Warm water vs Cold Water?

Options
I've never really had an issue with drinking my required intake of water. Like most people I just stuck to drinking cold water, but I've heard that warm water has way more benefits than cold water when it comes to health and weight loss.

I mean if its better than I'll immediately drop cold and switch to warm.
Do you guys drink warm water or cold?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What would those benefits be? How would it work?
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    The temperature of your water doesn't affect your health or metabolism. It's a matter of personal preference.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Unless water has calories in it, it won't affect your weight loss.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    ap1972 wrote: »
    chenie1994 wrote: »
    What would those benefits be? How would it work?
    They say it improves digestion, metabolism and it hydrates you faster than cold water does.

I don't know about any of those but cold water needs to be heated to body temperature so it burns a few calories to do this

This is about the only thing it could do extra for you but my guess were talking 1 or maybe 2 calories to heat up to body temp so don't think that is a long term plan.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It does nothing of consequence. Drink your water however you like.

There is no magic secret for weight loss. Not warm water, not lemon water, not apple cider vinegar, not raspberry ketones, not [insert whatever you've heard here].

Eat fewer calories than your body uses. That's it. The end. Seriously.

This^^ all day long. The stuff you see in articles and blogs and what people say around the workplace are mostly nonsense. There is no secret hack that makes all the difference. Eat less than you burn. That's it.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    It does nothing of consequence. Drink your water however you like.

There is no magic secret for weight loss. Not warm water, not lemon water, not apple cider vinegar, not raspberry ketones, not [insert whatever you've heard here].

Eat fewer calories than your body uses. That's it. The end. Seriously.

But I heard that eating 1/5 of a pizza is the only way to lose weight.......

Would that still work if I ate an entire pizza cut up into 1/5th? Or does it have to be exavtly 1/5th?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    chenie1994 wrote: »
    I've never really had an issue with drinking my required intake of water. Like most people I just stuck to drinking cold water, but I've heard that warm water has way more benefits than cold water when it comes to health and weight loss.

I mean if its better than I'll immediately drop cold and switch to warm.
    Do you guys drink warm water or cold?

It really doesn't matter...there are no magical benefits of warm water.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    There are no magical effects of drinking warm water... I drink hot water in winter because it keeps me feeling warm and ice cold in summer to keep cool :smiley:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you are doing endurance cardio where your ability to absorb water from the stomach is reduced anyway - then cold is better for getting it there.

http://www.velonews.com/2009/12/training-center/nutrition/coaches-panel-which-is-better-warm-or-cold-water_101908

Once there though, doesn't matter.

So unless you are pressing the edge of body performance for endurance - don't worry about it.

Ugh, warm water, just made me not want to drink my next cup.
  • weequay
    weequay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "In a study published in "The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism" in 2003, researchers monitored calorie burning after participants each drank 500 milliliters of water, which is just over 2 cups. They found that the water temporarily boosted metabolism, causing participants to burn an extra 24 calories. So drinking one 8-ounce glass of water burns about 12 calories. By drinking 2 liters of water per day, you could burn nearly 100 calories."

- https://www.livestrong.com/article/296653-how-many-calories-does-drinking-one-glass-of-water-burn/

Pretty consistent with poster above. About 12 calories per glass.