I'm almost 50! It's hard to change the habits we grew up with. Good job for doing it for yourself.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Too young for a diet, yes. Not too young to be educated in nutrition, and how to eat to fuel their bodies, instead of eating to satisfy emotional cravings.
  • mlheideman
    mlheideman Posts: 42 Member
    My mom put me in 3 different weight programs starting when I was in 3rd grade. It was humiliating & I hated it.
  • Brittanyloses
    Brittanyloses Posts: 15 Member
    this sounds *kitten* terrible. She doesn't care about her weight because you care enough about it for the both of you. obviously you cared more about her being overweight then teaching her healthy habits and laying a good foundation. stop criticizing her weight and start supporting her.

rhenry2424 wrote: »
    As a mother of an overweight teen, I say no, 13 is not too young.
    Healthy eating and exercise has been taught in school to my kids since they were in Kindergarten. It is a part of their P.E. program now.

Obviously my teenage daughter (overweight) learned but did not practice. Her Dr. and I have tried to stress to her about her weight, but she just does not care. I have meal prepped, removed all "junk", etc, and she finds ways around to get what she wants or she does not eat at all. This has been a battle for years.

She workouts out at the gym everyday with me, but she will not change the way she eats. I can only do so much to help her. And now that she has friends that drive and she is about to drive herself, I will have even less control.

As far as weight watchers... that is another story. I am not a WW fan.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited March 2018
    a diet? yes. not too young to learn a solid healthy daily nutrition and exercise plan and implement it,.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    It really depends on how it's approached. Putting a 13-year-old on a diet against their will is a good way to put them in therapy when they get older. But teaching them how to eat healthy food in correct portions, and that exercise is awesome, will help them, even if they don't love it.