Do you eat the skin on your sweet potato?

Options
I got into a debate whether it's more common to eat the skin or not when you have a baked sweet potato. I have always eaten the skin, but my friend was so amazed that I ate the skin and said shes "never seen anyone do that or heard of anyone doing that in her life."

So I am wondering what you guys on here do. Do you eat the skin or just the inside? If you don't, do you on a regular potato?

Replies

• pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole thing
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely, there is a lot of goodness in there :)
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    yes, skin has tons of vitamins :)
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    YES! I love the skin :heart: And it is full of fiber and vitamins. Just make sure to clean it as dirt can contain some nasty heavy metals and bad stuff that you don't want to eat
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I think sweet potato skin is kind of chewy. Love white potato skin, and red, and Yukon gold.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Not intentionally (although a bit here and there is fine by me). The sweet potato "flesh" is very nutritious in itself and the skin seems papery to me. All in all, a great food!

I eat the skins of russet and red bliss potatoes, however. (But I eat them less frequently overall.)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    yep
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    yep
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    No, I don't eat the skin. I'm too lazy to scrub and clean my potatoes. I want the calories and the buttload of beta-carotene.
    I do love mashed potatoes though with the skin involved. More people should prepare it that way.
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yes! Love the fried skin too much
  • LadyElectron
    LadyElectron Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I’ve tried eating sweet potato skin but I don’t like it. It gets tough and chewy and doesn’t have a nice flavor like red or russet potato skin. I’ll get my fiber elsewhere thanks lol.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Yep, I eat the whole thing :smile:
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    No. I don’t like it at all, it ruins the taste and texture of the good stuff on the inside. I don’t care how many nutrients it has or how much fibre it has, I’m not eating it. I don’t like regular potato skins either! It’s like eating dirty paper. :confounded:
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    yep
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely: I enjoy it, plus there's extra fiber and nutrients!

The only time I don't is if I need very smooth sweet potato puree for a recipe. Even then, since they're much easier to peel after cooking, I'll scrub 'em up, roast, and mostly likely eat the skin on its own as a cook's treat. ;)

There was another thread about this recently . . . we converted some new people to skin-eating!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm a baked sweet potato skin eater. I scrub them and cut off any gnarly bits before baking, of course.