Sugar, hoping my post will be encouraging

Options

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    We, at least, used brown sugar and cinnamon on our toast. Never had it with white sugar.

We used white sugar, but with (of course) cinnamon, and lots of butter. Did it in the broiler (on a slice of whole wheat bread, since that's what we had, heh). It was an occasional snack, and did no harm. Wouldn't have substituted for a meal, and probably not even a huge number of calories.

The butter was an essential part of it, as was the cinnamon. Sugar sandwich seems to convey sugar between two pieces of bread, nothing else, which sounds disgusting to me, but cinnamon toast was tasty.

Yea, the sugar would fall off without some yummy butter slathered on the bread. Maybe the OP means more along the lines of a fat and sugar sandwich. When I made this as a kid, my sister and I were latchkey kids and left to our own devices, would make them open face. LOL
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Are there other foods or food components that we'd feel a lack of if we just cut them out completely? Caffeine comes to mind, but I'm sure there'd be physical and other symptoms if we just went 0 protein one day, or 0 fibre. Does that mean those things are bad?
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was brought up on mayonnaise sandwiches. Two peaces of wonder bread with nothing but mayo inside.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I still eat peanut butter brown sugar sandwiches now and then. Yum. ;)
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My 40 year old husband still eats buttered toast with white sugar and cinnamon. I never had that as a child, but my dad was unemployed for a while and I remember eating lots of mustard sandwiches. Whole grain bread and yellow mustard. I always thought it was pretty tasty, and I think I’d rather have that than a sugar sandwich.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    My mom made me sugar sandwiches too. A piece of Wonder bread with butter and a few tablespoons of sugar and some cinnamon, then put it in the toaster oven. I just can’t.

Sugar sandwiches? So it's more like cinnamon toast made into a sandwich? Lol, I'd have loved that when I was a kid. Made plenty of cinnamon toast but never thought of making a sandwich out of it or I'd have done it lol.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    We ate sugar toast, mustard sandwiches, mayo sandwiches, potato chip sandwiches, and pickle sandwiches. We weren't necessarily poor, but I think there wasn't a variety of snacks available back then, so we got creative with what we had!
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Sugar sandwiches were definately a thing in the 70s. Not toast.
    My husband grew up poor in Boston. His mom made sugar sandwiches for her kids often. It was literally 2 pieces of wonder bread with butter and white sugar as the filling.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Which dried fruits?

Dried Fruits for me means raisins, currants, prunes, as well as cherries, apricots, dates.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Which dried fruits?

Dried Fruits for me means raisins, currants, prunes, as well as cherries, apricots, dates.

My point was that dried fruit is loaded with sugar, either naturally occurring or added. I guess the point I was trying to make was a fail.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Which dried fruits?

My point was that dried fruit is loaded with sugar, either naturally occurring or added. I guess the point I was trying to make was a fail.

Natural fresh fruits are apparently full of sugar too. But I can relate to the posts at the beginning about growing up on sugar. We didn't have sugar sandwiches, but we had sugar water when my parents couldn't afford to buy nice juices or even drink crystals or concentrates to make drinks at home. Now the new craze is sipping water all day long, and we're learning we should just simply have drank that water plain without adding sugar back then.