Keto life style

Options
Would like to attract keto enthusiasts who can share tips, equipment, etc.

Replies

• victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Following because I'm interested. Has anyone had any long term success with keto? Looks like a gimmick to me. The friends that I have who try it are yoyoing their weight loss and can't seem to keep it off once they get off the diet. I don't want to maintain a diet for the rest of my life so I just count calories, have reached my goal, and now maintain without needing to log anymore cuz I know the numbers. However, I'm really interested if people have found long term success with keto. If so how did you do it? Do you have to stay on it all the time? Is it a one week out of a month thing or a one month out of a quarter thing? I've never seen it work over a long period of time so I'd love to hear from people it has worked for.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    There has been some people who say they have had long term success with keto. It basically comes down to what satiates you. If it's fats, you should do fine on keto. If it's carbs or protein you're going to have a miserable time with it. It's not a magic pill though, you still have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight on it.
  • klenz525
    klenz525 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been keto for about 8 months and I know I will never go back to carbs, but I am a type 1 diabetic so I have medical reasons to stay keto. I'm not sure if my mindset would be the same if I wasn't diabetic. But either way, if you'd like to add me, I have an open diary for friends and I love keto and sharing advice! :)
  • KetoKitty666
    KetoKitty666 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You won’t be successful with Keto if you are a picky eater or someone who cannot appreciate alternatives; first step is to love the food that’s expected within the diet; you also gotta remember that although some can loose a lot with little or no added exercise but its not up to the food you eat to get you fit or tone muscles.
    I love carbs but I also love veggies; there are enough varieties to keep meals interesting; if you are a culinary type it can be quite a motivating lifestyle
    Good luck and keep with it!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Keto60man wrote: »
    Would like to attract keto enthusiasts who can share tips, equipment, etc.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

@Keto60man I joined this MFP sub forum and the members over the past four years have been very helpful with Keto info and tips.

Treating it as a lifestyle I think is key in my case.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The above group is very good. There is also a keto group that's quite active. You'll find more long term keto'ers in there.

I have been mainly keto fir a few years. I don't eat anything unusual though. I have leftovers, or bacon and eggs for breakfast. Lunch is often a tuna salad, veggies with dip, nuts or meats and cheese. Dinner is usually a meat and a veggie. If you did not know I ate ketogenic, you would not notice that I am eating slightly differently. No special equipment is needed beyond an oven, and maybe a barbeque and microwave.
  • oldkmom
    oldkmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've done well with the ketogenic WOE. I am (slowly) healing my body from insulin resistance and know that it will be a long-term/life-long process for me. I can't go back to carb-fests again. And, honestly, I really don't want to. My body feels so much better without grains and sugars. I do strict keto...my "cheats" are not planned and make me feel horrible, so it it getting easier and easier to resist items that actually make me sick.

I still have a way to go, but am keeping off about 60 lbs from June 2017. I have been very lax and have tried to just "limit" carbs, but that doesn't work for me. So, I'm going back to "strict keto" and try to hit my goal!