Kettlebell enthusiasts recommendations please

Anyone have a kettlebell recommendation via Amazon? Workout recommendations?

I saw an amazing transformation from someone a while back who primarily used a kettlebell and I have wanted one since. I have been wanting to tone for a while now and this sounds like a good start. :smiley:

Replies

• mdlowrance
    mdlowrance Posts: 20 Member
    I love my kettlebell but have not used a dvd when working out with it. I have had the Lauren Brooks DVD’s recommended to me, and I’ve watched samples and I like her style, but the dvds are expensive and I usually workout in my garage.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Pavel's books
    Sara Lurie's DVD on Amazon.
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Thanks workouts can be YouTube too kettlebell Amazon bc I have a gift card.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I have the Iron Core Kettlebell DVD (Amazon) and enjoy it. It has 4 different workouts so great bang for your buck. I enjoy the simple 1st one best.
  • stanmann571
    You'll definitely want a book that digs into what bell to buy and what bells to use.

Stay away from anything YouTube or Jillian Michaels/Chalean based. You'll end up learning poor form and using the wrong size bells.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You'll need a range of KB to have different weights for different exercises. Squats vs. overhead press or Turkish get up require vastly different weights. I prefer coated handles, but any KB will allow you to do the work and get results.

You can also use regular dumbbells for nearly every common KB exercise, even Swings for the same results and they're a lot less $. Just Sayin. People get too hung up on specific equipment. KB are fun to use for sure and more comfortable for a few exercises than DB, but both will let you achieve results. There is no difference between doing a goblet squat or farmers walk with a KB of DB. What gets results is YOU working consistently and pushing yourself to progress on a regular basis.
  • TeaAddictedGeek
    TeaAddictedGeek Posts: 11 Member
    I've been giving some of the KB workouts on DailyBurn a go, but am always looking for new ones!
  • ScottMermer
    ScottMermer Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2018
    I started with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY0iBRlQnBo kettlebell workout a few years ago. It is pretty simple and easy to follow.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    You've received some great advice here. I will also recommend Iron Core Kettlebell by Sara Lurie. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005FRWTSO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522090056&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=iron+core+kettlebell+by+sarah+lurie&dpPl=1&dpID=414ROZIMQ1L&ref=plSrch
    It's fairly inexpensive and the instruction is really solid. If you're doing that and reading Simple and Sinister by Pavel, you will be in a great place. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0989892409/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522090236&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=simple+and+sinister&dpPl=1&dpID=51DO-qD-cJL&ref=plSrch

Let's talk about what to buy as far as Kettlebells are concerned. I love Ader Kettlebells. As far as quality for the price is concerned, I like them the best. Kettlebell Kings and Dragon Door are among the best. It's also worth checking the used market, especially for the heavier bells. Starting weight for a lady. I'd recommend starting with an 18lb or 8K Kettlebell. You may want something lighter for the upper body lifts, but I wouldn't go lower than 12lb. A good starter set for a female beginner would be an 18lb, 25lb and a 35lb Kettlebell. Feel free to add that 12lb bell to the mix and buy the 35lb one later if you'd like. Here are some links for Kettlebells I'd recommend:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00884EEVQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522091283&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ader+18lb+kettlebell&dpPl=1&dpID=414WqK8ubrL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=
    I will also second the recommendation to stay off YouTube for Kettlebell workouts. I've seen a lot of fitness celebrities recommend doing really dumb things with Kettlebells and I've seen bad form. If you need form check videos, check out Karen Smith, Pavel, Mark and Tracy Reikfind, and Lauren Brooks. Personally, I really like how Karen Smith breaks down the movements.

Kettlebell training is super fun. I wish you the best!
  • MyLovesMyLife
    Wow thank you so helpful y’all
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    You'll definitely want a book that digs into what bell to buy and what bells to use.

Stay away from anything YouTube or Jillian Michaels/Chalean based. You'll end up learning poor form and using the wrong size bells.

You made me laugh here but so true! I bought a Bob Harper tape too a while ago - 70 minutes of KB fun, not!!! You should not be doing 70 minutes of KB work!

What Stan and Julie said!! Both on the Lurie DVDs and also on Pavel Tsatsouline (or Dan John).

One useful thing I found (even though I agree with Julie and Stan that great quality fixed sizes that are powder coated are the best) is that when I started I got a 20 lb adjustable one. It might not be a terrible idea to use an adjustable one just as an entry level one. I prefer, now, the fixed ones but when I was starting the adjustable one served a purpose, though they can be expensive.
  • Catho36
    Catho36 Posts: 107 Member
    I love 10 Minute Solution - Ultimate Kettleball Fat Burner [DVD] on amazon, intense 50 minute workout, I use 10lb kettlebell and feel the burn! Great results
  • MyLovesMyLife
    Catho36 wrote: »
    I love 10 Minute Solution - Ultimate Kettleball Fat Burner [DVD] on amazon, intense 50 minute workout, I use 10lb kettlebell and feel the burn! Great results
    10 mins or 50? Wow 10 lbs nice

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You'll need a range of KB to have different weights for different exercises. Squats vs. overhead press or Turkish get up require vastly different weights. I prefer coated handles, but any KB will allow you to do the work and get results.

You can also use regular dumbbells for nearly every common KB exercise, even Swings for the same results and they're a lot less $. Just Sayin. People get too hung up on specific equipment. KB are fun to use for sure and more comfortable for a few exercises than DB, but both will let you achieve results. There is no difference between doing a goblet squat or farmers walk with a KB of DB. What gets results is YOU working consistently and pushing yourself to progress on a regular basis.

Also, I don't know where you're getting DBs for a lot less than KBs. A dollar a pound or less is pretty much standard on the secondary market. I've even gotten a few new for less than that.

I've gotten most my DB at Goodwill for about .50 per lb. Buying new, and I just did a random check at Dick's SG, DB are about $1/lb and KB about $2/lb.
  • MyLovesMyLife
    Didn’t even think of Goodwill that’s a great idea.
  • Catho36
    Catho36 Posts: 107 Member
    Hi sorry I wasn’t clear. 10 minute solutions is a series of exercise dvds that is broken down into 5 10 minute sections, you can do just 10 minutes, mix and match the sections, or as I do use it as one complete 50 minute workout
  • stanmann571
    Didn’t even think of Goodwill that’s a great idea.

Craigslist is great, especially this time of year. I got a set of 8 Ader's(Pair of 16, 24, 28, and 32) for about .70 a lb for the lot. Granted, I didn't really want or need the 28 Kilo ones, but They're a nice bridge and If I ever decide to I can sell them back the same way.
  • MyLovesMyLife
    Thanks appreciate the ideas. My husband doesn’t like CL anymore too many scary stories. But I’ll definitely be checking out Goodwill and Play it Again
  • MyLovesMyLife
    Hi sorry I wasn’t clear. 10 minute solutions is a series of exercise dvds that is broken down into 5 10 minute sections, you can do just 10 minutes, mix and match the sections, or as I do use it as one complete 50 minute workout

Thanks for clarifying