• JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    1) good running shoes
    2) moisture wicking clothing
    3) watch
    4) gum
    5) runkeeper app on my iphone

I do not listen to music while running. I want to be able to hear everything around me...traffic, my breathing, my steps...It's great to be able to listen to that stuff compared to hearing my 2 kids fighting :smile:
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    *2Toms' Sport Shield works better than Body Glide. It is a roll-on and is slicker.
    *Wrights Running socks are my favorite--two thin layers, totally prevents blisters for me. Adidas Formotion running socks are also good.
    *The Moving Comfort Sera II bra is the only one that doesn't chafe at 15+ miles for me. It is seamless, very comfortable, no motion whatsoever but it doesn't smash you totally flat either.
    *I like the Vanilla Gu gels best but am not too picky about long run nutrition. I can't choke down whichever one is made with rice (Powerbar gel, I think?) or Honey Stingers. gross!
    I usually race in a skirt because they tend to have more pockets for gels and stuff. The Brooks Motion is long enough to not look obscene if you end up wearing it all day and has loads of storage. I don't like running in pants, but when it's freezing here, I will do the Underarmour Frosty Tights.

Best of luck! These preferences represent years of trial and error (and bloody chafe marks) so you are smart to ask!
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Loving all the posts and people's suggestions - would love to know what brand, type of pant all the women out there are wearing? I currently am working with a pair of fitted cotton pants that I love :love: but they are getting old and starting to wear. So I am in need of a new pair and would love some suggestions. :happy:

I have a few different kinds. In a capri style I have 2 from new balance, one from adidias and one from lululemon. One of the new balance ones has weird seaming and chafes, so I don't use it for longer runs. The others are all good and I really don't have any complaints. I also have a long pair of saucony running tights for when it gets colder. I love those!
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Loving all the posts and people's suggestions - would love to know what brand, type of pant all the women out there are wearing? I currently am working with a pair of fitted cotton pants that I love :love: but they are getting old and starting to wear. So I am in need of a new pair and would love some suggestions. :happy:

I never run in cotton. Just a personal preference, plus I sweat like crazy. My favorite pair of running pants is from road runner sports.com. I am also a huge fan of runningwarehouse.com and they offer free two-day shipping and free returns. I'd suggest just ordering a bunch of pairs and then returning what doesn't work. That's what I always do.

The brand of pants I have from Road Runner is actually their store brand. They've worked well for me.
  • lucky1304
    Options
    *2Toms' Sport Shield works better than Body Glide. It is a roll-on and is slicker.

+1 on the 2Toms!!

ETA: I'm going to have to try the MC bra mentioned too. I have permanent scars from the chafe marks my bras have left (and that's WITH 2Toms). My doctor was horrified when she first saw them. I think she thought someone was beating me at home. I also second the running skirts for racing simply because of the pockets.
  • lucky1304
    Options
    I'm gearing up for my first half as well.

Enjoyed hearing the feedback.

For a fuel belt...how do you keep your water cold? Or do you not mind it warm?

I never bothered with trying to keep my water cold. But you could freeze it before you go out, and then it will be cold as it thaws. I'm not sure how heavy it would be that way when you're starting out though.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I'm gearing up for my first half as well.

Enjoyed hearing the feedback.

I never bothered with trying to keep my water cold. But you could freeze it before you go out, and then it will be cold as it thaws. I'm not sure how heavy it would be that way when you're starting out though.

Probably the same as when it wasn't frozen?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Probably the same as when it wasn't frozen?
    And it won't be sloshing around, either. This sounds like a good idea, all around.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Bump......Great post :)
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think this has been mentioned before but a bag of frozen peas (I prefer the baby ones -- Green Giant or Trader Joes). Not to eat, of course, but to place on any sore spots after a run. They work a treat to prevent minor pains from becoming bigger problems.

Also, I absolutely, positively give myself a thorough leg and foot massage/rub down after I run (especially long runs). This is a trick I picked up from Jeff Galloway and it seems to do a wonderful job of cutting down inflammation. I haven't had a shin splint in years!
  • yellowdog77
    Options
    bump
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Awesome info...bump for later
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    my must haves:

spibelt
    visor
    sport beans (I found a flavor I like & bought a case on amazon for a really good price)
    wright socks
    water resistant headphones (I used to use cheap ones, but they died in the flying pig monsoon of '10)
    Bodyglide (I really like the liquified powder verson more than the stick)

For races I try to find a funny/seasonal headband (the kind with springy/sparkly 'horns') so that DH can find me again pretty easily if he has to stop to pee.

I love skirt sports brand. The shorts do ride up a little on me, but the skirt is there to cover so I don't get self concious like i do in regular shorts. They are more $$ than most, but I really like the quality & fit. (and they sell them on zappos so you can get free shipping!)
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

For a great, light hat try the Nike lightweight hat, it is awesome and wicks away moisture as well.
    [/quote]

YES!! I have 2 and I love them....I have one I use for outside and one for the gym.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I really really do appreciate all the responese and suggestions! Thank you all so much for your time and ideas.

Just as an FYI...for any bargain shoppers, check out Marshall's and TJ Maxx... I bought some New Balance lightning dry shirts for $9.99 and also a pair of lightning dry running shorts for around $12 or $14. And, my Nathan hydration belt for $16.00 ...same thing was $35 at Sports Authority.
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options

I never run in cotton. Just a personal preference, plus I sweat like crazy. My favorite pair of running pants is from road runner sports.com. I am also a huge fan of runningwarehouse.com and they offer free two-day shipping and free returns. I'd suggest just ordering a bunch of pairs and then returning what doesn't work. That's what I always do.

The brand of pants I have from Road Runner is actually their store brand. They've worked well for me.

I have yet to run in anything but cotton and so far I really like them but I guess I should enter the new age and get a proper pair of pants. Thanx for the tips and hopefully I can find something and they will ship to Canada =)
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options

For a great, light hat try the Nike lightweight hat, it is awesome and wicks away moisture as well.
    [/quote]

YES!! I have 2 and I love them....I have one I use for outside and one for the gym.
    [/quote]

I have 2 of these hats as well, they are awesome - best hat out there!!
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    Cotton???? Yuck. Once you go to a tech fabric, you will never go back. Cotton absorbs and retains water and keeps it close to your skin which prevents you from cooling properly. Its like running covered in wet towels by comparison.

Cotton also causes chafing on the skin... nothing worse than blistered nipples.

Tech fabrics including DryWeave, Coolmax, LighningDry etc, wick moisture away from the skin keeping your cool. They breath very nicely and are almost frictionless against the skin.
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful little forum here, I am a beginner runner so seeing this advice is very helpful. My goal is to run 5 miles a day and I am far from it right now, I have been pacing myself to build endurance for the long run. I've already been asked to join a 5 and 10k run but I am far from ready. It is great to see likes and dislikes for running attire though, very helpful.
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options

I have yet to run in anything but cotton and so far I really like them but I guess I should enter the new age and get a proper pair of pants. Thanx for the tips and hopefully I can find something and they will ship to Canada =)

Check out the Running Room... there is one in Lethbridge (Mayor McGrath location) I also buy some of my stuff from Old Navy, LuluLemon and even Walmart is carrying some of the dryfit stuff.

Old Navy had a sale not too long ago on their RecTech stuff. Ended up buying 2 pairs of shorts, and two shirts for $20.

But cotton... ewww.