Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Nancela wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Promise yourself to drink a full glass of water before snacking is thought about or a mug of flavored herbal tea.
    Microwave popcorn with the flavored powders is a low cal option. Count it though.
    You say you can't help it, it's a habit Only you can change bad habits and adopt new ones.
    What your husband does is one thing but you don't have to.
    An old dog can learn new tricks cause I am an old dog that has learned new tricks and it does work if you want it bad enough!
    NO TRY, DO!!!

When I think about it, my husband started the eating in fromt of the TV years ago. Our kids were at home then so I just said OK, if he is going to eat there we will too so we can be together. A big mistake. I am trying to change, bit by bit. I have lost a couple of pounds over the past few days just by coming here and listening to everyone. It has been really helpful and I appreciate people taking the time to try and help me and for letting me vent. Better than a shrink.

Remember YOU! Move somehow someway! Not just waiting for warm weather. Again I reiterate, only you can make changes for you...no one else will do it for you or make changes for you but YOU!

I am starting to do a few weights and a bit of cardio. I am doing a chair workout because of my arthritic knees. This is why I need to swim. Really cold here up in Central Canada.

You are on a great path! Are you logging everything going into your mouth? If you doing everything that you know is needed to change your lifestyle......nothing and no one can stop you on that road to health!!!
    I too have arthritic knees. Losing initial 15 lbs had my knee pain change for the better significantly! I am so much happier knowing I am doing something for me and the dream of being lighter is the light in the horizon!
    My husband is happier too :D;)
  • kdpotter
    kdpotter Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is so hard. I have the same struggle. I have the best day and then the minute I sit down I just want to snack and watch t.v. Some of this is just a bad habit formed over the years, and I also think it’s how I cope with stress and anxiety of the day. Food is comforting. I have a hard and fast rule that I never break to help. I only eat at the dinner table. Even something as simple as a banana. I sit at the table and eat. I’m more mindful of my portions this way. I also have started making myself drink water before I have a snack. To make sure I’m “really” hungry not just head hungry. Hope this helps. Best of luck! The struggle is real.
  • mdburnitz
    mdburnitz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to do this too! Late night snacking was a problem for me, but I started brushing my teeth after dinner so I don't have an urge to get my clean mouth dirty haha. And then I crochet or knit while I watch TV! It keeps my hands busy and I'm no focused on snacks
  • Hopeful2BHere
    Hopeful2BHere Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate to this. Sounds like you're on the right path though. You're not alone!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Ditto like so many others. A late protein shake usually will douse my snacking urge pretty well. Getting away from the TV (bed with a good book) helps too.
  • EricRSRCP
    EricRSRCP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything to stop my night eating habit. My husband and I eat dinner and watch shows together. As soon as he leaves to watch his own shows and I watch mine, I have a ridiculous urge to eat something. I just can't stop myself. Any helpful ideas?

Do you eat late at night or after you sleep?
  • poss40
    poss40 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum works for me at night.