• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    1houndgal wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Which dried fruits?

The Dried fruit that is made up of................sugar ! Lol

Fruit sugar (fructose) is "sugar" fyi. Dried fruit is concentrated fruit sugar and weighs per gram than does the fruit it came from. Eat the actual fruit if you want to cut down on your simple carb ("sugar intake") intake.

But a prune contains exactly the same simple carbs as a plum. With a glass of water alongside, it's the pretty much same thing, including satiation.

Unless you overeat the dried fruit, or extra sugar has been added, there's not much difference.
    I was thinking of over eating the dried fruit when I wrote what I wrote.

But as a type 2 diabetic, usually it is better to eat a filling piece of fruit than a dried piece of fruit for your blood sugar.

There can be a place in your diet for dried fruit and other dried foods (unless you want to be in ketosis ).

I personally like piece of candied ginger when I am nauseated, and I measure it. I eat it with a meal. And... my dog likes it also.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    We ate sugar toast, mustard sandwiches, mayo sandwiches, potato chip sandwiches, and pickle sandwiches. We weren't necessarily poor, but I think there wasn't a variety of snacks available back then, so we got creative with what we had!

^Yeah, but the best was open faced with butter and white sugar. Sometimes we even would have an "air sandwich", which was two pieces of white bread. Where was our mother during these food fests I wonder,lol.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    fresh bread with thick butter and sugar... BEST FOOD....EVER! :laugh:
  • ravergirl1992
    ravergirl1992 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I only wish I was as strong as you, I just can't do it. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs and I exercise a lot. So I figure I can have one vice lol
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    We ate sugar toast, mustard sandwiches, mayo sandwiches, potato chip sandwiches, and pickle sandwiches. We weren't necessarily poor, but I think there wasn't a variety of snacks available back then, so we got creative with what we had!

I had tomato ketchup sandwiches as a child, still do occasionally!

I would dip my potato chips in ketchup!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I had tomato ketchup sandwiches as a child, still do occasionally!

It grossed out mom but I liked to dope white bread with a heavy layer of mustard. I still use it by putting 4 packets of mustard on my 1/4 pound fresh beef patty before I coat it with a side of dehydrated onions at McDonald's and eat it like a pie.
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,042 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hey all, this topic has been cleaned. Please stay on topic.

This is not a debate about whether sugar is addicting or not. If you'd like to debate that, please make your own topic here: Debate: Health and Fitness

Further debating about whether sugar is an addiction or not, in this topic, will result in warnings.

Regards,
    Nova
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The premise of the opening post seems to be that because OP felt bad when giving up sugar, sugar (in any amount) cannot be good for ANYONE, and that everyone would be better off in avoiding sugar.

IMO, that conclusion is not logical and does not follow. Mainly because OP started by explaining that she ate EXTREME amounts of sugar -- which hopefully most of us here do not, or stopped without making a big thing about -- and ate it to the extent that it affected her ability to enjoy most savory foods or even water. I think that's pretty unusual, and to assume that's a situation that is applicable to most people (so as to suggest that sugar is not good for any of us, in any amounts) is, IMO, a mistake.

OP then concludes that sugar must be bad for all of us because she felt bad cutting back on it (she doesn't seem to have cut out even added sugar). But I've cut out added sugar and did not feel bad, and then added it back in in moderation and found I felt good (and had no cravings) so long as I ate a sensible diet. So why would OP's experience be applicable to all? (she says sugar cannot be good for us, again).

I mean, rather obviously, excessive amounts of added sugar aren't great, and added sugar that leads to excessive calories or replacing more nutrient dense foods isn't a good idea. I think we probably all agree that in most cases added sugar should be in small amounts (if you like it in tea, say) or as part of a treat, not central to the diet. I am sure this is not controversial -- and I am confused when people seem to think it's somehow news. But is a healthy nutrient dense diet that contains some added sugar (as, I note, OP's seems to even during this Lent experiment) BAD for us, for all of us (as OP seemed to be claiming)? I don't think so, and that's my disagreement with the OP.

Now, of course, if you do eat excessive amounts of sugar, or a poor diet in any other way (for me focusing on what you DO eat, like adequate vegetables and protein, always seems a healthier way to start than with what you do not), you should change your diet, and I -- as stated above -- congratulate and encourage OP for doing so. But I think why the reaction -- and what the OP seems to me to be raising to discuss -- is this notion that somehow what she did demonstrates something about sugar being bad for all or about what we all should be doing (even those of us who don't eat lots of sugar?). I don't know -- I find the topic a little confusing, so if you think I'm off topic I apologize and I would appreciate a gentle correction as to what the topic is, if not this.